GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script British Gas Electricity Charges. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Gas Electricity Charges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Electricity Charges.

I am having major problems with so many debt. My main concerns are the Mortgage and the monsters of all monsters British Gas. They supply both my gas and electric. The continuous trouble I have been having are so ridiculous they are almost impossible to believe. I having been fighting with them for years, but on 2 different matters. The first case lasted about 3 years when the amount of electric used per month went gradually up. It got to the point where they insisted I was using over £900 per quarter. They tested my meter and told me it was going too slow so I owed them more. I had carried on paying £200 per quarter through all of this. They told me that they would replace my meter and that I had to pay my bill or they would work out the extra I should be charged with it running slow. It was then I realized that what ever they had done to my meter, it was indeed slowing down to almost a stop. So I told them I was keeping my meter. It was at this point I finally got through to some one with common sense that realized I could not possibly use that much power. I had been daft enough to try and handle this over the phone, week in week out I went through the same p*** taking questions... did we have a swimming pool, are there any caravans in the area, one actually insisted that whilst I was on the phone to him I walked around the outside of the house and described any cables going in. When they calculated my more realistic usage they had to credit my account with £1800 that I had over paid. I was about to switch providers when they UN-credited my account and instead added the £1800 as a debt. Apparently this was the fault of someone in India!!
    I agreed to the new meter, and then it soon began again. I have used copy and paste on a section of the letter I emailed to them recently. It shows what has been happening. Then I will past the response I got from this which left me GOB SMACKED

Re: British Gas Electricity Charges.

First of all I have a few details so that the problem can be seen clearly.
    Customer reference number:

Electricity you've used this period
    Meter number:
    19TH October 10-actual 20694 we read your meter
    9thDecember 10-estimated 20994 Estimated
    = 300.00 KWh used over 52 days (estimated)
    5.769 Per day
    First 71 kWh x 22.417p £15.92
    Next 229 kWh x 8.735p £20.00
    Cost of electricity used this period £35.92
    10th December 10-estimated 20994 estimated at price change
    20th January 11-actucal 21259 we read your meter
    =265 KWh used over 42 days (actual)
    6.309 Per day
    First 83 kWh x 21.248p £17.64
    Next 182 kWh x 9.037p £16.45
    Cost of electricity used this period £34.09
    Total cost of electricity used £70.01

In a total of 94 days I used 565 KWh of Electricity.
    6.010 Per day
    Now compare that with the following
    Electricity you’ve used this period
    Meter number:
    16 Feb 12 - actual 56592 We read your meter
    17 Apr 12 - actual 60960 We read your meter
    = 4368.00 kWh used over 62 days (actual)
    70.451 Per day
    First 122 kWh x 23.552p £28.73
    Next 4246 kWh x 10.809p £458.95
    Total cost of electricity used £487.68

Compare the 2 and tell me there is nothing wrong.
    In a total of 94 days I used 565 KWh of Electricity. 6.010/day
    In a total of 62 days I used 4368 KWh of Electricity. 70.451/day
    Electricity you’ve used this period
    Meter number:
    8 Apr 11 - estimated 24653 Estimated
    17 Aug 11 - estimated 39070 Estimated
    = 14417.00 kWh used over 132 days (estimated)
    First 260 kWh x 21.248p £55.24
    Next 14157 kWh x 9.037p £1279.37
    Cost of electricity used this period £1334.61

18 Aug 11 - estimated 39070 Estimated at price change
    20 Oct 11 - actual 46338 We read your meter
    = 7268.00 kWh used over 64 days (actual)
    113.562 Per day
    First 126 kWh x 24.201p £30.49
    Next 7142 kWh x 11.458p £818.33
    Cost of electricity used this period £848.82

21 Oct 11 - actual 46338 We read your meter
    11 Jan 12 - estimated 53040 Estimated
    = 6702.00 kWh used over 83 days (estimated)
    80.746 Per day
    First 164 kWh x 24.201p £39.69
    Next 6538 kWh x 11.458p £749.12
    Cost of electricity used this period £788.81

12 Jan 12 - estimated 53040 Estimated at price change
    18 Jan 12 - actual 53665 We read your meter
    = 625.00 kWh used over 7 days (actual)
    89.285 Per day
    First 14 kWh x 23.552p £3.30
    Next 611 kWh x 10.809p £66.04
    Cost of electricity used this period £69.34

Comment

As per our PM exchange, first thing I would do is contact the regulatory bodies

See the following, I would complain to both!

--> Energy

--> Ofgem Home
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Average usage is just 697 kWh = £103 Per 3 months based on the latest 3 months ours works out at 7705 kWh = £898 per 3 months £412 per year compared to £3592.

On the 25th of January 2011, I received my eclectic bill of £71, in total I needed to pay £85.00 and I was up to date. Within those 22 months I have in total paid £869.18, (compared to the average bill of £824 per 24 months)

Comment

I am now approximately £5245.22 in debt.

Since the beginning of this latest episode, I have had personal matters that have also been very distressing, due to which I have found this matter too much to deal with. We are also grieving due to the death of a parent. We have 3 young children and other responsibilities. We do not have excessive electrical appliances. Our kettle and cooking facilities are not electrical; we do not have a microwave, or dishwasher. We have hard wood and tile flooring so we don’t use a vacuum cleaner; we have gas central heating and hot water, no shower and no hair dryer. Relating back to previous daft questions asked, still no swimming pool and no field of caravans in the area.

