GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bt default - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bt default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bt default

Hi guys, I've just checked my Equifax credit report and it has a default on there for bt and I have no recollection of an account with them and was just wondering the best way to approach it? I'm looking to apply for a mortgage shortly and want to sort it ASAP it doesn't appear on experian on callcredit which I find bizzare

Re: Bt default

What is the default date shown on the credit report?

If you are unsure whether you had a bt contract you can contact them and ask, if however you are certain you never have, then complain to Equifax and they will contact BT on your behalf.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have contact BT via a live chat and they say they have a line that was active when i was living with parents but i didnt control the phoneline my parents did

Comment

And was the contract in your name or your parents name? regardless of control.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by l8onjones View Post
          I have contact BT via a live chat and they say they have a line that was active when i was living with parents but i didnt control the phoneline my parents did
          Even though - according to your post elsewhere - your parents' telephone line was with Virgin?

It is not unknown for BT to make mistakes.

Why not ask them for a copy of the service agreement or, at least, the last bill they sent?

Comment

Even better raise a dispute with the CRA saying YOU have never held a BT account and at the time in question you lived with your parents. They'll then contact BT. That channel allows you to then formally request BT remove it and if not you go to the ombudsman (OFCOM / Ombudsman Services) and the ICO.

Its easy to sort actually. Puzzled though as to why you'd duplicate this very basic situation multi-forum. We've never let you down before have we...!
            Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 22 July 2014, 21:54. Reason: Added links
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

No you haven't let me down and I thank you for that but I think you can appreciate that if you see a default registered incorrectly then it can lead to a blind panic leading to the multi forum posting and also I didn't realise my postings elsewhere were monitored?

Comment

As others have said, this is easy to sort.

Cloggy suggested you ask BT for a copy of their last bill to prove the debt.

Niddy suggested complaining to the CRA direct.

If you do both those things you'll be fine. Unless of course BT come back with evidence of an unpaid/defaulted account where even if you pay the outstanding balance the Default will remain on your CRA file for six years from the date it was first registered.

If you've spoken to BT on Live Chat and they've given you some information about an account in your name (albeit at your parents' address) this suggests that there must have been an account at some point or they wouldn't have been able to tell you all that stuff.

Have you ever had a phone line or broadband with another service provider?

Comment

That's OK - another contributor to AAD saw that you'd also posted on the doggy site and that, predictably, you'd not been helped very much.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    As others have said, this is easy to sort.

Cloggy suggested you ask BT for a copy of their last bill to prove the debt.

Niddy suggested complaining to the CRA direct.

If you do both those things you'll be fine. Unless of course BT come back with evidence of an unpaid/defaulted account where even if you pay the outstanding balance the Default will remain on your CRA file for six years from the date it was first registered.

If you've spoken to BT on Live Chat and they've given you some information about an account in your name (albeit at your parents' address) this suggests that there must have been an account at some point or they wouldn't have been able to tell you all that stuff.

Have you ever had a phone line or broadband with another service provider?
                    To me, this looks like a cock-up by BT, as there seems to have been no attempt made by BT to recover the monies allegedly owed.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      To me, this looks like a cock-up by BT, as there seems to have been no attempt made by BT to recover the monies allegedly owed.
                      There's also a remote possibility that when the OP's parents signed up to Virgin (which is provided by cable) there may have been an existing BT line which didn't get cancelled properly (by BT) even though it would have been redundant. The billing department could have stopped sending bills, but somewhere in the depths of BT (or more likely one of their unhelpful overseas call centres) the account remained artificially live.

That doesn't explain why the default is in the OP's name except they may have the same surname (and initial?) as their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by l8onjones View Post
                        I didn't realise my postings elsewhere were monitored?

Your postings aren't being monitored. A lot of us visit other sites for various reasons and if we spot one of our members posting about the same thing as on here it can only be helpful to compare notes. In your case you posted elsewhere (but not on here) that your parents' previous phone connection had been with Virgin cable which makes a big difference. Now we know that we can tailor our advice accordingly.

There's definitely no Big Brother watching you

* don't you just love Banksy

Comment

There's also a remote possibility that when the OP's parents signed up to Virgin (which is provided by cable) there may have been an existing BT line which didn't get cancelled properly (by BT) even though it would have been redundant. The billing department could have stopped sending bills, but somewhere in the depths of BT (or more likely one of their unhelpful overseas call centres) the account remained artificially live.

That doesn't explain why the default is in the OP's name except they may have the same surname (and initial?) as their parents.
                          Much the same thought had occurred to me, but it does not explain why no attempt seems to have been made by BT - or any debt collecting parasites - to recover the monies allegedly owed.

BT "has form" for leaving flags set on a customer's account long after they are relevant or necessary, as I know from personal experience. This could be another such case of old (and incorrect) data being automatically reset (and, effectively, renewed) instead of it being purged in a timely manner.

Comment

There's definitely no Big Brother watching you
                            But what about Big Sister?

Comment

Haha sorry for visiting the other site like I just said I panic and try and get as much as help as possible but your right you guys help the most, is it worth my uploading the chat so you can see what was said?

Comment

Working...
                              X