GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MARAS credit check - what does it actually check? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Hi All

We're currently putting in application to rent a property and have been given a MARAS reference application form.

Does anyone know what information MARAS actually obtain from the CRA's?

Do they only see public information such as BR and CCJ's, or do they also have access to things like defaults that have been recorded by creditors?

Thanks
    SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

It seems similar to others where they search public databases --> https://www.maras.co.uk/public/refer...e_service.aspx

I'd not worry. They're not as strict as credit providers.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      It seems similar to others where they search public databases --> https://www.maras.co.uk/public/refer...e_service.aspx

I'd not worry. They're not as strict as credit providers.
      Thanks matey - this is what I thought - what has concerned me is that on the application form it asks for any details of adverse credit. I don't really want to bring up defaults that were recorded with the CRA's 3 years ago if its not something they are going to see. I don't want to be dishonest but don't want @hole creditors to screw up my life through their acts of spite.
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Then just put in that section "nothing recent"

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Then just put in that section "nothing recent"
          Thanks matey - helps to have a third party view

Comment

Remember planB will know this

Comment

SnV. PM received. Hope I'm not too late.

In my experience MARAS use Experian for their credit checks. The form asks for your previous address if you have lived less then three years at your current one which suggests they search back the six years. MARAS will see all Defaults which are currently on your CRA file. There's no point in lying because they will see them. Lying will make them suspicious.

Having said that MARAS will see them but at this stage nobody else will see them i.e. not the Agent or the Landlord. MARAS will wait until they have all the information in including your current financial situation (which is what matters most) before producing a credit score on which the Agent/Landlord will base their decision. So you could have an impeccable CRA file history but a low income and still fail the reference. And vice versa.

In Section 3 the form asks "is there any historic, current or pending adverse credit" Yes/No. It then says "if yes please supply details". In this case honesty is your only policy because they know the answer even before you've given it to them. I feel you should say "Yes" but then enter your alibi in the details section. It could be as simple as "nothing in the last three years" and wait for them to ask you for further details. Or all previous credit issues caused by ill-health/job loss/bereavement/Credit Crunch have been resolved.

The resulting credit score (which is decided by a database not a human being) is fed back to the Letting Agent with a recommendation. Sometimes it will say accept only with a Rent Guarantee Insurance Policy, or accept only with a Rent Guarantor. Basically MARAS assess the risk and then the Agent/Landlord decide whether to take it or not.

The Letting Agent wants to let the property because that's how they make their money so they will be batting for you. They will do their utmost to persuade the Landlord you're worth taking unless you're in competition with other Tenants with better credit score fighting for the property. Spin them a story which is not necessarily the same thing as tell them the truth. I'd go with a sob story for your past financial blips (i.e.. something that was out of your hands) while at the same time convincing them that everything is hunky dory now and going forward.

My best ever Tenant was a bankrupt. I accepted him because he was a thoroughly decent chap who was wrong-footed by the Credit Crunch. He's been with me for five years and never missed a rent payment yet. I hope your Landlord turns out to be as broad-minded

Whatever happens you should be given a 'right of reply' by the Agent if the reference doesn't paint a great picture of you first time around.

Finally, the only other thing is I've noticed the form asks the Agent to tick a box for Full Reference or Credit Check. Maybe you should ask the Agent which option are they using. Either way it looks like both will have the Credit Check but the Full Reference will include writing to employers and previous Landlord etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                SnV. PM received. Hope I'm not too late.
                Not at all thanks for taking the time to pop in

In my experience MARAS use Experian for their credit checks. The form asks for your previous address if you have lived less then three years at your current one which suggests they search back the six years. MARAS will see all Defaults which are currently on your CRA file.
                Well last time I checked on Noddle I had 21 defaults most being catalogs. I hope that my conduct the last couple of years and current salary are enough to balance this out

In Section 3 the form asks "is there any historic, current or pending adverse credit" Yes/No. It then says "if yes please supply details". In this case honesty is your only policy because they know the answer even before you've given it to them. I feel you should say "Yes" but then enter your alibi in the details section.
                I'm glad I opted for honesty being the best policy here and I answered yes and put that I would be happy to discuss circumstances.

The Letting Agent wants to let the property because that's how they make their money so they will be batting for you. They will do their utmost to persuade the Landlord you're worth taking unless you're in competition with other Tenants with better credit score fighting for the property
                Unfortunately almost every house we've viewed we've been beaten to it by someone else, the market seems to be very competitive at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if there are other applications.

My best ever Tenant was a bankrupt. I accepted him because he was a thoroughly decent chap who was wrong-footed by the Credit Crunch.
                No indeed - I made a mistake of being open with my creditors and they shafted me big time hence the situation I'm in now. I always kept paying the mortgage over everything else and would do the same for my rent.

I hope your Landlord turns out to be as broad-minded
                Thanks PlanB - so do I

Whatever happens you should be given a 'right of reply' by the Agent if the reference doesn't paint a great picture of you first time around.
                I'll keep you all posted as to what happens.......

Comment

Fingers, toes and everything crossed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
                    Fingers, toes and everything crossed for you.
                    Thanks Sapphy - hopefully I'm worrying over nothing. Last thing we need is to be trapped in our current house due to things that happened beyond our control 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                      Last thing we need is to be trapped in our current house due to things that happened beyond our control 4 years ago.
                      Is this going to be a joint tenancy? If so the two of you will be referenced separately so if one of you has the adverse credit history and the other doesn't that could work to your advantage. In some circumstances the tenancy agreement can be in the name of the person without bad credit history and the other will be named on the tenancy agreement as the "permitted occupier".

Also if your defaults are from 4 years ago they may be disregarded since 3 years' history is all that's usually taken into consideration even if they can see back 6 six years

Comment

Is this going to be a joint tenancy? If so the two of you will be referenced separately so if one of you has the adverse credit history and the other doesn't that could work to your advantage. In some circumstances the tenancy agreement can be in the name of the person without bad credit history and the other will be named on the tenancy agreement as the "permitted occupier".
                        Hi Plan B

We put in the application as a single tenancy with DW as 'permitted occupier' as DW has a CCJ from 3 years ago (will be settled in another couple of months), plus it'll be me paying the rent anyway as she doesn't work.

Also if your defaults are from 4 years ago they may be disregarded since 3 years' history is all that's usually taken into consideration even if they can see back 6 six years
                        I hope so! I've got an open dispute with the CRA's at the moment as a couple of creditors applied defaults late last year, despite the cause for action being almost 4 years ago, but thats going to be another thread if those entries cause actual detriment

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                          We put in the application as a single tenancy with DW as 'permitted occupier' as DW has a CCJ from 3 years ago (will be settled in another couple of months), plus it'll be me paying the rent anyway as she doesn't work.
                          The only downside to that is she won't be able to claim Housing Benefit if the need ever arises because her name is not on the tenancy agreement meaning she has no liability for the rent. Once the reference is passed you may be able to persuade the Landlord to have her name on the AST spinning some story about marital discord if they don't. Do this the day before you're supposed to sign the agreement when they'll have little option but to agree to your request

Comment

So no chance of a mortgage and they credit check when renting... where exactly are credit impaired peeps supposed to live - cardboard box??!

Comment

Rentals aren't as harsh with credit scoring tbh. PlanB will clarify this.

Comment

Working...
                              X