GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MARAS credit check - what does it actually check? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Just to clarify they cannot see running account info or defaults so don't declare them - as previously mentioned
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Grassy_K View Post
      where exactly are credit impaired peeps supposed to live

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Rentals aren't as harsh with credit scoring.

Niddy's right when he says that rentals aren't nearly as harsh with credit scoring as mortgage lenders (who have to follow the new MMR rules) because the Landlord knows that they normally only have a six month commitment and then they can start the eviction process or after only eight weeks if there are rent arrears.

I'm sorry if I've been painting a bleak picture but I only wanted to explain the worst case scenario and how to avoid it upfront. The process is the same for all lettings but the interpretation of the credit scoring depends largely on the amount of the rent. In parts of London it's not uncommon to get rent of £5k per week, whereas in some other areas you can rent a whole house for as little as £500 per month. In the latter case the Landlord will relax the criteria.

The dates are relevant too. There can hardly be a person in the UK who didn't get a Default on their CRA file when the Credit Crunch hit unexpectedly. So anything showing between 2008 - 2010 will be expected.

I'm sure SnV will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        There can hardly be a person in the UK who didn't get a Default on their CRA file when the Credit Crunch hit unexpectedly. So anything showing between 2008 - 2010 will be expected.
        As Niddy says, defaults do not show up on this sort of check anyway.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just to clarify they cannot see running account info or defaults so don't declare them - as previously mentioned
          I've got information just in that MARAS do not see Defaults. Some other tenant referencing services can, so it looks like SnV will be lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post

Our posts have crossed. I'm told MARAS don't but some others do. I've been informed of my Tenant's Defaults from a Brighton based agency. I was even given the name of the creditor to whom they owed the money and the amount outstanding. We had a thread on this a couple of years ago.

Comment

I've got information just in that MARAS do not see Defaults. Some other tenant referencing services can, so it looks like SnV will be lucky.
              All or nearly all tenant referencing does not show credit account data. If you know of some that do or claim they do, then let me know as I will get them checked out for the validity of their claims.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I've been informed of my Tenant's Defaults from a Brighton based agency. I was even given the name of the creditor to whom they owed the money and the amount outstanding.
                That sounds very dodgy. Even companies that share credit account data at the highest level like banks should not be able to see the name of a creditor.

Comment

All or nearly all tenant referencing does not show credit account data. If you know of some that do or claim they do, then let me know as I will get them checked out for the validity of their claims.
                  Posts crossed again.

I can't confirm/deny whether they saw all the running account data, but I can confirm they told me the Default existed. What breach would they have committed for searching for that information? Maybe passing it on to me was a breach but how would searching for it be a crime against the DPA if they had bona fide access to the CRA file?

Comment

Niddy's right
                    Theres a first
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

That sounds very dodgy. Even companies that share credit account data at the highest level like banks should not be able to see the name of a creditor.
                      They can't. I know the systems used. All they see is the type of debt (ie bank / card / loan) and the balance, last paid etc...

the name is blanked out for obvious reasons, or a bank can undercut your existing provider etc.

Comment

Maybe naming names was dodgy but knowing of an existing Default however anonymous the creditor wouldn't be dodgy would it? Incidentally the name they named was accurate as confirmed by the Tenant (who I accepted once they explained their divorce situation).

Comment

Posts crossed again.

I can't confirm/deny whether they saw all the running account data, but I can confirm they told me the Default existed. What breach would they have committed for searching for that information? Maybe passing it on to me was a breach but how would searching for it be a crime against the DPA if they had bona fide access to the CRA file?
                          they wouldn't know the name. It's impossible for them to know it UNLESS the tenant told them.

Comment

Would likely be a breach of their data sharing agreement under SCOR I think, and hence the terms of their access to CRA data.

Comment

they wouldn't know the name. It's impossible for them to know it UNLESS the tenant told them.
                              That's exactly what I was about to post. The Letting Agent would have gone to the Tenant first and said they'd discovered a £4k debt with a Default on their CRA file and asked them for an explanation so they could prepare a story for the Landlord.

What I got was a call from the Agent to advise me that the Tenant had a Default for £4k owed to XYZ bank which happened when her husband left her with a joint account overdraft unpaid.

So maybe the Agent was indiscreet about naming the bank in question but that doesn't alter the fact that the Agent got the Default info (quite probably without the name of the lender) from the CRA since the Tenant would not be motivated to tell them that voluntarily would they?

Comment

Still stands that they should not have got the default details from the CRA, named or not. They should either not be allowed to check that level of data, or if they have access for another reason should not be abusing that access to check that level of data for a tenant check.

Anyway, however it occurred or the information was obtained, that is a very bizarre exception and should not happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X