GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Advice needed re a Trustcard Account, DCA, Default Notices and Other Matters - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed re a Trustcard Account, DCA, Default Notices and Other Matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed re a Trustcard Account, DCA, Default Notices and Other Matters

I apologise in advance for an extremely long post but I feel that I need to set out a series of events that may or may not be significant and I am hoping that somebody will be able to help me understand what the key issues are and how I should move forward.

I opened a TSB current account in the early 1990s.

My recollection is that if you wanted a cheque guarantee card you had to have a TSB Trustcard (credit card) because it doubled as a cheque guarantee card. I therefore obtained a Trustcard for this purpose and started to use the credit card facility as well. This would have been around 1996.

Everything was fine until I was made redundant and became self-employed. Unfortunately, I was defrauded and lost all my money and fell into financial difficulty.

I wrote to Trustcard explaining the situation in 2003.

Looking back at the letters I wrote it seems that Lloyds TSB issued a Default Notice to me in November 2003. However, I don’t believe that the Default Notice was ever registered with the credit reference agencies even though the default was not remedied. I don’t remember whether a termination notice was ever issued.

At this stage I owed Lloyds TSB around £10k.

A day after issuing the Default Notice another section of Lloyds TSB agreed to cease charging interest and to receive nominal monthly payments of £5 per month which later increased to £7. This arrangement was subject to 6 monthly reviews and continued for a number of years.

In 2008 I received an unsolicited letter from Lloyds TSB stating that they were going to make this “informal arrangement” contractually binding on themselves, though they reserved the right to give notice to change the terms of the agreement and to recommence charging interest.

My payments continued at £7 per month.

In February 2010 I received a letter stating that my repayment plan had been time limited and that this had now ended, even though I had never been told before about this or when it was due to end. The letter reinstated the standard monthly payments and interest charges without notice and I subsequently found out that this had taken effect for a period that pre-dated the letter (ie interest became chargeable from 4th Feb 2010 but the letter informing me what was going to happen was dated 9th February 2010 and arrived much later). I wrote and provided a statement of means explaining that I could not afford anything more than I was paying. This was ignored.

In April 2010 I received a letter telling me that I was in arrears by nearly £200 though I had never received the statement containing this new monthly payment (I couldn’t have afforded to pay it anyway) and by the time I received this letter the outstanding payment had been taken from our joint Lloyds TSB current account containing joint working tax credit.

I wrote and phoned on a number of occasions but everything was ignored. During one telephone conversation I was told that I had received no replies because I had used the wrong address. I had used the address provided on the letterhead of their correspondence to me.

I submitted a complaint and eventually managed to recover the money taken from our current account and also the interest that had been charged to the credit card account.

Nevertheless Lloyds TSB continued to ignore my requests for an affordable payment plan but I continued to make the monthly payments of £7 anyway.

This situation continued until Lloyds TSB had registered a default with the credit reference agencies in October 2010. They then accepted the previous arrangement of £7 per month.

In the summer of 2012 Lloyds TSB conducted a review. I provided a statement of means and I then received a letter from BLS (part of Lloyds TSB) agreeing to the continuation of the arrangement.

Within days the account had been sold to a DCA.

In December 2010 I wrote to Lloyds stating that I believed they had not treated me fairly. I referred to the fact that the Trustcard had originally been issued as a cheque guarantee card and that they had taken money from my joint current account which indicated a linkage between the credit card and my current account. I stated that in agreeing a repayment plan with the intention of selling the account they had not treated me fairly and that Lloyds TSB may therefore have breached its statutory obligations under the Banking Conduct of Business Sourcebook and had created an unfair relationship. I suggested that to avoid legal action they re-purchase the account. They did not respond to my letter but, in my view, accepted what I had said by continuing to accept payments into the original Trustcard account throughout 2013.

Then recently I received a letter from the DCA referring to my repayment plan with them and offering me the opportunity to settle the account if I made a payment of about a third of the debt. I replied saying that I had written to Lloyds in December 2012 suggesting that they reacquire the account and that as far as I was concerned they had accepted the proposal (by accepting payments into the original account for some 7 months) and that I did not have a relationship with the DCA.

The DCA has now replied saying that Lloyds TSB had passed my letter to them and that this was why I had not received a reply. I find this quite disturbing. This was a letter specifically about my relationship with Lloyds TSB both as a Trustcard account holder and also as a current account holder. It had nothing to do with the DCA and it strikes me as being a gross transgression of the Data Protection Act.

To make matters worse, it appears that the DCA has now contacted Lloyds asking for their comments with the intention, I believe, of replying to the letter I had sent to Lloyds. I find this quite extraordinary.

I have no desire to enter into a relationship with this DCA. I will be 60 next birthday and my prospects of improving my income are bleak. I had been discussing with my family the possibility of putting together an offer to my creditors in full and final settlement but the total amount we would be able to muster would be a little less than the DCA wants to settle this Trustcard account.

