GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

I'm almost there. I can see about 20 updates installed on 29th November so do I uninstall all of them?

Comment

Yes. All. One at a time
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Yes. All. One at a time
        Thanks.

I can't wait to get to item No 6 on your list so I can nip out to Waitrose for vodka supplies which are running low after the trauma of that Windows 8.1 update

Comment

While in updates - turn off automatic updates
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

While in updates - turn off automatic updates
            I've already told the machine to ask me nicely next time it wants to do an update, and I'll let it know first.

I'm busy uninstalling all the updates but I'm working with blind faith here so I hope you and Riz aren't playing a practical joke on me. You'll soon know if I don't login ever again!

Comment

You'll be fine. Reboot as and when asked and work through them all one by one

Comment

Reboot as and when asked and work through them all one by one
                Now you tell me. It just asked me if I wanted to reboot "now" and I said "No" because I thought I had to wait until I'd done them all.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                  Mind telling us why
                  Proof of my point (bugs) above (planQ) - as it happens mate

planB to C to D to Q......

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    Now you tell me. It just asked me if I wanted to reboot "now" and I said "No" because I thought I had to wait until I'd done them all.
                    yea next time do it as if you don't the kernal can corrupt if one isn't fully uninstalled whilst you start another. If it asks do it now yea

Comment

• Re: Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

yea next time do it as if you don't the kernal can corrupt if one isn't fully uninstalled whilst you start another. If it asks do it now
                      Oh no, I did a reboot and I've gone back to the Control panel and it's showing loads of updates as being installed today! How can I have done that if I uninstalled them?

I'll carry on uninstalling the ones dated 29th and then I go back to this tomorrow because I'm getting very stressed out.

Comment

It might update the deleted files with replacements. Leave today's updates. Just delete the old ones first. That's all

don't stress

* when it originally updated the files it overwrite / deleted the source file. So now that you've deleted the update means it might need to install the default file again hence today's date is showing. You can't stop those files or your system will corrupt.

Comment

I've deleted all the files which were updated on 29th Nov (the Windows 8.1 update).

The new updates/installs are for Office, Outlook and Excel only. There are no new updates for Windows because I stopped that (I presume).

Everything looks the same as it did after the Windows 8.1 update. The opening screen changed and some features changed and they all remain the same. I'm happy with that.

The only problem is the same problem as earlier today which is that every PDF I open shows the same content regardless of it's content. It's now switched to a different one. When I open PDF A, and then when I open PDF B, it shows me the contents of PDF A, and so on when I open PDF C, D, E etc. which is weird.

I truly thank you for your help so far and I'll get back to this tomorrow. I feel such a failure when I can't understand computers

Comment

Ok, check Adobe & update if it tells you to --> http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

If that doesn't sort your pdf's right click on one and open with -> select default PDF reader - select it as default / always open with this program option.

If neither work don't worry, we can uninstall / reinstall Adobe and that will sort it but first check for Adobe version update

Comment

check Adobe & update if it tells you to --> http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

If that doesn't sort your pdf's right click on one and open with -> select default PDF reader - select it as default / always open with this program option.

If neither work don't worry, we can uninstall / reinstall Adobe and that will sort it but first check for Adobe version update
                              I have a feeling you're right about uninstall/reinstall Adobe which may mean my version is not recognized by Windows 8.1.

Can I just download/install a new Adobe thing (tomorrow) which will overtake the one I've got which isn't responding to Windows 8.1 without an uninstall because I can't find it anywhere on my laptop?

I've managed to get my scanner to convert documents to PDF not JPG so the day has ended well. Even though I can't open and read them, you can apparently so that's a start

Comment

It won't overwrite if the current version is newer so best to go into programs -> add remove programs -> select / click on Adobe reader X -> right click / select the "uninstall" option.

So delete Adobe X / Adobe Reader and then reinstall. Shockwave (if installed) etc will be fine

You must uninstall the existing program prior to downloading the Adobe tool / installer

Comment

Working...
                                X