GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Utility Bill Query - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utility Bill Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied
    Re: Utility Bill Query

Originally posted by pdx2259 View Post
    It's water.

Intended disconnection in the interests of "water efficiency, leakage control and health and hygiene".

Issued a few days after the demand it felt like a blatant attempt to coerce me into settling a debt. Perhaps it was a divine inspired act of benevolence toward a competitor - given they don't supply the property they threatened to disconnect.

Any thoughts?
    Did you live at the address mentioned? Did you pay the last bill? You can't mess around with water utilities, they do play harder than leccy firms.....

Please, tell us the amount involved here?

Leave a comment:

• pdx2259
    replied

It's water.

Intended disconnection in the interests of "water efficiency, leakage control and health and hygiene".

Issued a few days after the demand it felt like a blatant attempt to coerce me into settling a debt. Perhaps it was a divine inspired act of benevolence toward a competitor - given they don't supply the property they threatened to disconnect.

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Qi) If I do nothing, could anyone please advise whether this refusal to verify would have bearing on the claim if they do issue.
    It'll have NO substance whatsoever and it is unlikely the company will actually issue proceedings anyway, however if you name them and the DCA we'll be able to confirm a lot more for you.

Qii) If I decide to do something, what would be the most appropriate course of action.
    Right now, nothing. But normally, I would basically write and quote Arkell vs Pressdram

The plaintiff's lawyers wrote a letter which concluded: "His attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply." The magazine's response was, in full: "We acknowledge your letter of 29th April referring to Mr J. Arkell. We note that Mr Arkell's attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of our reply and would therefore be grateful if you would inform us what his attitude to damages would be, were he to learn that the nature of our reply is as follows: fuck off."

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    Can they cut off your current address supply if the previous addresses debt is with the same utility company? im not so sure, but it wouldnt suprise me, are they any laws regarding this?
    No they cannot - assuming it is gas/electric we're talking? The supply is per address not per individual so ultimately the OP could just "move" and let their partner "re-register" and thus alleviate any cut-off threat.

See the logic in what I am saying here? Basically, it's pointless making such threats as it is too easy to alleviate. Plus they simply cannot do it as the debt remains on the supply address albeit to the actual person that resided there.

What i would do however, is make sure you are not still with the same energy company that the DCA claim to be collecting money on behalf of.
    Won't matter - see above.

Also, i would write to this dca and ask for verification of the debt, i.e what info do they have that tells them the debt is yours.
    Hold fire - we first need to know who the supplier and DCA is

Finally, if they fail to provide you this information, then they most likely do not have it! in which case, you have your argument should it go to court, that you have failed to establish how the debt relates to you.

Someone else please correct me if im wrong.

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

Can they cut off your current address supply if the previous addresses debt is with the same utility company? im not so sure, but it wouldnt suprise me, are they any laws regarding this?

What i would do however, is make sure you are not still with the same energy company that the DCA claim to be collecting money on behalf of.

Also, i would write to this dca and ask for verification of the debt, i.e what info do they have that tells them the debt is yours.

They can easily ignore a request by phone, but written request, sent by recorded delivery is YOUR proof you asked, and then they have to answer to why they failed to comply with the request.

Finally, if they fail to provide you this information, then they most likely do not have it! in which case, you have your argument should it go to court, that you have failed to establish how the debt relates to you.

Someone else please correct me if im wrong.
    Last edited by SXGuy; 8 February 2012, 23:34.

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Sorry for the confusion - they threatened to disconnect the supply of my current address.

No I haven't done anything beside request verification of the debt.
    for the third time now - who are we talking about?

Also if this is regards another address then they cannot touch your current supply - idiots. You need to be open and tell us more - lots more!

Leave a comment:

• pdx2259
    replied

Sorry for the confusion - they threatened to disconnect the supply of my current address.

No I haven't done anything beside request verification of the debt.

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Hi,

The first correspondence I received was a demand for payment from a DCA for a debt apparently arising from my occupation of a previous property. I am fairly certain that this debt does not exist. This was followed a few days later with notice of intention to disconnect supply.
    Hiya

Sorry, you're confusing me here - you're saying you're being harassed over a supply not at your current address? Who is the supplier? How can they cut you off when you don't live there?

Have you actually complained to the company yet?

Leave a comment:

• pdx2259
    replied

Hi,

The first correspondence I received was a demand for payment from a DCA for a debt apparently arising from my occupation of a previous property. I am fairly certain that this debt does not exist. This was followed a few days later with notice of intention to disconnect supply.

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    Impossible dear, you're a bird right?
    And that is precisely why I should be able to multi-task!

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
    (I know I should be able to multi-task)
    Impossible dear, you're a bird right?

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

Sorry - my bad (as you would say )

Trying to do too many things at once (I know I should be able to multi-task)

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

If its a utility that template will be worthless as utilities do not confirm to CCA.

Who is this with and can you tell us more info please?

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied
    Re: Welcome to pdx2259

First of all, only deal with them in writing.

I'd start by sending this --> Our Templates | Harassment & Intimidation Templates | You know nothing of the Debt / Prove It

Leave a comment:

• pdx2259
    started a topic Utility Bill Query

Utility Bill Query

Great thanks!

I'm being pursued for an unsubstantiated and highly suspect utility debt.

On receipt of a letter before claim, I telephoned and requested written verification. This request was acknowledged and agreed at the time. I have a recording and transcript of this conversation.

Unfortunately, the request has been ignored and I've just received another letter before claim.

Qi) If I do nothing, could anyone please advise whether this refusal to verify would have bearing on the claim if they do issue.

Qii) If I decide to do something, what would be the most appropriate course of action.

Many thanks
    Last edited by pdx2259; 8 February 2012, 19:53.
Working...
X