GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bank of Scotland are w**kers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bank of Scotland are w**kers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank of Scotland are w**kers

Just got a letter from BOS about one of my few remaining active credit cards. I've been a good boy and it been run in good order, I could have UE'ed it but I thought that keeping it going may help to rebuild my credit record a little quicker.

The card is paid by DDI so they should be happy, but no they now want to put the interest rate up to 28.95%, they say there has been changes on my credit record that have been to my detriment. I know this isn't true the last adverse that was recorded was nearly 3 years ago and they only things that have changes are some balanced have gone down and a few searches have been deleted.

I think a strong letter coming, anybody got any good templates etc???

Thanks

Re: Bank of Scotland are w**kers

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
    Just got a letter from BOS about one of my few remaining active credit cards. I've been a good boy and it been run in good order, I could have UE'ed it but I thought that keeping it going may help to rebuild my credit record a little quicker.

The card is paid by DDI so they should be happy, but no they now want to put the interest rate up to 28.95%, they say there has been changes on my credit record that have been to my detriment. I know this isn't true the last adverse that was recorded was nearly 3 years ago and they only things that have changes are some balanced have gone down and a few searches have been deleted.

I think a strong letter coming, anybody got any good templates etc???

Thanks
    That's a bit naughty! I assume they are within their rights to change this (?), although wonder why they decided to do it 3 years after adverse info?
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
      That's banks for you!

MBNA did the same to me only there was no adverse credit excuse (that was before I stopped paying everything, in fact, THAT prompted me to seek UE!)

As far as I know, the only option usually is to stop using the card and you keep paying the previous rate on your outstanding balance. I argued with MBNA saying I'd been paying by DD for 15 years without a missed payment but that was the only option the gave me. I know other people who've done that with other cards.
      So its a case of cut one and they all bleed then?
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Think I will put in a formal complaint, I would say the weakness in their letter is they have stated I have new adverse which I dont, as a min it will cost them £500 when it goes to FOS!!!

Comment

Think I will put in a formal complaint, I would say the weakness in their letter is they have stated I have new adverse which I dont, as a min it will cost them £500 when it goes to FOS!!!

Let us know what happens!

Comment

Well actually they can refer to any adverse with any creditor so is your credit file usually squeaky clean? Similarly, they can increase their limits at any time and if you're not happy then you can opt of the increase which would then be cancellation of account meaning it'd go to repayment.

FOS would have no intervention rights as the lender can increase APR's at their leisure, if you decline then you opt to close the account. The FOS take that approach as well, sadly.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

MBNA did the same thing to me, my son was a second card holder and withdrew cash on a couple of occasions, they took this to mean we were having difficulties, so to "help" they increased the APR..

I took the option of closing the account and repaying the balance at the old rate
              Last edited by gravytrain; 12 November 2012, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                Well actually they can refer to any adverse with any creditor so is your credit file usually squeaky clean? Similarly, they can increase their limits at any time and if you're not happy then you can opt of the increase which would then be cancellation of account meaning it'd go to repayment.

FOS would have no intervention rights as the lender can increase APR's at their leisure, if you decline then you opt to close the account. The FOS take that approach as well, sadly.
                No it's not squeaky clean, but there is nothing new in the last 3 years and they have reviewed it before in that time period. So I think it's disingenuous to say the least to use adverse as and excuse at this time.

I did manage to get FOS to help sort out MBNA on the interest rates and charges a few years ago on my wifes account. MBNA put the interest rate up so high that it was more than the minimum payment!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                  ...and I took the option of not repaying the balance at all and send a CCA request instead. They couldn't find it!
                  As was with me! There was PPI as well so the balance started to INCREASE despite keeping the DD for minimum payment. It went over the limit so they started applying overlimit charges too.

Had it not been for them I probably wouldn't even have considered UE!
                  Mine was taken out in 2008 unfortunately, they sent me a signed Photo copy of the agreement earlier when i reclaimed the PPI.
                  They were trying to prove i ticked the box, as if that makes any difference.

Comment

mmmm......I have had similar treatment with HSBC - my main bank account & credit card which I have kept in order.

I have been very tempted to max out (OD & CC) and then go UE but have bottled it to date , as Mrs MattyA is a joint name on the accounts and at the moment her credit file is ok.

Matty

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
                      mmmm......I have had similar treatment with HSBC - my main bank account & credit card which I have kept in order.

I have been very tempted to max out (OD & CC) and then go UE but have bottled it to date , as Mrs MattyA is a joint name on the accounts and at the moment her credit file is ok.

Matty
                      I think your find that if you have any joint accounts at all, your wife will already be tarred with your brush!!!

Comment

Her credit card limits keep being increased / 0% interest balance transfer offers etc etc- all zero balance at the moment btw (emergencey funds)

The only ones to act have been the Halifax who I have number of issues with along with other BOS group companies

I might chance my / her arm in the near for some car finance and see what happens.

Crazy thing is after all of my troubles I got accepted recently for a vodaphone contract?? (they credit checked me !!)

Matty

Comment

Voda are pretty good mate. I have 3 accounts with them and their scoring model is lax to say the least but I'm loyal to em. Been with them over 10 years now
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

With Voda if you have 12mth clear they'll accept you (usually)...

Comment

I think your find that if you have any joint accounts at all, your wife will already be tarred with your brush!!!
                              Interesting. Do you know to what extent?

Comment

Working...
                              X