GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script And so it begins... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And so it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so it begins...

Here's my take. As a matter of principle I always ignore the first letter from any DCA as often they never write again.

However, I haven't read the whole post, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but LFO have not actually even written to you about this debt yet, only to say that someone has applied for credit in your name at a differrent address.

If this is the case, then all Link are doing here is informing you that they have assigned the debt they claim they own in Absolute (do you know this for sure) to LFO. I would still take the view that until LFO themselves contact you with something purposeful to say about this, I would ignore and file safely away.

Comment

Thanks. A quick update on the Link issue:

Oct 2010: Get hounded by phone calls from Link day and night about a "debt". They won't give me details because I won't confirm my details over the phone As I didn't know who they were. Ask them to put it in writing and get told to "stop being so stupid". Had my phone number changed.

Hear nothing until:

April 2011: Start getting letters saying someone has tried to get credit in my name.

May 2011: Another letter saying someone has tried to get credit in my name.

June 2011: Yesterday I get that letter.

(My dates may not be exact, but I can't be bothered going back to old threads, but you get the gist lol!)

This all relates to a debt taken out in 2003. I was an alcoholic at the time (not an excuse), but I don't remember when I last paid anything towards this debt, all statements etc thrown out due to many house moves/drunken hissy fits. I was defaulted in Nov 2005.
      Last edited by asm76; 1 July 2011, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by asm76 View Post
        I was defaulted in Nov 2005.
        So when was the last payment you made towards the alleged debt?

As has been mentioned sounds like this is moving towards being Statute Barred (do you live in UK or Scotland) and so they are bringing out the big gun template letters into scaring you to calling them.

Best

SnV
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

That's just it S&V, I don't remember when the last payment was made. It must have been before Nov 2005, and the debt is from Oct 2003.

I live in the UK.
          Last edited by asm76; 1 July 2011, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
            So when was the last payment you made towards the alleged debt?

As has been mentioned sounds like this is moving towards being Statute Barred (do you live in UK or Scotland) and so they are bringing out the big gun template letters into scaring you to calling them.

Best

SnV
            Sorry should have said England or Scotland

Well proof is on the DCA to show when the last payment was made towards the account.
            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

lol... Yeah, I live in England!

Comment

Do those oiks have your telephone number?

Comment

OK, so what I said a few posts ago still stands. LFO have contacted you twice, both times unlawfully claiming credit application has been made in your name but at a different address. Now Link (not LFO) have contacted you saying they've done an Equitable Assignment to LFO and asking you to pay them.

So what do you do?

My honest opinion........ absolutely nothing, except file the letter away and keep it safe. LFO have yet to actually write to you themselves with anything of any substance. Until they do, then you have nothing to say to them.

It would be interesting to see an SAR request as they'd have to send those two credit applications wouldn't they, and I have just a sneaky suspicion, call me sceptical, they may not exist.

Comment

@CleverClogs - They did have my phone number and they hounded me day and night, but each time they called they wouldn't tell me why they were calling. I knew they were "Link Financial" because that's how they introduced themselves, but I didn't ever confirm my details over the phone to them. I asked them to put it all in writing and they said they couldn't because "that would incur a cost", and they told me to "stop being so stupid" when I point blank refused to confirm who I was. It was when they had a pop at my girlfriend on the phone I emailed Sky and asked very politely if I could change my phone number, which they willingly did. I now have a completely different phone number that I don't give out to anyone. They initially started calling after I updated my credit file, so I know for a fact Experian passed on my details.

@Caspar - I'm not going to CCA or SAR them at all, I'm going to maintain radio silence until they actually threaten court. Then I will hit them with both the CCA and SAR requests to keep them occupied until November, when the default drops off my file. That way I know for definite it's Statute Barred, it's just, at the moment, I haven't got a CLUE when I last paid anything towards the debt, so ignoring them is my best option right now.

Personally, I believe the debt is SB, and Link are chancing it. Or they haven't got an agreement/proof other than what was passed to them on a spreadsheet from the original creditor. After researching them on various consumer forums I can see they have a reputation of taking things to court. But it has been 10 months since the first contact and they've done diddly squat other than send me a few letters that I've pretty much just laughed at.

Comment

Wise move - deffo ignore for now. Also if you do a SAR you'll be admitting to the debt; a cca (s.78) won't be.

Just sit tight and if they write we'll sort you a suitable response to send off....

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok, so if I get a letter of any substance I'll send in a CCA request.

Nice one

Comment

Noooo let us know first. We'll change a cca to ensure the wording is risk free of resetting the limitation period.

No rush - if they write tell us what they say and we'll guide you along. You wouldn't wanna balls it up a few months before SB would you...! People have, that's all I'm saying
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks. I pretty much head straight here if I get a letter so I'll keep this thread updated with whatever I get.

OH, BTW Niddy, I've head nothing from the other DCA we spoke over PM about for ages

Comment

Nice one - let's hope it stays that way eh?

But yea, just let us know and pm me if they get threatening then I'll sort you a safe response to send off.

Cheers mate

Comment

I got a letter this morning from Link, I can't be bothered to type it all out because I'm time limited due to the birth of our Son William on Sunday, but I'll jot down some of the big scary writing...

Something about "THIS DEBT IS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY", and how they were "going to look at my credit file to see how this debt is to be repaid"... call them on 08 blah , blah...

So still nothing of any seriousness.

Comment

Working...
                                X