GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MARAS credit check - what does it actually check? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MARAS credit check - what does it actually check?

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    However speaking as a Landlord I do find it rather alarming that a Tenant with 21 Defaults can pass a reference
    I can imagine that it would - especially when you think you're paying to understand that information.

In our case they were 4 years ago now (some are 5 years), so not long now and they'll be dropping off the CRA databases anyway. I suspect the other information we provided was also enough to show that we're good tenants who won't trash the house or not pay the rent

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    But that doesn't stop me from being happy for you though. Enjoy your new home
    Thank you!
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
      No matter what they call it, it still cannot include information derived from credit account data. Seen a similar thing on many letting agent and services report, and they are very careful how they name the so called score to make people think it shows more than it really does. It's a fudge number so that landlords think they are getting value for money.

I queried a similar thing with several in the past, and after some back and forth they've had to admit that defaults or late payments etc on credit accounts do not factor into it.
      Ahem, me again

This week my letting agent carried out a reference on a prospective tenant through Endsleigh. As you will see from their website the "Comprehensive" service does check and reveal Defaults and payment history.

https://www.endsleigh.co.uk/business...t-referencing/

The comprehensive reference simply provides landlords with a full report within 48 hours (subject to referee responses) which will address the key checks, provide referee responses and give a decision.
      The next step is to validate the references (employer/accountant and previous landlord) to give a final report with a decision.

Reference includes:

A 6 year credit history search which identifies defaults, County Court Judgements (CCJ’s), bankruptcies, repossessions and poor payment records.
      Link address search which locates undisclosed associated addresses & residence history.
      Voters Roll check to check that applicant is who they say they are.
      A fraud check with a score to identify fraud potential.
      An interim report is sent within minutes with above information.
      Validation of 2 references (Employer / Previous Landlord) – All referees are contacted directly.
      Accountant / Solicitor references collected if applicant is self-employed.
      Immediate email notification with final report included when reference is complete.
      A final decision either Accept or Decline to help make a decision on prospective tenants.

Comment

Hi All!

Thank you for the welcomes. I used this site during the week there to do some research on Maras Referencing and I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and help. Also I wanted to inform any other users that look for posts on here about Maras the full facts of what they do.

Basically we applied for a flat last Friday and on Monday I contacted them to check the had mine and my partners applications forms. They had and said the process would take 48 hours. I've been chasing them all week and called 3 times today. After this morning they said that the reference was ready and just waiting to be emailed to Claire (myself) I said that was fine and was waiting for hours then called again and after the 3rd phone call she finally sent them over and we had passed (hooray!)

I run a company so was willing to give the lettings agents contact details of my accountant and a printout of my business bank statement but this wasn't required.

Myself and my partner like many people in the UK don't have the most perfect credit score although mines is perfect from the last 5 years.
        What I found was that this company charged us £90 in total to check with myself as the owner of the company if I was employed and my partner was my employee. They done this by sending his reference to me, and my reference to the office manager in my company who is in fact employed by me also :/ Really I had just told the lettings agent this anyway - with payslips and a quick check on Google the lettings agent could have confirmed this.

They then checked if we had any CCJs or bankruptcy which we both don't although we do have unpaid debt.
        Then they seem to have went online and Googled my company name and looked at Company House to confirm I was a director. This is public information and is completely free, but have filled out my reference with the dates of corporation incorrectly saying I've only been running the business 1 month when infact I have been running for a year next month.

My question is - why on earth did I just pay £90 for someone to ask me all the info they needed in the first place when they could so easily have asked for a print out of my Experian credit report which would have cost £2?
        I won't be using them if I ever need to check tenant references - One quick look at the tenant's pay slips and a call to their boss and you would have a better idea of who you are letting your house to.

The point is - anyone worried about MARAS don't be (I've stressed myself out all week about it chasing them to get an answer) They will literally just check with your employer, your current/previous landlord and then check you've no CCJs / bankruptcy. No where near as in depth as I thought it would be.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by no13claire View Post
          My question is - why on earth did I just pay £90 for someone to ask me all the info they needed in the first place when they could so easily have asked for a print out of my Experian credit report which would have cost £2?
          And my question is did you pay £90 to MARAS or to the letting agent to carry out references?

In my experience MARAS do not deal direct with the public only via letting agents who are free to charge what they want for their admin services as long as they make the prospective tenant aware of their charges upfront.

If this was the case with your let then I'd be asking whether the letting agent is a member of any redress scheme (that's now mandatory) and then you can make a complaint to them (the redress scheme) if you have a complaint which has not been resolved to your satisfaction by the agent.

I can help you with contact details of all the redress schemes if that becomes necessary.

Plan B x

Comment

Well life certainly knows how to kick you in the balls. Yesterday got given notice from our landlord that they need the property back and we've been given 2 months notice to vacate the property. At least they are doing things by the book, but was completely unexpected and now puts huge costs on us in terms of finding money for moving, deposit, paying utility balances etc when we least needed it.

Plus we're going to go through the whole credit reference stress again.

Balls.
            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

After reading this thread, I'm even more determined to keep my debt ridden, defaulted, self clinging to the unaffordable mortgage that was taken out in happier times.

Good luck S&V.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassy_K View Post
                After reading this thread, I'm even more determined to keep my debt ridden, defaulted, self clinging to the unaffordable mortgage that was taken out in happier times.

Good luck S&V.

Thanks Grassy

Comment

I do hope you find somewhere with an agent that does not fleece you for charges I suppose on the plus side at least the debts are older now so may have less of an impact on a credit check.
                  When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Hi SnV

Sorry to hear that you have been hit with a section 21
                    to help with the start up costs on a new rental you could if you wanted to, contact your local authority and ask about

discretionary housing payment (dhp) which is a grant that you do not have to pay back. you need a live hb claim to be considered for this. if agreed the hb team pay your new ll or la direct and can be as much as 1 months depo, 1 months rent in advance plus an amount towards la's fees.

alternatively, ask if your authority run a rent deposit scheme. this would be loan which you repay by instalments, and you would be able to clear a large lump of the debt with your current deposit when you get that back after you have moved.

don't forget to go around your home, as the last thing you do on the day that you move out taking pictures of entire home, walls, ceilings, carpets, white goods etc, just in case your ll tries to make a claim against your deposit, you have your evidence so can challenge

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                      Well life certainly knows how to kick you in the balls. Yesterday got given notice from our landlord that they need the property back and we've been given 2 months notice to vacate the property. At least they are doing things by the book, but was completely unexpected and now puts huge costs on us in terms of finding money for moving, deposit, paying utility balances etc when we least needed it.

Plus we're going to go through the whole credit reference stress again.

Balls.
                      sorry to hear this mate. Don't worry about the credit side - as we told you previously it'll be fine.
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Good luck s n v xxx
                        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          sorry to hear this mate. Don't worry about the credit side - as we told you previously it'll be fine.
                          Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
                          Good luck s n v xxx
                          Thanks both, biggest stress at the moment is actually finding something. Not much on the rental market at the moment, and the property that is there is either overpriced or complete wrecks.

Comment

Hi Everyone

Just an update on this - moved house this week! Been a bit stressful as house moves are, still renting, and had no problems with the MARAS 'credit check' which was the 'full' service used by the letting agent.

Best
                            SnV

Comment

Well done on finding somewhere. I hope you will be very happy there.

Comment

best of luck in your new home, hope it will be a happy one xxxx

Comment

Working...
                                X