GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Link Financial - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Link Financial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Financial

Hi all ;Hi

Recently, I have been receiving phones calls for Link Financial. One day I picked up the phone without thinking and was asked for by name, I didn't confirm who I was, but the guy on the the other end said he was calling from said company and was looking for [my name]. I asked what it was regarding but he wouldn't tell me, and he just kept asking for my personal information which I refused to give. He told me to "stop being so stupid" at this point 1

He claimed to have written to me "at least 10 times" over the years, but I haven't received any correspondence, he then proceeded to read out one of my old addresses they'd sent their letters to. I have always changed my addresses when I've moved, so I can't understand why they are writing to the wrong address.

Anyway, I told him that if he can't tell me what it's about then they should stop calling. They didn't stop calling, usually at ridiculous hours, so I got Sky to change my phone number...that shut em up ;-y

Checking my credit file, I believe this is for an Abbey debt (loan) dating back to 2004/05 and I don't know if it's statute barred as I can't remember when the last time I made a payment. Back in 2004/05 I was in a very bad place, a heavy drinker bordering alcoholism, clinically depressed and suicidal. I did do some stupid things, and this has obviously come back to bite me in the backside. Only over the last year have I managed to get myself back on my feet and sober, so all this is news to me!

What I was wondering is, why haven't they taken me to court already? Why wait 5/6 years to do it, what has prevented them from doing so? Why not start proceedings in 2006 after I'd failed to respond to their (wrongly addressed) letters? Are they likely to take me to court after all this time? A quick search shows that Link aren't scared to take things to court, as I've read plenty of forums where people are receiving court papers from them ;Hmm

Re: Link Financial

Hi Asm

Welcome to the forums, we will be able to find a solution to your problem, cos there always is one. The first thing I would do would be to get a hold of your credit files and check if this is still showing. It could well be statute barred because you haven't paid anything for more than 6 years. Don't talk to the DCA, fail security or just carry on with your present tack, you did a good job. Personally, I never answer the phone unless I know who it is! I believe the DCAs all get a bit manic if something is about to go statute barred (any opportunity to get money from it about to go)so that may well be the reason for the phone calls. They may well have lost track of you in the ensuing period and just rediscovered you. First things first, get your credit reports and have a look.
    Good luck

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply evenlessdopey,

I checked my files, Link Financial are on there. They defaulted me in November 2005.

I'm just confused as to why they haven't taken me to court yet, really lol

Like, why waste their time chasing me over and over, making useless phone calls at stupid o'clock etc...surely it would be easier just to slap a CCJ on me?

Comment

och call me Dopey, everyone else does!!! It might be that they are not too sure of their ground. or it just got lost in the ether. How old is the actual debt, could it be UE? I would ascertain the exact date, doesn't look far from SB. Just ignore everything unless they come back with a definite invitation to court. I think where a lot of peeps go wrong is that these DCA's are not nearly so smart as they would have you believe. How much is it for, below around £1500 its probably not economical to go to court if you take costs into account? I think you've managed to keep under the radar for quite some time, might just be worth continuing to do that until its statute barred. You're not in Scotland are you, cos its only 5 years here?

Comment

Cheers Dopey

It's for £11k...I'm in England.

The actual debt was started 14/10/2003 according to my file. They defaulted me 03/11/2005.

I honestly don't know how many payments I made, or when the last time I made a payment. It's all an alcoholic black hole

I guess what I'm worried about is that they send the court papers to the old address, and seeing as I refused to give them my current personal info, they'll win cos I won't get any paper work. I also can't prove that I told Abbey I changed my address, all of my paperwork from back then has got lost/thrown out.

Bit of a mess!!

Comment

Hiya

Ok, don't worry about this the DCA has to prove it is you and to be fair you need something in writing from them, have they wrote to you before? If not then stop answering the phone to them and forget this, don't stress.

They cannot just take you to court like you presume, there are a host of things we'd do to stop that - as the date you took the loan was only 6yrs ago it is not statute barred, but get a copy of your credit file and check the start date and the last payment made date then post back here.

Also, confirm if the DCA have written to you. In the meantime can you remember dates (roughly) of calls etc? I would be usually saying complain to the OFT about their behaviour - if he spoke to you like that he knew you were gullible to his demands - next time tell him quite clearly to go and screw a cow and hang up!

You DO NOT have to listen to such abuse nor do you have to speak to them, he has breached DPA for speaking about an account and address without being certain it was the debtor - the list goes on, I would throw the book at them - but do you know when and most importantly do you have a name?

Niddy
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Andy, ;Hi

Sky did me a massive favour by changing my telephone number! So all credit to them I haven't had to deal with a telephone call since then, and I have only given my number to close friends and family.

I'm obviously not receiving any post, cos they've sent it all to the wrong address, and I didn't give them my current one...although they could buy that info from the electoral role/CRA's...and that's another confusing thing, if they want the £11k, then the financial outlay to get my current address would seem worthwhile, as I expect they bought the debt for next to nothing! ;Hmm

I suspect they haven't got the required paperwork they need to take me to court, seeing as the debt is so old. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by asm76
                What I was wondering is, why haven't they taken me to court already? Why wait 5/6 years to do it, what has prevented them from doing so? Why not start proceedings in 2006 after I'd failed to respond to their (wrongly addressed) letters? Are they likely to take me to court after all this time? A quick search shows that Link aren't scared to take things to court, as I've read plenty of forums where people are receiving court papers from them ;Hmm
                Not all lenders take things to court - plus they need to know an address prior to commencing action, if they have had mail returned as not known, then try and get a CCJ for that address it would be deceptive and you'd get it struck-out.

As I said earlier, stop worrying - the fact you changed your number is good enough right now.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi N-I-D,

They have never sent a letter to my current address, only an old one as he stated on the one and only phone conversation I had with them. After the barrage of calls from them at all hours, I had my number changed, so they can't get through any more.

Thanks for the advice. It has put my mind at rest. I've had a few weeks of digging around, finding out who they are, finding out what might happen, finding out my rights and the obvious worrying about it ;LOL

All the debt I have now is manageable, and more importantly, showing as satisfactory on my file and I'll be debt free November 2012, so there's light at the end of the tunnel...I've just got this cloud hanging over me for the time being ;Red

Andy

Comment

Don't worry about it - let it sit til middle of 2012 and then see what happens yea? Just don't stress.....

Best of luck

Comment

Has it all been quiet then - since October...?

Comment

i wouldn't be overly concerned over these muppets.

At my old address I had a neighbour (who i didn't know personally) who'd received a phone call from someone claiming to be a friend of mine and could he ask me to call them on a phone number.

I called after putting the number into google and told them straight there and then i'd be reporting them for what they'd done.

Not heard nothing since, funny thing is the account they want to collect on goes SB in April.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          Has it all been quiet then - since October...?
                          Hello, sorry...busy few months. We are expecting a baby boy in July, so we've been getting ready for all that. We must have spent the equivalent of a small nations debt on nursery furniture and baby "stuff" lol

Anyway...

I have heard nothing from them, like I said I changed my home phone number so the calls stopped back in October time. I've not had anything in the post either, so they can't have bothered getting my info from the CRA's or Electoral Role.

The default for this is due to drop off in November.

Comment

cool, best of luck - obviously hoping you don't hear anything now till at least November then....

Best of Luck

Comment

I'm just in the process of getting my £2 stauatory reports, but as always, Experian make it so damn difficult. I can't log into my existing account without renewing my membership, so now I have to wait for them to post me a letter.

Comment

Working...
                              X