GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

I have a warning here, based on bitter personal experience, for anyone thinking of buying a new desktop or laptop computer. Do NOT buy anything which has Windows Hate installed as the operating system, unless you are able and prepared to scrap it completely and install Linux Mint.

I like to think that I am not a moron. I have made extremely few poor purchasing choices in my life, mainly because I take the time to read extensive reviews of everything I am considering buying. I also buy over 90% of all goods from Amazon, who have the best and fairest return policy. Despite this, I have never had to return any consumer product until this very week.

I bought a new laptop running Windows Hate. I know, I know. I honestly thought that it couldn't be that different from Windows 7, which I thought was a pretty good operating system. I was able to use 7, and use it fast, to get done what I needed to do.

The PC, because of Windows Hate, was entirely unusable in its raw state. The first shock was that there was no start button or menu – no way of accessing programs. The second was that there were ridiculous menus which would appear on the screen for no reason every time I tried to move the cursor. To make matters worse, the PC was loaded with spam and bloatware, some of which was even designated to be the default media.

When I installed my audio files, they tried to play in some brainless spam program called X Box – whatever happened to Windows Media Player? OGG and FLAC files wouldn't play in anything! This was a relatively minor problem, as downloading foobar2000 and making the right file associations was quickly able to overcome it and get me back to full functionality.

The other problems were not so easy to solve. The lack of a start menu is crippling in the extreme, but I was finally able to solve it. Downloading a free software called "StartW8" gave me back the needed start button and menu, and solved that problem.

The problem of the insane menus appearing on the screen every time I tried to move the cursor was a different matter altogether. A program called Skip Metro Suite was supposed to be able to disable this idiotic "functionality", but it did not work. All of the settings I applied were the correct ones, but there was no change. The larger and more comprehensive program Classic Shell is also supposed to be able to disable these diabolical difficulties, but that didn't work either. Yes, I had the right version. Yes, I chose all of the right settings. Still absolutely useless.

At this point, with many hours wasted and no solution in sight, I was left with the choice of editing the registry, or just returning the PC to Amazon as unusable. Apparently, the registry edit is only a partial solution even if it works, so, there was only one choice to be made. Back to Amazon this piece of junk will go, hopefully for a full refund.

That is a lot of time wasted just to prove that Microbug Windows Hate is such a vile obscenity that it renders a PC entirely unusable. Do yourself a favour and get hold of a Windows 7 machine while they are still available. God alone knows what the future will bring.

Linux Mint? I would like to try it one day, but it simply cannot run the software I need. Izotope RX-2, in particular, will only run on Windows. As of now, I need a Windows 7 or XP computer to be able to function. I only hope Linux improves in compatibility, because this is desperately needed now to allow the world to escape from Microbug hell. The world of personal computing has never looked more bleak, and the outlook is as black as sin. For now, there are probably enough 7 machines left to give you a fighting chance, but how much longer will this endure? I have to admit to being seriously worried.

For now, whatever you do, avoid Windows Hate!

SH

Re: Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Indeed SH, looking around it doesn't look too good does it?

Here's quite a graphic review : Windows 8: The 10 biggest problems so far | ITworld

I'm like you, I use Amazon constantly, they're brilliant at refunds so I hope they sort this out for you.
    If not, why not wipe it and install Windows 7?

Elsa x

Comment

I recently helped someone set up a W8 machine, and found it utterly hideous. I got this laptop earlier in the year and I'm very glad I got one with Windows 7.

Saying that, 1st thing I did even with that was to set it up with a dual boot of k/ubuntu. 99.9% of the time I run linux on it.

When I do find that I must use a Windows programme for something, then I'll for preference run it under Wine or in a Windows virtual machine.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry to have to disagree with you on this one! I now have windows 8 on 3 computers, love it. Start menu programs, easy. Open explorer window, click view, then tick hidden items and close it. Right click the taskbar and select toolbars, new toolbar. Now choose a folder, select the hard drive and go to. CProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs. Select it and add it as a toolbar. It appears on the right of the taskbar. Click the arrow next to it and up pops the start menu. To turn computer off, drag curser to right of screen, click settings, there is the power button. Media centre is free until end of January, look up Media centre for windows 8 pop in your e mail, then you will get a product code sent to you. However, this laptop that I am working on, has Windows 8 but I can also boot to Ubuntu 12.10 which I also love.

Comment

They decided to remove media player on standard releases, i do believe its an added extra to buy though. (Saying that, i believe i can get hold of it for free if anyone wants it)

Windows 8 default look is similar to the way Windows media centre used to start up, but it was easy enough to get rid of that shit and revert it back to the old windows desktop style, which i find suprising it wasnt easy to do in win 8. But Enforcer seems to have cracked that one. I personally havent used win 8 yet, and dont intend to.

From what i can tell, win 8 really only serves a good purpose for tablets and smart phones. I cant see it working well for desktops and laptops, but maybe ill be proven wrong at some point.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I use Windows 8 on my 2 main desktops, running QuickBooks professional accounting for my business, also use office small business on these 'putters. Ideal stable and sound operating system for any business. Just click on the desktop icon and you are back to your standard 'puter. Also remember that the basis of this system is Windows 7. Go search type in Windows 7 file and you will see W7 backup and restore.
            Media player is still there, but Media Centre is available free, I also installed tunerfree MCE so you can watch hundreds of TV programmes for free.

Personally I cannot fault Windows 8! Nor Linux Ubuntu 12.10 Both great systems!

Comment

PS I used windows 8 on this laptop to reply.

Comment

I was looking at the HP laptops with detachable keyboards that turn into tablets advertised on TV, unlike the other tablets, they come with a full version of Windows to run proper programs rather than 'apps' and was thinking of getting one, till I saw the prices: £799 to £999.

They come with Windows 8, I have Windows 7 on my laptop and am happy with it. Is Windows 8 substantially different?

Comment

Try it and see, online upgrade to Windows 8 is only £24.99. This gives you the FULL pro version.
                  If you are undecided, download the iso file and save it. Burn to DVD, and install it dual boot with windows 7. Then you can easily switch between systems. Guarantee that if you play with it for long enough to understand how it works, you will ditch 7!
                  Go to apps store in windows 8, download learn windows 8 and Windows 8 guide. Both Free, and get to use it.
                  This system is a gift! Just looked at box with XP Pro Version 2002. I paid £259.99 then.

Comment

Whilst we may disagree over operating systems. I really looked forward to your posts. You have had me and my wife in stitches laughing at the letters you have posted on the forum. I know that you have reached SB on your supposed debt. Congratulations.
                    Please don't leave us though as your help and advice is invaluable to new members.
                    You treat the DC's with the absolute scorn that they deserve. Really encouraging.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Didn't know you could get Windows 8 for just £24.99. My Win7 came with the laptop, I've never bought a version of Windows because they usually come pre-installed. In the old days you used to get a disk but now it's just a recovery partition.

Comment

£24.99 is via a digital download. You can buy the complete system and a start up disk for £49.99 this has 32bit and 64bit Operating systems in the box.

Comment

Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows

For upgrade ONLY by the looks of it.

Comment

But if I already have Win7 I reckon I should be able to use the upgrade.

Comment

My Son brought this and although it says upgrade you can do a clean install.

Comment

Working...
                              X