GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Credit card defaulted without notice? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit card defaulted without notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit card defaulted without notice?

Hi,
    my OH and I have a credit card account with Sainsburys. We got into difficulties last year, and Sainsburys agreed to us paying £24 a month, no interest or fees. The arrangement came up for renewal, and we received a letter on the 23rd March confirming the new arrangement, also at £24 a month, but this time saying interest and charges would continue to be debited. We carried on paying this amount. However, on the 2nd May we received a letter form Wescot informing us that they had been instructed by Sainsburys to collect the outstanding balance on their behalf. So, I'm confused, have Sainsburys defaulted the account without letting us know? What about the arrangement they agreed to? Can I ignore Wescot and complain to Sainsburys? What should I say? All suggestions gratefully received.

Re: Credit card defaulted without notice?

Hi and wellcome

Do you have any other debts ?
    could you answer the 2 questions below

• Date commenced (ideally before Apr 2007)

• Approx balance

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi,
      thanks for replying.

We took on the Sainsbury credit card in 2004, and the approximate balance is now £2,400.

And yes we do have other debts, unfortunately!
      Two other cards have defaulted us despite agreeing to lower payments,plus a Barclay card in my name, which so far has not defaulted, and still allows me to make reduced payments, and a
      Cahoot flexi-loan, defaulted and under Wescot, who have accepted a reduced payment of £17 a month until 2035!

The debts are just about manageable, with reduced payments, I just don't understand why Sainsburys agreed an arrangement, then called in Wescot? Is it worth making a formal complaint to Sainsburys?

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyBell View Post
        Hi,
        thanks for replying.

We took on the Sainsbury credit card in 2004, and the approximate balance is now £2,400.

And yes we do have other debts, unfortunately!
        Two other cards have defaulted us despite agreeing to lower payments,plus a Barclay card in my name, which so far has not defaulted, and still allows me to make reduced payments, and a
        Cahoot flexi-loan, defaulted and under Wescot, who have accepted a reduced payment of £17 a month until 2035!

The debts are just about manageable, with reduced payments, I just don't understand why Sainsburys agreed an arrangement, then called in Wescot? Is it worth making a formal complaint to Sainsburys?

Thanks for any advice.
        Have you read this ? -----------> UPDATED - A Full Guide to Unenforceability
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

• Give us this info on all your debts and we will have a look
          • Type of account (credit card/loan)

• Date commenced (ideally before Apr 2007)

• Approx balance

• Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)

• Are you on arrangement or not paying

• Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)

• Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender)

Comment

Hiya

Ok, regards selling the account - a lender is entitled to sell the account to any third party debt collector at any point throughout the relationship between you IF you miss at least one payment. As you have, regardless of the fact you're in an agreed payment plan, they can (and do) still sell accounts.

To be honest you may be best CCAing them and lets check the status of the debts prior to continuing with this dreadful payment plan till 2035. No need for that, that's bollocks to be quite frank!

As for defaults, most the lenders will default you, its best to get that over with now so don't worry about that cos once defaulted, that's it - they can only do it once so best to get them all over with early doors.

I would list the debts as asked above then we'll clarify for you....
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi, here is the info, sorry it took a while -

Sainsburys credit card, opened in Aug 2004, approx balance £2,400.
              Last full payment, about June 2011, have had an arrangement since then, to make reduced payments, which I thought had recently been extended for a further 6 months. Received letter from Wescot last week to say they were now taking over the debt. They are phoning me evenings with a recorded message asking for my husband, I just press the button to say he's not here.

Cahoot Flexi-loan, taken out in July 2005, approx balance £4,700. Last full payment about March 2011, had an arrangement to make reduced payments, but they defaulted me in February 2012, debt is now with Wescot, who have kindly lowered the payments to £17 a month.

MBNA credit card, taken out in September 1999, approx balance £6,960. Last full payment, I'm not sure, probably April or May 2011. Arrangement to pay reduced amount from last July, account defaulted in January 2012. Account sold to Link Finance, they have agreed to keep to payment plan for next six months.

Barclaycard, taken out in July 2000, approx balance £7,200. Last full payment probably June 2011. reduced payment plan from then on. As far as I know still not defaulted, and they are the only one to note the arrangement on the statements, and not keep telling me I have failed to make a minimum payment. Comes up for review in July or August, probably change then.

