GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script And so it begins... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And so it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins...

Two letters have turned up, one from 1st Credit and one from Close Credit Management.

Neither of them say what it's for just that they are "attempting to contact the above named regarding a personal matter", and to call them.

Two significant differences in the letters are the CCM letter states an address I lived at in 2005, and the 1st Credit letter states that "If no response is received within 10 days of issue we will assume that you are the individual we wish to contact and will of course ensure that all relevant correspondence is sent to you".

Any ideas?

Re: And so it begins...

Originally posted by asm76 View Post
    Two letters have turned up, one from 1st Credit and one from Close Credit Management.

Neither of them say what it's for just that they are "attempting to contact the above named regarding a personal matter", and to call them.

Two significant differences in the letters are the CCM letter states an address I lived at in 2005, and the 1st Credit letter states that "If no response is received within 10 days of issue we will assume that you are the individual we wish to contact and will of course ensure that all relevant correspondence is sent to you".

Any ideas?
    Ignore both, surely?

How did a letter at an address of 2006 reach you then?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I moved out of the address they state on the letter back in 2005, around October/November time if I recall rightly.

I assume they found me using a linked address on my credit report?

Comment

I moved out of the address they state on the letter back in 2005, around October/November time if I recall rightly.

I assume they found me using a linked address on my credit report?
        Hmm, that's about right - see, they think they are clever but we can see right through them

I'd just leave it, it is a chaser designed to make you sweat and contact them, just ignore it and use it as loo-roll for now!
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

"If no response is received within 10 days of issue we will assume that you are the individual we wish to contact and will of course ensure that all relevant correspondence is sent to you".
          Which would be a clear breach of data protection if they then disclose any details of the debt, or even the fact that they are chasing a debt.

It's not legitimate for them to make that assumption based on lack of response.

They have a duty to ensure they don't disclose information to 3rd parties.
          Last edited by Riz; 5 April 2011, 10:21.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
            Which would be a clear breach of data protection if they then disclose any details of the debt, or even the fact that they are chasing a debt.
            Quite right, however breaching DPA and DCA's come in the same breath really don't they!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Quite right, however breaching DPA and DCA's come in the same breath really don't they!
              They do indeed.

Does need pointing out sometimes though, as they couch these things in phrases that almost make them seem reasonable. Which is of course what they hope people will think.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ok, ignore mode *on*

It's funny because MH used to send me letters worded like that all the time, then I'd never hear anything back. The only time they did respond was for a debt to BT they said I owed. One call to BT and it was cleared up and they recalled the debt from MH.

Comment

Ok, ignore mode *on*

It's funny because MH used to send me letters worded like that all the time, then I'd never hear anything back. The only time they did respond was for a debt to BT they said I owed. One call to BT and it was cleared up and they recalled the debt from MH.
                  McKenzie Hall can be one of the better ones, but then again - nah - scrap that! They are all dire right now.....

I just hope we get some sort of higher regulation in place, and quickly too!

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                    They do indeed.

Does need pointing out sometimes though, as they couch these things in phrases that almost make them seem reasonable. Which is of course what they hope people will think.
                    Yep, totally agree - thing is it's clearly a chaser (speculative) letter and yet they make it so obvious what it's about, makes you think are they technically in breach for each chaser they send cos they pretty much spell out the problem, anyway?

Hmmmm

Comment

Both letters just state "personal matter"...nothing relates to a debt. However, it's obvious to me that's what it is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Yep, totally agree - thing is it's clearly a chaser (speculative) letter and yet they make it so obvious what it's about, makes you think are they technically in breach for each chaser they send cos they pretty much spell out the problem, anyway?

Hmmmm
                        It's gotta be at least borderline, I agree.

Comment

Yesterday 1st Credit first deleted then added exactly the same information to my Equifax report.

What was that in aid of?

Comment

UPDATE:

Received a letter from Arrow Global that relates to an Orange debt. Apparently they now own the debt and Close Credit Management will operate this account on Arrows behalf.

So the debt is from around 2005 and is for £192.94. I left Orange to go to O2 after they cut me off 3 times in one month by mistake, I've been with O2 ever since. I thought it was paid off, obviously not. I don't have any paperwork relating to this anymore, it was binned years ago when I moved house.

Not sure if I should just pay it, what with it being such a small amount...
                            Last edited by asm76; 8 April 2011, 12:55.

Comment

An interesting letter from 1st Credit today:

"Special Low Discount Opportunity"

YOU PAY HALF
                              WE PAY HALF

Mr asm76,

Barclaycard - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Balance - £1603.93

1st Credit believes in helping it's customers to pay off their outstanding debt whilst saving them money. We are now in a position to apply a very large discount to your account for one month only. Unfortunately, this could be the only time we can offer such a generous discount on your account.

Take up our offer this April and all you need to pay is £801.97.

Or we can offer you one of the following deals:

Pay in May and we will write off 30% of your balance: YOU PAY £1122.76
                              Pay in June and we will write off 20% of your balance: YOU PAY £1283.15
                              Pay in July and we will write off 10% of your balance: YOU PAY £1443.54

If you wish to take us up on any of the above offers the please call on 0843 320 0000 or follow the instructions on the back of this letter.

Please be aware this offer is limited and will be withdrawn when redemption limits are reached.

Gavin Flynn
                              Head of Collections

What are "redemption limits"?

Comment

Working...
                              X