GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

It is going to take a lot more than a Start button to make me ever trust a Microbug operating system again. That omission was relatively easy to correct with third party software, but how do you cope with a system which puts idiotic menus on the screen every time you move the mouse?

When I say I found Hate entirely unusable, I mean it literally. The nearest comparison I could find was that of a vehicle driver, who, every time he moved the steering wheel, would have a silly picture come across the entire windscreen. If that happened to you, how long could you stay on the road?

It is a desperate shame that Linux is not supported well enough for us to use that alone. As an example, the PrimoPDF software for windows will print emails to PDF, and the links remain clickable. Cups-PDF will print emails to PDF in Linux, but the links are not clickable. Not good enough. I still have to boot into Windows to print off emails.

It will be a long time before used PCs running XP or 7 disappear from the market, and hopefully by then Linux will have the support it deserves. It is certainly by far the easiest operating system to use, as long as there are no hardware compatibility issues when you are setting it up.

SH

Comment

I should have popped in previously but forgot

Having read this thread (and in other discussions with SH on another thread) I came to the conclusion that I would stick with Windows 7 when replacing littlun's laptop.

It is an os that both she (from school) and I are both familiar with and I'm so glad that I made the effort to shop around online for her new laptop to get one with Windows 7.

One day, I might be brave enough to give Linux a try, but for now, I'm happy to stick with Windows.

So for all that have posted, thanks
      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I use Windows 7 on my fastest PC, and I can work quickly and accurately with it. It has got a few quirks I don't like, but they are minor issues and easily tolerated.

However, it shouldn't be a choice between 7 and Linux. You should be able to partition the disc and add a Linux operating system for free, so you get the best of both worlds. That is what I have done on all 3 of mine – the main one has Windows 7 and Linux Mint 14, the second desktop has XP Pro and Mint 14, and the laptop has XP Home and Mint 13.

When you boot the PC, you get a menu from which you can choose the OS for that particular session. I'd always recommend having the versatility of a dual-boot system if your PC supports it. Remember, also, that you can test Linux Mint from a USB stick just by booting from that – you don't have to actually install it to give it a try. Just remember that it will run a lot more slowly from USB than it would if you did install it, so don't expect miracles!

SH

Comment

ScabHunter will love this:

Windows 8 to reintroduce annoying paperclip

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post

.....dear god....nooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Windows to bring back the 'START' button for Windows 8

Amid lacklustre take-up of Windows 8 and a declining PC industry, Microsoft could be set to rethink its strategy for Windows 8.....Linky:
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

When the years warranty is up on this laptop i am having windows 7 back on , i hate hate hate windows 8

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                  When the years warranty is up on this laptop i am having windows 7 back on , i hate hate hate windows 8

Hmm good luck!

Comment

New release 8.1
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Got 8.1 on this laptop and my 2 main computers. Brilliant OS. My server recognised them straight away, everything works as it should.

Comment

I think the main reason folk have issue with it is because the start button has gone and thus panic sets in, however this is easily over come with a little add in that puts the start button back to where it was with other versions.

Comment

Windows 8.1. Start button is back! right click windows icon. Bottom left hand corner, links to everything you need.

Comment

Yes indeed it is I was more referring to win 8 and when it was first released, Microsoft realized there mistake and brought it back in 8.1

Comment

The reason i hate windows 8 is that if i make a quick movement with the mouse it swipes the screen to the side like a phone and takes me to the icons on the desktop, if i download this new 8.1 will this stop it happening, also i can't transfer any of my photos from the digi camera to this laptop as i can't find them in it anywhere i have loads of my grandson i need put on my laptop ?

I am rubbish at pc's so any help is gratefully appreciated please and thank you

Comment

Does windows 8 not recognise your camera?

If you open file explorer on the taskbar, bottom left, you should see your camera on the list. It may be shown as a drive

Comment

Working...
                                X