GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script DCA demand letter - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA demand letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA demand letter

After a 'fishing' letter from a DCA asking if I lived at a previous address around 6 weeks ago, I've now received a formal demand re an old credit card bill.

I was paying a nominal amount to the creditor for the last 10 yrs until they stopped taking money in January - I'd been paying this so long i'd actually forgotten about it.

The letter refers to the creditor as their client, so I assume this means that the debt hasn't been sold on. However, I've never had any letter from the creditor informing me that the DCA is acting on their behalf (probably because they still have my old address of 10 yrs ago).

What is the best course of action with this ? should I ignore it and see if they refer it back to the creditor? (drag it out), or do a CCA request at this point or some other course of action / letter?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: DCA demand letter

Hi Fraser.
    someone will be along to help shortly,
    could you give a bit more info about the alleged debt,
    ie; original creditor
    what type of debt
    when taken out
    DCA chasing
    amount owed
    are/were you on a dmp or a diy one
    did you reply to the fishy letter or throw it back in the water
    when did you last hear from the OC

many thanks
    NW
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

welcome to AAD

do how much was a nominal sum?
      how much was the original balance?
      who was the creditor?

when did you last hear from the OC? they should at least be sending you a statement every year.

Comment

HI both

Thanks for the reply

The OC = Lloyds TSB
        Type = TSB trust card
        Not sure when taken out - probably late 80's early 90's
        Original debt:= £2200
        Been paying £2 per month - last payment Jan 12
        Last contact from creditor 1998
        then referred to their collection team last contact = Jan 2000
        Two default notices 1998 and 1996

No further contact, but have moved several times and have not updated OC with addresses

The amount o/s is spot on: original debt less all the £2's

The account number quoted is not the correct a/c number for the card but simply an internal reference number from an old letter from the collection team. Can I argue that I don't recognise the debt as I've never had a card with that account number ??

Comment

I think you need to be sending a CCA for this, I'm just a bit gobsmacked that you've been paying all this time, were they going to let you pay for the rest of your days?

by the way, only one default per account but acutally it doesn't matter as both will have fallen off.

Who is the DCA?

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
            I think you need to be sending a CCA for this, I'm just a bit gobsmacked that you've been paying all this time, were they going to let you pay for the rest of your days?

by the way, only one default per account but acutally it doesn't matter as both will have fallen off.

Who is the DCA?

I realise that you are vastly more experienced thanI , but Is it not worth holding them off because they haven't provided the correct account info ??

Comment

Unfortunately DCAs and OCs change the numbers all the tme so that doesn't really give you a reason to put the account into dispute which is actually what you're asking.

You need to send a CCA request and see if they have any paperwork for this debt, I very much doubt if they will but if you go through the correct procedures using the templates from this site, we can help get rid of this disreputable mob from your life.

I presume you haven't paid since January, don't

Comment

Unfortunately DCAs and OCs change the numbers all the tme so that doesn't really give you a reason to put the account into dispute which is actually what you're asking.

You need to send a CCA request and see if they have any paperwork for this debt, I very much doubt if they will but if you go through the correct procedures using the templates from this site, we can help get rid of this disreputable mob from your life.

I presume you haven't paid since January, don't
                OK, will do and setup a diary - fingers crossed

No further payments - the OC cancelled the standing order

Many thanks for your help with this.

Comment

is this your only debt?

Comment

is this your only debt?
                    No, but the rest are ok and not in arrears etc

i.e mortgage
                    car loan
                    credit card

The debt in question is from when i lost my job a few years back and couldn't pay the repayments.
                    Last edited by Fraser01; 5 May 2012, 19:17.

Comment

you do realise it will be showing on your credit record as defaulted and will be affecting your abiltiy to get new credit.

have you got anything else in the recent past since you've been on this lonnnnnnng payment paln?
                      ie car finance, how old that?

Comment

you do realise it will be showing on your credit record as defaulted and will be affecting your abiltiy to get new credit.

have you got anything else in the recent past since you've been on this lonnnnnnng payment paln?
                        ie car finance, how old that?
                        I've never had any issues getting credit for several years, basically because that debt has never been , until now, connected to my current addresses. I completely severed all connection to my old address, and didn't inform the OC that I'd moved

Doesn't the default drop off after 5 yrs?? it was issued in 1998??

Last time I applied for credit was about 3 weeks ago to get a new car - i get a car allowance from work and have to replace it every 3 -4 yrs.
                        Last edited by Fraser01; 5 May 2012, 19:35.

Comment

it's most definiitely fallen off, 6 years in England, 5 in Scotland

OK, it doesn't appear to be affecting your life, let's try and get rid of the pesky DCA.

Comment

it's most definiitely fallen off, 6 years in England, 5 in Scotland

OK, it doesn't appear to be affecting your life, let's try and get rid of the pesky DCA.
                            As I said it hasn't caused a problem because it wasn't connected to me. However, now the DCA has made the connection, is it likely to cause big problems now - although don't plan getting any other credit for the forceable future.

Comment

are you still seeing the defaults on your credit file?

Comment

Working...
                              X