GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script F & F - has debt been sold on??? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F & F - has debt been sold on???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F & F - has debt been sold on???

Hello all!

I've been checking out forums for some time now and have seen many good bits of advice but was particularly interested in the full and final settlement bits and pieces. It is this that has given me cause to finally register and post seeking advice.

To give you some background my debt issues started about 7 years ago and I now have only one outstanding debt that I want to be rid of. The current balance is approx £7800. Since the default was registered the debt has been held with Metropolitan and I have been making and continue to make agreed payments. The default dropped off my credit file last year and I just want to be done with it and move on. With this in mind I opted to try for a full and final settlement. I sent through the template letter offering a cheeky 10% (more as a starting point for negotiation rather than expecting them to accept!)

Although I have not heard anything from Metropolitan I have coincidentally received a letter from Ruthbridge Ltd stating that they are trying to contact me "in relation to a personal matter". The cynic in me thinks that there could well be a link between requesting a settlement and Metropolitan potentially selling the debt.

I thought it should have been a straight forward process: make an offer - haggle - have an offer accepted or rejected - either pay up if accepted or continue with agreed payments if not. However the appearance of Redbridge has added an element I wasn't really prepared for!

My questions are really this:
    • Should I expect a response from Metropolitan even if it is to say the offer is not accepted?
    • Do Metropolitan need to inform me if they sell the debt?
    • Should I contact Metropolitan to establish what is going on?
    • Should I acknowledge Ruthbridge's letter as they haven't stated what it is in relation to?

Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!

Re: F & F - has debt been sold on???

welcome to AAD was it a HSBC debt by ant chance ?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by supersonicsnail View Post

My questions are really this:
      • Should I expect a response from Metropolitan even if it is to say the offer is not accepted?

Depends - they may have sold it, wait another couple of weeks and see who writes then use our template as it protects you by quoting relevant case law

• Do Metropolitan need to inform me if they sell the debt?

Yes, by way of Notice of Assignment but that is only if they sell the rights, if they just 'sell' it to a DCA (for collection) then they should notify you but most do not.

• Should I contact Metropolitan to establish what is going on?

No await contact from whoever owns the debt - it may have been sold. Stop payments, thats a must - why will they haggle when you're paying! They canot default you ever again so serious, stop paying and then you'll get their attention to make an offer.

• Should I acknowledge Ruthbridge's letter as they haven't stated what it is in relation to?

Nope, ignore them and stop paying, whoever owns it will soon write out with threats (then just let us know here and we'l lhelp sort it with you)
      See red comments, welcome and good luck
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hello....It was indeed the good old HSBC.

Comment

Hello....It was indeed the good old HSBC.
          Guess who own Metropolitan and who work from the same office as HSBC Collection in Coventry - one guess?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Wow....what a super fast response. Thank you Never-in-Doubt. Just one thing to clarify so I'm absolutely sure and because I like to at least try and understand these things - you mentioned that they cannot default me again if I stop making payments, how does that work?

Comment

Wow....what a super fast response. Thank you Never-in-Doubt. Just one thing to clarify so I'm absolutely sure and because I like to at least try and understand these things - you mentioned that they cannot default me again if I stop making payments, how does that work?
              one debt = one default. You can only lawfully be in default once, can't you? lol

s.87 & s.88 (CCA1974) govern this

Once the 6yrs from original default has passed and it drops off your file that's it - you could stop paying to be frank, they'd be able to do very little..... seriously, it's that simple.

You hold all the aces, what is the debt balance please?

Comment

£7800?

Fancy having some fun here, role reversal......

Comment

I like the simplicity of that explanation! Even I can cope with that! Standing order now cancelled!

Current balance is £7870

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Fancy having some fun here
                    Ok, why don't you stop paying and instead send one of these to Metropolitan: ---> Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | CCA Request

Then see what they send back, point is they cannot harm your credit file unless they attempt a CCJ at which point you just start making an offer to pay and they'll back off, but ultimately you should sit this out and wait for 6yr statute barred as they'll probably struggle to enforce in all fairness especially as it's quite old....

Worth a punt, and will save you making wasted payments that do little to the balance....

Comment

fun?....what do you have in mind?

Comment

refresh screen lol - already replied before you asked - psychic Niddy see

Comment

Ok before doing anything have a mooch here ---> Greymatter's ue Diary - Page 5 - allaboutFORUMS

Read that and click the links within, that's what you'd be aiming for, a letter saying they cannot enforce etc so will not pursue the debt.... if not we play them at the rules and demand they comply with legislation....

Have a read and ask any questions you want..... General Questions here: ---> Unenforceability General Questions Answers - allaboutFORUMS

Comment

OK...I'll give that a go. I'm guessing that most financial records are only held for 6 years (or is that another myth?) so they would struggle to find a true record?

Comment

OK...I'll give that a go. I'm guessing that most financial records are only held for 6 years (or is that another myth?) so they would struggle to find a true record?
                              well they should in line with HMRC retain for 12, but usually they can't find stuff that are 10+ years old, however its not - we look for fault within the agreement... read some diaries first, see what you think.

Regards the credit agency retain proof of an old file that showed the default date so you can use it as proof if necessary

Comment

Working...
                              X