I would welcome any advice on my best course of action. I guess the next step will be to request a copy of any credit agreement they may have. But I also wondered whether any of the following issues are significant:-

a) the default notice that was originally issued in November 2003 that was not remedied or registered with the credit agencies.

b) would it be more significant if a termination notice had also been issued around this time?

c) the manner in which Lloyds TSB cancelled my long standing arrangement and ignored all my attempts to communicate with them until they had defaulted the account in 2010 and then agreed to reinstate the original payment plan

d) the contractual arrangements it unilaterally imposed upon itself in 2008 and then broke in 2010

e) the way in which it negotiated a payment plan in 2012 with the express intention of selling the account to a DCA; and

f) the serious breach of the Data Protection Act in Lloyds TSB forwarding a letter about my relationship with that organisation to a third party DCA

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Spector

Re: Advice needed re a Trustcard Account, DCA, Default Notices and Other Matters

good morning Spector

Welcome to AAD

Your whole problem appears to stem from doing entirely the wrong thing while trying hard to do the right thing. I've read hundreds if not thousands of similar stories about the sheer incompetence of Lloyds and that's not counting the other banks who operate in a similarly shambolic manner. The first thing you have to realise is they don't give a stuff about you and yours, they are only interested in the money, they don't care if you are dying and your children are starving, it's still going to be about the money and they want it back regardless. First thing to do is get off a CCA request, to the DCA(who are they?) then second thing to do is DO NOT PHONE THEM or accept calls from them. This is not a negotiable circumstance, just don't do this. From now on, everything in writing, your letters and anything they send back. For all the phonecalls you've made in the past, you have no proof of anything that was said, other than what you remember what you said.

I would certainly cease any payments at all, they've had much more than their pound of flesh (how much to they reckon you still owe after 10 years?). I would probably go on to SAR them, because you need to know what chapter and verse is of the shambles they have managed to concoct of this.

At the moment, by paying the £7 you are just prolonging this agony for ever. Do you have other debts? Do you own your own house? Depending on whether you own property, what exactly are you aiming to do here?

The banks are not allowed to treat you in this way, there are laws and rules that they must abide by, unfortunately, if they think they will get away with it, they will ignore, you only have to look at recent financial history to see ample evidence of this and they love easy meat, people who are trying to pay back what they owe, because they know you can be bullied into paying. You have to be the worm that turned and cease to be that bullied person, you'll be in good company here because we have quite a lot of dizzy worms!

So if you could answer my questions, and get the CCA off, we can take this from there. There are quite a few options open to you, all of which we can help with, but you need to turn round first and bite these buggers back, then they'll be a bit more careful.

Have a good read around the forum, particularly the diary section, some fabulous success stories in there.

Comment

Re: Advice needed re a Trustcard Account, DCA, Default Notices and Other Matters

Hello Mrs D

Thank you for replying.

The DCA is C a b o t.

The Lloyds TSB account stands at just under £10k.

Yes, I have other credit card debts from the same period (2003). In all (including the Lloyds TSC card) they total around £27k. The other two lenders registered default notices in 2003 and the credit reference agency reporting has therefore fallen off the six year edge. I pay them £7 and £5 pm each.

I own my own house, with very little equity. It is small and there is no opportunity to downsize.

I want to avoid the risk of charging orders.

I wanted to be clear of this burden which was why I had thought about full and final settlement offers but the amount I could muster would equate to something like 10p in the £1. I realise that unenforceable credit agreements would strengthen my negotiating position.

Having looked at the site I understand that unenforceability is a potential way forward but I thought I have read advice from Paul stating that payments should not stop. Perhaps I have misunderstood.

I have also just looked at the defaults section on this site and it strikes me that the fact that Lloyds TSB issued a default notice in 2003 might be extremely significant if it means that the DCA cannot continue to screw up my credit history? BUt is that affected if it was not registered?

Thank you

Spector

Comment

Sorry, just to clarify, I meant that I thought Paul's advice was to continue paying until unenforcibility has been established?

Comment

Hi Spector.

