GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MARAS credit check - what does it actually check? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

I've sent Niddy and Riz an email exchange between me (Landlord) and a Letting Agent which demonstrates that I was told about a prospective Tenant's Defaults as showing on a CRA file by the referencing company. I'm forced to accept that they shouldn't have done this (so much easier than reading all those boring documents) but nevertheless it does happen.

The last time we had this argument it ended in tears and the whole thread got deleted, so I'll leave the other two to debate it without me

Comment

Lol we generally agree. I think it's because both Riz & I pretty much understand the whole CRA process and governing rules so we always voice an opinion. Generally we agree like this thread. Nothing to discuss as we both agree that a default wouldn't ordinarily be seen by a referencing firm.

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Usually they get the info by scaring you into admitting it on the application as SnV found out. I told him to not to mention defaults but I think he might have. In theory if you don't tell them they'll never know as a default is NOT public info.
        I said I missed a couple of payments 4 years ago but nothing more

Hopefully that covers the bases if something comes up, but isn't alarming by mentioning defaults.
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

This is a really interesting discussion thanks!

It does raise questions of accountability should a landlord get stuck like PlanB if a letting agent has used a firm that carries out a 'credit check', only to find that it only searches public information.

There is also the point that if CRA data were opened up then the power that the CRA companies have over peoples lives is becoming more significant and there is real danger with that knowing the abuse that goes on from creditors with how they report data to the CRA's.

Would we be in the position that people could be declined a rental because they miss an electricity or mobile phone payment?!

I'd like to think not but my experience over the last few years means I don't trust the finance industry at all!
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            I've sent Niddy and Riz an email exchange between me (Landlord) and a Letting Agent which demonstrates that I was told about a prospective Tenant's Defaults as showing on a CRA file by the referencing company. I'm forced to accept that they shouldn't have done this (so much easier than reading all those boring documents) but nevertheless it does happen.
            Just a thought on how else this could happen - the application form (supported by payslips and a bank statement) would provide an unscrupulous vendor enough info and the opportunity to register with the CRA's under the guise of the applicant, and get a report that way.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
              the application form (supported by payslips and a bank statement) would provide an unscrupulous vendor enough info and the opportunity to register with the CRA's under the guise of the applicant, and get a report that way.

It'll be fine. You're just getting paranoid.

Comment

Paranoid or burned. You'll be telling me the moon landings actually happened next!

Comment

Any news? MARAS pride themselves in delivering a response to a reference check within 48 hours, yet you've been sweating it out for a whole week

Is this the property you really really wanted in your other thread here: http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post390874

Comment

Any news? MARAS pride themselves in delivering a response to a reference check within 48 hours, yet you've been sweating it out for a whole week
                    No not yet PlanB - according to the letting agent they have had several applications now so the landlord is chosing which tenant they want.
                    Is this the property you really really wanted in your other thread here: http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post390874
                    No unfortunately not. The agent put an application forward from someone who viewed the place 2 days after us, and decided to go with them instead. I'm getting pretty fed up with letting agents tbh - their conduct as a whole just reinforces why estate agents have such a bad reputation.

Comment

Just an update but nothing to report - no news back from the L.A. yet....

Comment

Well we've still not had a phone call back from the L.A. so have looked at another house and have put in an application.

This time the reference is being done through 'Letsure'. I have got a copy of a sample report from their website (see attachment) and notice that there is a section called 'Risk Information' which is based on a 'credit profile'. I'm assuming that this is based on a credit score provided by Callcredit which is likely to be pretty poor.

Just stressing about this a lot and its not being helped by letting agents being really crap.

Attached Files

Comment

No matter what they call it, it still cannot include information derived from credit account data. Seen a similar thing on many letting agent and services report, and they are very careful how they name the so called score to make people think it shows more than it really does. It's a fudge number so that landlords think they are getting value for money.

I queried a similar thing with several in the past, and after some back and forth they've had to admit that defaults or late payments etc on credit accounts do not factor into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                            No matter what they call it, it still cannot include information derived from credit account data. Seen a similar thing on many letting agent and services report, and they are very careful how they name the so called score to make people think it shows more than it really does. It's a fudge number so that landlords think they are getting value for money.

I queried a similar thing with several in the past, and after some back and forth they've had to admit that defaults or late payments etc on credit accounts do not factor into it.
                            Hi Riz

Thanks for the reassurance. I know I'm getting stressed and not thinking rationally as its such a big deal for us.

I'm going to try to get a copy of the report if I can and then post the results (sanitized), which will hopefully anyone else going through the same stress

Comment

Looking at callcredit's own information on what they provide, risk information "score" is derived from Edited Electoral roll data, adverse credit data from the Registry Trust, and then a marvellous:

range of geodemographic datasets relating to the postcode in which an individual lives to get a wider view of their circumstances, including levels of affluence, investment activity, unemployment, property prices, lifestage and lifestyle
                              That is ALL.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                                Looking at callcredit's own information on what they provide, risk information "score" is derived from Edited Electoral roll data, adverse credit data from the Registry Trust, and then a marvellous:

range of geodemographic datasets relating to the postcode in which an individual lives to get a wider view of their circumstances, including levels of affluence, investment activity, unemployment, property prices, lifestage and lifestyle
                                That is ALL.
                                Thanks Riz I missed that amazing piece of bovine excrement. Not sure how they are going to evaluate my "lifestage" !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X