GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MARAS credit check - what does it actually check? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
    Well we've still not had a phone call back from the L.A. so have looked at another house and have put in an application.
    It's unlikely the first letting agent would have carried out the MARAS check unless the Landlord had accepted you as a Tenant in principle. You said he was considering other applicants which is probably the reason for the delay. They may even have the property registered with other agents who have already let it to someone else. Don't see it as a rejection.

Generally speaking the Tenants' whole profile/lifestyle matters most with things like pets, children, and intended length of stay which can be the most attractive thing since Landlords hate the expense and kerfuffle of changing Tenants.

The Letsure application form asks for a declaration of any CCJ/IVA/BR but no mention of "adverse credit". They have a reputation for being fair to Tenants

I assume since this time it's a different referencing company it is also a different letting agent which may help. If you can convince the agent you're a fab family, then they'll convince the Landlord the same.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
      It's unlikely the first letting agent would have carried out the MARAS check unless the Landlord had accepted you as a Tenant in principle. You said he was considering other applicants which is probably the reason for the delay. They may even have the property registered with other agents who have already let it to someone else. Don't see it as a rejection.

Generally speaking the Tenants' whole profile/lifestyle matters most with things like pets, children, and intended length of stay which can be the most attractive thing since Landlords hate the expense and kerfuffle of changing Tenants.

The Letsure application form asks for a declaration of any CCJ/IVA/BR but no mention of "adverse credit". They have a reputation for being fair to Tenants

I assume since this time it's a different referencing company it is also a different letting agent which may help. If you can convince the agent you're a fab family, then they'll convince the Landlord the same.
      Thanks PlanB, its great to get the landlords perspective too, and whenever we've rented we've always looked after the property we live in (doing repairs etc that really should have been done by the LL) so we are a fab family
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

whenever we've rented we've always looked after the property we live in (doing repairs etc that really should have been done by the LL)
        That's exactly the sort of thing that makes me want to take a Tenant.

My favourite one (the bankrupt) was a keen gardener and offered to do a spot of planting, mowing and landscaping so I grabbed him immediately since there was half an acre to keep under control. These are the things which really matter.

It's a bit like a job application where an employer is faced with loads of applicants with the same qualifications but only one will stand out as employable because they're more 'rounded' than the others.

So make sure your DIY skills are made known to the Landlord.

Comment

Thanks everyone, nothings going to happen now until after the weekend, so fingers crossed should hear something by midweek next week.
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Dear FRIENDS

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has followed this thread, offered advice, and just been generally supportive over the last few weeks.

The good news is that the 'credit check' has come back approved!

Just need to go and sign the paperwork and then we should be all set to move

Basically as everyone has said, it was only public record information that was checked, nothing more. Still didn't stop me stressing about it, but had you all not been here then I'd have stressed some more.

Hopefully this will also put others minds at ease who have similar questions!

Best
            SnV

Comment

Nice one SNV. very pleased for you.

Comment

Well done from me too....

Good luck in the move

Comment

Brilliant news SnV, I'm so pleased for you too
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Great news SnV, really pleased for you!
                    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

The good news is that the 'credit check' has come back approved!
                      This is excellent news for you

However speaking as a Landlord I do find it rather alarming that a Tenant with 21 Defaults can pass a reference

Well last time I checked on Noddle I had 21 defaults

But that doesn't stop me from being happy for you though. Enjoy your new home

Comment

ggod one S&V

hope we don't need to help with the humpfing...........................

Comment

Great news, let us all know when the house warming party is

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                            However speaking as a Landlord I do find it rather alarming that a Tenant with 21 Defaults can pass a reference
                            Someone with credit account defaults could have them because when times were hard they chose to pay priority debts and bills like RENT instead.

:ducks and runs:

Comment

Great news, well done SnV!
                              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                                Someone with credit account defaults could have them because when times were hard they chose to pay priority debts and bills like RENT instead.
                                Which, as it happens, is exactly what we did

I will never forget the chap from Santander who tried to tell me that the O/D was a 'priority' debt and had to treated with the same importance as council tax............

If creditors had done as they claim they do, which is 'work with people', then almost 5 years on we would have no debt now - its that simple. Instead they chose the opposite, and still continue to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X