GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script The Dark Clouds Are Gathering - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dark Clouds Are Gathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Clouds Are Gathering

Hi Everyone

New to the forum so thought it would be useful if I gave you an idea of why I'm here...

On 9th May my business will close down after 7 very difficult years of trading. Despite our best efforts, my wife and I have been unable to find alternative employment, but we live in hope.

So on 10th May we are at the mercy of the welfare system

I am not in arrears with any of my creditors at this moment in time and never have been. I have contacted my mortgage company and they have offered me a 3 month holiday and have suggested that after 3 months they would look favourably at changing my mortgage to interest only. My hope is that the government 'Support for mortgage interest' scheme will kick in after the 3 months if we are still unemployed.

So onto my debts. I will have the following outstanding debts as of 10th May:

Business overdraft £10,000 (wife and I personal guarantors)
    Credit card £7,000
    Personal loan £4,500
    Overdraft £1,500

I also have theoretical debts of £88,000 for remainder of business premises lease and £20 month for remaining year of mobile telephone contract.

I have opened a basic current account with a new bank.

My mortgage is for £120,000 and I had my house valued this week at £137,500.

We have no savings and no real assets other than my motorbike worth around £2,500. We have pretty much sold everything else of any value over the last couple of years to try and keep the business afloat.

I hope I haven't missed anything out and I'm sorry for the overlong post.

I would be most grateful if one or many forum members could suggest some sort of plan to start tackling the predicament myself and my wife find ourselves in.

I have decide to keep a diary of my Journey to Financial Freedom in the form of a Blog. I won't post the URL as I'm not sure they're allowed, but feel free to PM me if anyones interested.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: The Dark Clouds Are Gathering

Originally posted by Admax View Post
    I have decide to keep a diary of my Journey to Financial Freedom in the form of a Blog. I won't post the URL as I'm not sure they're allowed, but feel free to PM me if anyones interested.
    Hi & Welcome - quick visit sorry, gotta dash - but its fine to post a link to your blog here - so long as it's not got anything pro bank or sex etc then go for it
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Hi & Welcome - quick visit sorry, gotta dash - but its fine to post a link to your blog here - so long as it's not got anything pro bank or sex etc then go for it
      Nothing Pro Bank and my sex blogs are over subscribed anyway...

http://debtfreethejourney.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

oh you'll fit in here just fine!

Just remember, being in debt isn't a crime and you deserve to live your life and even have a laugh now and again!

This forum, as well as offering guidance and support also offers companionship of others in similar situations.....something you don't always find in the "real" world.

I am sure you will get all the support you need.

diddly x
        If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Any chance you can add a link to this forum from your blog? as we want to appeal to as many as possible.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            Any chance you can add a link to this forum from your blog? as we want to appeal to as many as possible.

Regards
            I'm sure there is a way, I just need to work out how to add one permanently so it shows up on all posts.

The other consideration is being fair to all. a couple of forums have allowed me to add my blog URL to my signature and forum posts, so it would only seem fair they should get the same treatment.

Which, whilst I don't know this forums relationship with other similar forums, might cause some disharmony if forum links are sat side by side.

I welcome your thoughts....

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
              What you say would be fair enough as we're all here to work for the consumer so why not co-operate with each other.

However, other consumer forums out there make a point of totally blocking our domain, applying filters to automatically change any mention of this site and Niddy and banning anyone who makes even the slightest reference to this site or the forum owner.

We don't filter or block other consumer sites and members are allowed to post links to them here.

They don't play fair at all!
              And there in lies my problem...

As it stands at the moment, I have received excellent support from other forums and I would hope to receive the same here, particularly as it has been recommended to me by BBoo who I have a lot of respect for.

Ok here's what I intend to do. I will make it known on other forums that I am a member here. If I receive any negativity or threats of being banned because of my affiliation to this site then I will not include them in any links I provide on my Blog. If everyone is happy that I belong to this and other forums, then I will include a link to all forums on my Blog.

Hope this is an acceptable compromise....

Comment

What you put on your blog, Admax, is your business - why any forum should have a problem with this is beyond any understanding of mine.

You are free to post wherever you wish and I, for one, look forward reading your blog as and when you update it.

diddly

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                  What you put on your blog, Admax, is your business - why any forum should have a problem with this is beyond any understanding of mine.

You are free to post wherever you wish and I, for one, look forward reading your blog as and when you update it.

diddly
                  I'm happy to support those who support me, but I have no desire to get into any silly games between forums...

In due course I will have a look at the possibility of linking back to the forums I use, but for now I could do with spending my time and energy on keeping the wolves from the door.

Comment

Just a quick question, if I may. Business leases can usually be sold on.... any hope of that?

sigpic

Comment

i went under years ago cos of a business lease, are you self employed or ltd company? i dont think its so easy to sell on a business lease, its up to the landlord whether they agree or not i think.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

And that's what we're here for!

When did you take out the credit card and personal loan?
                        Will get back to you with dates later today...

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                          Just a quick question, if I may. Business leases can usually be sold on.... any hope of that?
                          Have been trying to get the lease reassigned for over a year now. Recession has hit hard in these parts and I sit in a row of 6 shops, three of which have been empty for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                            i went under years ago cos of a business lease, are you self employed or ltd company? i dont think its so easy to sell on a business lease, its up to the landlord whether they agree or not i think.
                            It's a Limited Company, but both my wife an I are personal guarantors.

Comment

And that's what we're here for!

When did you take out the credit card and personal loan?
                              The Credit Card was taken out in March 2008 and is in my name only.

The Personal Loan was taken out in January 2009 and I believe is in joint names as all correspondence is addressed to both my wife and I.

Comment

Working...
                              X