GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script dont think I can pay on this letter? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dont think I can pay on this letter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont think I can pay on this letter?

Hello, Long story short, cleared most debts. One stubborn lender refused all offers or even freezing interest for years, has passed to inhouse DCA who have accepted as I have no job and refuse to pay even £1 a month, a reduced settlement offer from my mother in law

MiL sent letter in Nov - no reply nothing but out of blue phone call asking what I could pay and we made a verbal agreement. I explained my MiL is very traditional and would want confirmation in writing that the debt wouldn't be pursed by themselves or any other party etc etc.....the reply came today

Dear xxxx

We refer to your offer to pay a sum in settlement of your liability for your account. We confirm your offer is accepted, provided you pay on time. We have reduced the amount due to the sum you agreed to pay.

Your payment of £xx.xx MUST BE PAID BY 19/06/13

Once this reduced amount has been paid, your credit file may be updated with credit reference agencies as 'Partially Settled'. If you fail to honour this arrangement, the original balance will become due

Yours faithfully
    xxxx

--------------------------------------------

I don't like the word May and also it doesn't say anything about further pursuant of the debt, so I should go back to them? what do I need to demand please?

Thanks

Re: dont think I can pay on this letter?

I would write to them with this if it were me ------> Official Full & Final Settlement Offer
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hold up, dont send that. Its going over the same stuff already agreed on the phone.

The op has confirmation in writing, that should be enough surely?
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I agree - don't send the template above as its already agreed.

That letter is fine but when you post a cheque in you'd then need one of ours to go with it.

So if you're happy to pay, say the amount agreed and ill sort you a reply to send with payment.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by DEBTFREE1DAY View Post
          I don't like the word May and also it doesn't say anything about further pursuant of the debt, so I should go back to them? what do I need to demand please?

Thanks
          You could demand that they set it out in explicit detail, but....

- They have confirmed that it would be in settlement of your liability for the account, which basically does mean that they cannot legitimately sell on or chase the remainder. If your liability has ended as part of the settlement, there is nothing legally enforceable to sell or chase.
          - They "may" mark your file as partially settled. "May" is OK, as the only two option they have for an accurate CRA marker is settled or partially settled. They have to do one of the 2, otherwise the file would not accurately represent a settlement.

In other words, there is enough (in my opinion) in that response for you to go ahead, and that would allow you sufficient comeback if they should try to sell it on or screw with your credit file in ways that are not allowed.

Just my take though.....

Comment

Thanks all

Yes Niddy I am happy with the amount - its 50% and I just want rid so want to proceed

I don't have a cheque book, which doesn't help, but I could get a 3rd party to send the cheque and I could get the money to the 3rd party so that work? alternative options are DD (no way!), pay by phone (not keen to give them my card details),pay at post office (too much money to walk into a PO with I think) pay by post (that's the cheque option) or PAY ONLINE........I was going to pay online as I can control its the exact amount and it will be instant or nearly instant.....but NIDDY, are you saying I should write something back in which case I will take cheque option?

Cheers

Comment

As Rizzle says above. You'll be fine, just pay online if that's your preferred option
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

that's good enuff for me

thanks guys

Comment

OMG...I paid it, and now Halifax have sold whats left to Wescot Credit services ltd

robinson way say its an admin issue and not to owrry.....BUT I am worried

Halifax have taken what I paid off what I owed and have sold the remaining to wescot and have written to me asking me to contact wescot

this is a nightmare

Comment

No it's fine. Explain to robber way that its settled and for them to IMMEDIATELY notify HBOS or you'll go to the FOS.

You'll be fine. Stay calm. Do it in writing.

Ignore the new dca for now. It's not their fault. Robber way is 100% at fault so demand they resolve this.

Comment

thanks niddy, I will write tomorrow morning!

hey ho....

Comment

Originally posted by DEBTFREE1DAY View Post
                        thanks niddy, I will write tomorrow morning!

hey ho....
                        Just stay calm and reiterate your agreement and remind them it is their responsibility to notify the OC of settlement. Also say if you end up in court as a result of this you may seek direct action against Robinson Way for their ploy to deceive a consumer.

I suspect they'll be keen to resolve this. At this point just ignore HBOS and the new dca. But keep notes of any calls/letters

Comment

Hi, having spoke to rob way who said it was a admin issue and Halifax would correct at the next payment run, I have heard nothing so all good there, but today I looked at noddle and found the balance is still showing as outstanding to Halifax, last updated in June with status of default

I know that I cant get rid of the default but would like the account balance to show as zero (like my other ex-debts)......do I need to take action and if so should I send the letter to Rob way or Halifax? or both?

Thanks

Comment

cheeky bump as keen to know if I should write a letter . thanks

Comment

If you have settled with Halifax, I would just send them a quick short letter advising that after settlement, your Credit ref file has not been updated.

Just a little nudge

Comment

Working...
                              X