And finally, a John Lewis partnership credit card, taken out in July 2004, when it was a store card, which I much preferred. The balance is about £8,860. Last full payment about June 2011, on an arrangement to pay reduced payments at the moment, but they defaulted me in December 2011, and I think they may want to sell the debt now.

Well, that's all, it sounds really dreadful when you spell it out like this. I'm having sleepless nights as it is. When we sorted out arrangements last year to make reduced payments, I sort of thought things would improve, but I guess its a steep learning curve.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comment

Hi, here is the info, sorry it took a while -

Last full payment, about June 2011, have had an arrangement since then, to make reduced payments, which I thought had recently been extended for a further 6 months. Received letter from Wescot last week to say they were now taking over the debt. They are phoning me evenings with a recorded message asking for my husband, I just press the button to say he's not here.

Cahoot Flexi-loan, taken out in July 2005, approx balance £4,700. Last full payment about March 2011, had an arrangement to make reduced payments, but they defaulted me in February 2012, debt is now with Wescot, who have kindly lowered the payments to £17 a month.

MBNA credit card, taken out in September 1999, approx balance £6,960. Last full payment, I'm not sure, probably April or May 2011. Arrangement to pay reduced amount from last July, account defaulted in January 2012. Account sold to Link Finance, they have agreed to keep to payment plan for next six months.

Barclaycard, taken out in July 2000, approx balance £7,200. Last full payment probably June 2011. reduced payment plan from then on. As far as I know still not defaulted, and they are the only one to note the arrangement on the statements, and not keep telling me I have failed to make a minimum payment. Comes up for review in July or August, probably change then.

And finally, a John Lewis partnership credit card, taken out in July 2004, when it was a store card, which I much preferred. The balance is about £8,860. Last full payment about June 2011, on an arrangement to pay reduced payments at the moment, but they defaulted me in December 2011, and I think they may want to sell the debt now.

Well, that's all, it sounds really dreadful when you spell it out like this. I'm having sleepless nights as it is. When we sorted out arrangements last year to make reduced payments, I sort of thought things would improve, but I guess its a steep learning curve.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
                If it was me I would send ----->CCA Request
                Let's see what comes back read this ------> UPDATED - A Full Guide to Unenforceability ....so you know what your letting yourself in for

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Do you think I should send a CCA request to all of them? Think I recently got the details for the Cahoot Flexi-loan as I tried to claim back some of the excessive Interest charges. They said no, so sent details of to FOS.

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Do you think I should send a CCA request to all of them? Think I recently got the details for the Cahoot Flexi-loan as I tried to claim back some of the excessive Interest charges. They said no, so sent details of to FOS.
                    Yes CCA them all.......

Comment

Most likely enforceable but send off a CCA request......

Most likely to be unenforceable, most flexi-loans are

See what they send by way of CCA info...

99.9% chance of unenforceability, as above - see what they send with the CCA request.

Possibly unenforceable....

Read this ---> Do you have a Store Card to Credit Card? - allaboutFORUMS

Is this the same as your case...?
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok guys, thanks for your replies, will send of CCA requests tomorrow. Will post updates when I hear anything.

Comment

on a side note its a good point to mention that some credit cards will default you whether you have an agreed repayment or not, and some wont.

arrangement to pay and agreed repayment are two different things, one is valid for 6 months usually without interest and charges, the other is just a reluctant acceptance of your offer on their part, can incur interest, charges, and will usually result in default notice being issued.

Comment

One or two questions:

Do I send the CCA to the original lender, or the DCA, if the debt has been sold?

Do I still keep paying them? I'm just about managing the payments.

Barclaycard have not defaulted me, in fact when I checked my credit history this morning on Noddle they haven't even given me any sort of black mark.

With reference to the John Lewis Partnership card, I'm not sure of the start date, it might just be when they transferred the store card to a master card. I don't remember being given an option to keep the store card, in fact I assumed they had closed the store cards down, but have since found out that that is not the case. Will CCA them and try and find out.

Comment

One or two questions:

Do I send the CCA to the original lender, or the DCA, if the debt has been sold?
                              To whoever is writing to you
                              Do I still keep paying them? I'm just about managing the payments.
                              Stop paying them, the sooner you're defaulted the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X