GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script help for hubby - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help for hubby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for hubby

My husband has a credit card debt of just over £6000 ( its been brought about by years of job losses and redundancy, swapping from one credit card to another to gain advantage of the interest free credit periods so he could meet the minimum payments each month) Around 12 months ago the minimum payments increased from what he was already struggling to pay to what was nearly treble and impossible to pay. He contacted the credit card company (MBNA) and said he would not any longer be able to reach the minimum payments each month and sent them a breakdown of in and out goings. They seemed to drag their feet over this but while a minimum payments was trying to be reached my husband lost his job which he informed MBNA of straight away, we were waiting for correspondance from MBNA then my husband suffered 2 heart attacks and emergency heart surgery plus a shoulder injury so his claim for JSA went to a claim for ESA. On discharge from hospital he contacted MBNA again and stated what had happened. MBNA said they would freeze the interest and cancel his credit card and would still send my husband a monthly bill telling him to pay what he could ( which was a token payment of £5 per month) They did state in a letter that his debt may be sold onto a 3rd party and after 9 months they have done this ( without letting him know, he found out after contacting them because his monthly bill hadnt arrived) On contacting them he was told that his debt had been sold on to a company called Arrow Global he asked for this to be put in writing which he hasnt yet recieved but he has recieved a request from Arrow Global asking for a run down of in and out goings. My husbands ESA is £65 per week, my wage is £106 per week our rent is £42 per week and Council Tax is £15 per week along with food, gas, electric, water rates etc there is little to none left at the end of the week.
    So what he would like to know is what can he expect from Arrow Global? he obviously cannot pay to clear his debt there are no assests, no savings, he does own a car worth from what we can gather £850 to £1000.
    Is he entitled to apply for DRO? if he did apply for DRO would that affect me in any way? ie:- would my car be taken into account? even though the debt is not mine
    Are there any other options available for this situation?
    Awaiting your reply
    Thank You

Re: help for hubby

Hi Ali

I also had an MBNA card which was assigned to Arrow Global. Niddy said the agreement was unenforceable and, after a few letters, I haven't heard from them for a year!

I agree with FP that a DRO may be drastic. Let us know when the card was taken out and we'll be able to help further.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the replies
      Hubbys just contacted MBNA and requested a CCA ( it will take 10 days they say) He took the credit card out in October 2000
      hope this helps we will let you know when the CCA arrives
      Ali

Comment

I honestly doubt anything as formal as a DRO etc... is needed here.

Do you have any other debts?

Do you know if the debt has been assigned to Arrow Global to collect on behalf of the original creditor, or has it actually been sold in full to them?

The main thing for your husband at present is not to worry and to look after his health. That is far more important than money. They cannot take what you have not got, nor should you be put under any sort of pressure to force you to pay an amount you cannot comfortably afford.

Comment

Originally posted by ali2012 View Post
          Thanks for the replies
          Hubbys just contacted MBNA and requested a CCA ( it will take 10 days they say) He took the credit card out in October 2000
          Ali
          That's a great start. It's very possible with the date that it was taken out that it will be unenforceable.

Email the agreement to Niddy when you get it - use the 'Email Agreement' button in his signature and put your user name in the subject line. Don't blank anything out as he needs to see it all.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the replies
            Ali
            I get the feeling your hubby asked for it over the phone? am i right?

If i am, please follow it up in writing, make sure you send it recorded delivery and inclose the £1 postal order.

They can agree to do anything on the phone, but dont have to actually do it.

Comment

Thank you
              as far as he knows the whole debt has been sold to Arrow Global ( the woman from MBNA on the phone when he rang to see why his monthly bill hadnt arrived said " its out of MBNA's hands now" then said its with Arrow and gave him their telephone number and said to contact them)
              He phoned Arrow who said they would send a letter and a debt repayment plan assesment ( which we havent filled in yet do I HAVE to put my details on it?)
              On the letter he has recieved from Arrow Global it just says
              Debt owed to Arrow Global Guernsey Ltd

He/we dont have any more debts this is the only one.
              thanks again
              Ali

Comment

thanks just done the template for arrow will get it sent registered post tomorrow, so I need to send a letter to MBNA ( reiterating what was said on the phone today)
                and send this template to Arrow
                yes?
                and while im here is it a good idea to also send a letter to Arrow asking to be contacted by letter only and not phonecalls?
                Ali
                Last edited by ali2012; 20 February 2012, 18:40. Reason: left some details out

Comment

thanks I wont then
                  should I send a letter asking for postal contact only?
                  Ali

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                    I honestly doubt anything as formal as a DRO etc... is needed here.
                    I 100% second that mate - Ali, when you get the CCA email it me, in the meantime don't do anything with this, absolutely no need to go formal at this stage on an MBNA card from 2000

Whatever you do, please STOP talking to the muppets on the phone you really need to get out of that bad habit
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

should I send a letter asking for postal contact only?
                      see last post - nope, sit tight and let me know when you get the CCA back
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

ok thanks
                        yeah hubby has said himself he did the wrong thing phoning them but when MBNA asked him to you just think your doing the right thing dont you
                        nevermind lesson learnt
                        Ali

Comment

yeah hubby has said himself he did the wrong thing phoning them but when MBNA asked him to you just think your doing the right thing dont you
                          It's cool, just get into the mindset to ignore phone calls from em

Keep us updated

Comment

Hubby's CCA from MBNA came today its been emailed to Niddy
                            Thanks
                            Ali

Comment

Hope its got to him ok I couldnt do it from the site link so I had to copy & paste his email address and send it from my email account ( bit thick on pc's :-( )
                              Ali

Comment

Working...
                              X