GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    go into programs -> add remove programs -> select / click on Adobe reader X -> right click / select the "uninstall" option.

So delete Adobe X / Adobe Reader and then reinstall. Shockwave (if installed) etc will be fine

You must uninstall the existing program prior to downloading the Adobe tool / installer
    Thanks, I've now started that process.

What I can see is that Adobe Flashplayer 11 plugin was installed on 29th November the same day/night as my Windows 8.1 update which may/may not be a co-incidence.

So I'll uninstall that tomorrow but how do I install the substitute? Presumably I go to Google and as for the Adobe website.

Comment

I've posted a link to Adobe above. Click that

Delete the shockwave update too. Makes sense. May be linked
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok, check Adobe & update if it tells you to --> http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

If that doesn't sort your pdf's right click on one and open with -> select default PDF reader - select it as default / always open with this program option.

If neither work don't worry, we can uninstall / reinstall Adobe and that will sort it but first check for Adobe version update
        Adobe link for Adobe installer tool / checker
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Adobe link for Adobe installer tool / checker
          OK thanks.

If you ever need your boiler fixed just give me a shout - I'm good at that even if I know f*ck all about computers

Comment

Haha

Worse case i could remote in and sort it for you - that'll be fun

Comment

I've cracked it

I uninstalled Adobe and reinstalled it like you said, and bingo everything works again. It's a posher version with new toys (I can convert PDFs into Word etc) so it'll take a bit of getting used to. The problem was Windows 8.1. wasn't compatible with my Adobe thing.

Thank you so much for your usual endless patience and for not being patronizing

I struggle because computers don't behave in a logical way. They are a law unto themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                I struggle because computers don't behave in a logical way. They are a law unto themselves.
                Quite the opposite lol - they do behave logically hence we worked through a small list of things which resolved the issue...... It had to be the updates and/or something associated with said updates.

Glad you got there in the end

Comment

Well there'll be no more updates allowed from now on that's for sure !

Comment

Well done planB
                    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                      Well done planB
                      Thanks IF. I got so stressed while it was malfunctioning that I lost 3 lbs so not all bad

Comment

Thanks IF. I got so stressed while it was malfunctioning that I lost 3 lbs so not all bad
                        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Well there'll be no more updates allowed from now on that's for sure !
                          Now you have updated Adobe to a newer version there should be no problems with further updates to Windows.

Sounds like it was the age old - Old outdated Software no longer compatible with the OS and one of the Updates updated a core OS file that the old version of Adobe relied on to function.

Unfortunately I see this scenario most days :-)
                          I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

I think what you have if not paid a subscription is a trial version of Adobe X1 Full, it will revert back to Adobe Reader once trial ends.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                              I think what you have if not paid a subscription is a trial version of Adobe X1 Full, it will revert back to Adobe Reader once trial ends.
                              Golly, I hope I'm not going to have to go through this nightmare again. It didn't ask me to sign up to any trial period in the link Niddy gave me although I admit I didn't stop to read the Ts & Cs before I downloaded it

check Adobe & update if it tells you to --> http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

If that doesn't sort your pdf's right click on one and open with -> select default PDF reader - select it as default / always open with this program option.

If neither work don't worry, we can uninstall / reinstall Adobe and that will sort it but first check for Adobe version update

Comment

No you won't. It's fine - you can ignore that post from Pompey just now.

Comment

Working...
                                X