GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script HSBC combined debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSBC combined debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBC combined debt

Can anyone offer any advice on........ if a bank combines an overdraft and personal loan account ( in my case HSBC) before they sell it to the dca ,
    1 does the new account replace the old one, (should any litigation be directed at this account?)
    2 or can the dca simply ignore this new account and rely on the old accounts
    Thanks

Re: HSBC combined debt

Hi Rascaljesse,
    It's difficult to answer without more details.
    How were the accounts combined? Eg Did they add the loan balance to the Overdraft or combine the two balances into a new loan agreement?
    Did you sign a new agreement?
    When was the original loan taken out?
    What do they describe it as now..a loan or an overdraft?

Comment

The loan is post 2007 8k
      Overdraft , regular account 2k
      I received a hello letter from dca, saying they have bought 10k account, with a different account number .
      Goodbye and assignment letter from HSBC (for the combined amount) obviously from the dca.
      I have cca'd the dca ,
      They have responded by saying the account is not regulated.

I know that HSBC do this quite a lot, and I am just wondering if the dca decides on litigation do they simply return to the details of the original accounts. Or could it be that they are stuck with the new ( hopefully unenforceable account)

Comment

Sounds well dodgy. See what Niddy has to say on this.
        I imagine you'll have to send a Subject Access Request to HSBC to get to the bottom of it.
        Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 7 April 2013, 09:12. Reason: typo

Comment

Yep you need to send advanced SAR to HSBC so you can establish the facts but it is regulated as HSBC usually merge toxic debts into a "managed loan" which you both agree to (assuming you're going to repay it).

If however they've just lumped the two accounts together purely to sell them as a package (to a dca) then each account would be split at the dca into regulated/unregulated.

A SAR will solve the queries. Oh by the way, the dca is talking shit cos your overdraft (not the bank account) IS regulated so regardless they need to address the cca request but for now ignore the dca and SAR HSBC.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

From memory, if accounts are amalgamated prior to being sold, it makes the assignment unlawful....

I had a similar experience some years ago when the cheeky bar stewards amalgamated 3 separate debts into a current account overdraft before selling the lot under that one same, single current account reference number. When challenged, the purchasing DCA dropped it/them like a hot brick but I would need to dig through my files to find the precise argument used before they backed off.

SAR to the OC should flush it all out but you may have to go through it with a fine tooth comb....
            Remember the mantra:
            NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
            Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
            Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks folks, I have requested a sar, I guess it would just be nice if they had shot themselves in the foot! Or better still the head!!!
              Onwards and upwards!

Comment

Originally posted by Rascaljesse View Post
                The loan is post 2007 8k
                Overdraft , regular account 2k
                I received a hello letter from dca, saying they have bought 10k account, with a different account number .
                Goodbye and assignment letter from HSBC (for the combined amount) obviously from the dca.
                I have cca'd the dca ,
                They have responded by saying the account is not regulated.

I know that HSBC do this quite a lot, and I am just wondering if the dca decides on litigation do they simply return to the details of the original accounts. Or could it be that they are stuck with the new ( hopefully unenforceable account)
                Is this Marlin by any chance? They've just bought three of my HSBC accounts merged into one.

1. A current account opened in 1990 (£1.5k overdrawn with no paperwork admitted)

2. A loan account (£5.5k opened 1998 with no CCA admitted )

3. A savings account in credit by £6

They've merged them all under the savings account reference which is weird.

It's been around 5 DCAs and now sold to Marlin. They also told me the debt's not regulated so I told them it was a loan (well it mostly is). Still waiting to hear from them

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                  From memory, if accounts are amalgamated prior to being sold, it makes the assignment unlawful....

I had a similar experience some years ago when the cheeky bar stewards amalgamated 3 separate debts into a current account overdraft before selling the lot under that one same, single current account reference number. When challenged, the purchasing DCA dropped it/them like a hot brick.
                  This would be really good news for me and really bad news for Marlin if I can substantiate it

Would Paul gives us his view because it would be nice to establish the legal bottom line on these combined accounts

Comment

Yep, it's them!
                    I also have a cc with them but its assigned as a different account, have they said that they are asking for a statement of account?
                    Have you sar'd the bank?
                    Do you know who combined the accounts? Marlin, dg, HSBC??

Comment

Would Paul gives us his view because it would be nice to establish the legal bottom line on these combined accounts [/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Comment

I also have a cc with them but its assigned as a different account, have they said that they are asking for a statement of account?
                        Have you sar'd the bank?
                        Do you know who combined the accounts? Marlin, dg, HSBC??
                        The accounts were merged by DG (in-house HSBC) in 2009 when I went into a DMP. The Account in Dispute template has seen off five DCAs and two have helpfully provided letters saying "creditor has no CCA . . . we can't enforce". I've sent those to Marlin with the Account in Dispute letter. So far so good.

I haven't SARd yet because I've got all my paperwork and I know what went on. I'm happy for Marlin to believe my bluff that the whole debt is the loan (well 90% of the balance is/was). But the difference is my loan (element) is UE while sadly yours is post-2007

Comment

......I know
                          Was kind of hoping they wouldn't notice, based on the combined account thing!!!!
                          I think I should change my user name to ' straw clutcher'

Comment

You want Pauls view? I'll ask him
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

......I know
                              Was kind of hoping they wouldn't notice, based on the combined account thing!!!!
                              I think I should change my user name to ' straw clutcher'

But you're clutching at the right straw if an assignment is void due to *combining* before it's sold on. I expect it will have something to do with the order of events with DNs and termination procedures

I'm interested because I don't see how a DJ can give me a CCJ on a debt when 90% of it (the claim) is UE and 10% is enforceable. No doubt DJ Henrietta Manners would find a way

Comment

Working...
                              X