Please follow MrsD's suggestions. You need to start taking decisive action. Forget about your CRFs, you say you are still paying nominal sums then you are just as MrsD says prolonging the agony. the dates you give are pre April 2007 therefore there is a good chance they may be UE anyway. I think you find that what Paul is actually saying is that you have no LEGAL right to stop paying but that does not make it Illegal to tell them go do one. Whilst you are paying something then they will do nothing and ignore you. It certainly gets their attention when you stop paying the reptiles. From now on, everything in writing no phone calls, keep everything that comes through your door including envelopes marked up with the date it actually fell through your letterbox. Set up a file so you can access your info quickly and efficiently and start a telephone log so everytime they call you you log the time date who from which card and rough very brief outline. Answer the calls and do not be bullied. You cannot claim harassment if you do not answer the calls. which WILL happen. You will be guided through it all here.

regards
          G

Comment

I knew I had missed something, please forget at this stage a F & F settlement. these are very far from simple. The process is deceptively simple the underpinning law is NOT. It has NOTHING to do with CCA law it becomes the Common Law of Contract and that is expensive complex and fraught with problems . It can be done but you have not yet exhausted the far easier optiions and remedies availabel to you.

regards
            G

Comment

Hi Spector,
              Welcome to AAD. Sorry to hear of your position although if its any consolation you really are in good hands here to begin sorting this out.
              I would suggest taking a look at the Unenforceable Thread here as it covers a lot of Questions and Answers.
              When you get a feel for the forum (and just how good the advice is) you may want to consider starting your own diary for your own clarity and to assist the members in assisting you.

All the very best with this
              Missy
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you Garlok and Missy for your replies and advice.

Sorry for the delay in responding but it has been quite a hectic time on a personal level.

It is very kind of everyone to take the time to be so supportive.

I fully take the point that it is wise to take the advice of those who have been through it themselves and have bilut up considerable expertise. I have looked at the Unenforceable thread and at various Diaries and understand that I need to take positive action. I will get a CCA off to the DCA in the next few days and then start a diary. And I won't discuss anything by 'phone.

As far as the credit reference agencies are concerned, I understand what you are trying to impress upon me, Garlok - that I need to let go of the peripheral issues and focus on the main aim. And certainly the last thing I want, or would be able to do, is to borrow more money. But we (my wife and I) currently have basic bank accounts that we can't upgrade to get cheque books purely because of the Lloyds TSB default registered in Oct 2010. If the original default notice in 2003, which was not remedied but also was not registered, is the one that Lloyds TSB must live with, then it may mean that the account should no longer be appearing on my credit reference file and I feel therefore that this is something I need to pursue, if I have a case. However, I am not sure whether I should begin a separate thread for this in the Defaults section of the Forum? Sorry I am a novice in Forum Protocol.

Thank you again

Spector

Comment

Hi Spector, Mr nightwatch also has an old TSB credit card account, and exactly the same thing happened to his account as happened to yours with the only difference being the 1st default was in 2002 which they did register,unfortunately we did not keep a copy of his credit report from that time so the CRAs refuse to remove it as LLoyds insist that the 2nd default is legit,
                  we sent for a CCA in 2011 after finding this site.( another site said there was nothing we could do) and we haven't paid a penny to anyone since.and because the account is so old they haven't got a CCA but keep insisting he would of signed one and will send it when they find it.
                  You are quite welcome to read my ue Diary;( Nightwatch and Hubby's diary of debt) to see what a crap company they really are. best of luck NW x
                  Last edited by nightwatch; 13 August 2013, 11:03. Reason: spelling
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi nightwatch

Thank you for for sharing your experience. I have looked at your diary page and can see that Lloyds TSB have really messed you about.

Surely the CRAs could check back to confirm the previously registered default?

It may take quite a while but, if I needed to, I'm fairly confident I could find the original default notice from 2003 but I don't really understand the law around default notices. Since it was issued I have maintained payments of £5 to £7. The default notice would not have been remedied therefore within whatever period of notice they set. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't registered with the CRAs.

Thanks for your encouragement

Spector

Comment

the CRAs state that they only keep 6 years of information, but the first default should be registered within a certain time frame (6months from issue i think) but lloyds could just say the 1st one was faulty and have reissued a new one.
                      If you could find the original you may be able to contact the CRAs and tell them that you have a default from 2003 send them a copy and ask for the one on file to be removed, you don't have to mention that you don't think it was registered, just be selective with any information you give them

Comment

Thank you nightwatch. It will be worth trying that. Now all I have to do is find the original......

Comment

Originally posted by Spector View Post
                          Thank you nightwatch. It will be worth trying that. Now all I have to do is find the original......
                          Fingers crossed for you Spector. Let us know how you get on.
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thank you missy. I will do.

Comment

Hi
                              I have been a long time lurker on this and other forums. I think that your interpretation of what Paul said is correct, however remember that Paul is a lawyer and as such will never give you an answer that could lead him open to a complaint. That is no disrespect to Paul. In my inexperience I would be sending of CCA requests and finding out if they have an enforceable agreement. If they don't then fine, stop paying, if they do then you need to reconsider.
                              I believe that Cabot are debt buyers so will have bought the debt from LTSB and as such are the people you need to deal with unless it is a SAR when you deal with LTSB.
                              The bit you wrote about not dealing with the DCA sounds a bit like FMOTL which is dangerous rubbish or a line by one of the site team on on another forum that is again dangerous rubbish

Comment

Working...
                              X