The threat of you applying for a warrant to break in to my house in order to disconnect our family from electric is frightening and makes me frightened in my own home. I have been made to think that I am helpless in this matter, and due to the horrible degrading way I was spoken to when I phoned previously to beg for the warrant to be stopped, I have since found it all too much to face. This has had a terrible effect on so many aspects of this family’s life. I think the way I have been treated is without respect or honour. I want to see a clear bill that is not made up or part guess work. It would be ridiculous to put in a pre pay meter. Even if I could afford to pay almost 9 times more than the average person, and pay the ridiculous amount that you have already come up with, I don’t think it would be physically possible to keep up with, how many times a day would I have to go outside and top up with £5 vouchers?

I do not understand in anyway why I should be stopped from seeking a different energy supplier. I need to see in writing the details of any contract that you are suggesting I have with you that prevents me from changing supplier. The amount you are attempting to charge is unjustified and your behaviour is in dishonour.

Please provide verification of your claim including a lawful contract and an invoice with proof it is the right amount within ten (10) days from the above date so that I might settle any financial legal obligation I might lawfully owe.

Here is the response

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to contact Chris Jansen. As British Gas Customer Relations Manager, your email has been forwarded for my attention.

I’m sorry that you’re upset at the prospect of having a prepayment meter installed but given that you’ve only made one payment in the last two years, we are satisfied that we’re taking the right steps to recover the balance outstanding on your electricity account.

Currently you have a debt of £5245.22 outstanding which has accrued due to above average consumption plus a longstanding history of non payment. You have provided lots of information in your email but to simplify the matter of your consumption, here is what you’ve used in the past three years:

31/07/2009 (read 00645) – 20/07/2010 (read 17516): 16871 kWh
            20/07/2010 (read 17516) – 18/07/2011 (read 42340): 24824 kWh
            18/07/2011 (read 42340) – 30/07/2012 (read 70038 est): 27698 kWh

I am aware that you have a history of disputing your electricity consumption dating back to 2008 which is before the current meter was installed. Your previous electricity meter was exchanged in July 2009 due to your previous dispute. As a means to resolve the issue we also withdraw a sizeable proportion of the outstanding balance, despite there being no evidence that the meter was faulty.

Due to your ongoing dispute we have endeavoured to test your meter for accuracy and have made numerous contacts to you between 17 May 2012 and 13 July 2012 without response. Although we are confident that the current meter is accurate, I feel we’ve provided you with ample opportunity to arrange an appointment to install a calibration meter so the consumption could be proved. You did not co-operate with us on this matter so our intention is now to install a prepayment meter to recover what is owed. We have applied for a warrant under the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 and have scheduled a court hearing on 15 November 2012. You will already have been informed of this in a separate letter.

We have a valid contract for the supply of electricity and are authorised under the Electricity Act 1989 to prevent your supply from withdrawing while there is an overdue debt outstanding.

Given your poor payment history, and the sizeable balance outstanding, we can now only offer you prepayment terms in regards to the onward management of your account. We are not in a position to offer you an instalment plan. The cost of your consumption through a prepayment meter will not be more than you are currently charged on a quarterly basis and we will set a weekly recovery to repay the debt which is in line with your personal circumstances. If you wish to avoid the costs associated with the warrant process, we may be able to install a prepayment meter on a voluntary basis but the exchange must take place before 15 November 2012. To achieve this timeline you will need to advise me when you can provide access to our engineer at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Name Removed
            Customer Relations Manager
            Managing Director’s Office

Comment

By the way most of the accusations where blatant lies.....

Comment

I had received no letter about the 15 th, by the time I got there the matter had been dealt with and the warrant granted. Fortunatly the magistrate had not left and agreed to speak with me. I had taken along a few of the bills to show her the discrepancy, which was a shock to her as the amount on the warrant was £250. I agreed to pay that amount instead to clear the debt but she said I would have to sort it out with them. Thankfully the fact I had not been given notice was enough for her to withdraw the warrant due to this going against my human rights.

What do I do since then I have had more letters, only this time not from the normal face 2 face debt collectors, now its a different firm. I am so worn down and trying to keep the electric on especially over Christmas, we have three children

Comment

I noticed one time that they had estimated the reading higher than it was, then because the next actual reading was lower they treated it as though it had gone around the clock.

Comment

18 Jul 2011 42340 Meter Reader 17687.00
                    07 Apr 2011 24653 Estimated 3394.00
                    20 Jan 2011 21259 Meter Reader 565.00
                    18 Oct 2010 20694 Meter Reader 3178.00
                    20 Jul 2010 17516 Meter Reader 2618.00
                    15 Apr 2010 14898 Meter Reader 99528.00
                    07 Apr 2010 15370 Estimated 2780.00
                    03 Mar 2010 12590 Customer read 592.00
                    24 Feb 2010 11998 Customer read 2791.00
                    25 Jan 2010 09207 Meter Reader 3856.00
                    19 Oct 2009 05351 Estimated 4706.00
                    31 Jul 2009 00645 Customer read 645.00
                    02 Jul 2009 00000 Meter Reader .00

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      As per our PM exchange, first thing I would do is contact the regulatory bodies

See the following, I would complain to both!

--> Energy

--> Ofgem Home
                      Is there anything I should stay clear of saying? I am so scared I will get it wrong and end up owing all that money. It would be impossible to keep up to a payment meter.....

Comment

Jeeezus, I have a mate who grows........ well he is a gardener and doesn't use that much power, you need to complain to the people niddy pointed you to mate.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtremEmotion View Post
                          Is there anything I should stay clear of saying? I am so scared I will get it wrong and end up owing all that money. It would be impossible to keep up to a payment meter.....
                          Be 100% honest. No lies, honesty is key here. Just stick to facts and not opinion.... if anyone can help, they're the guys
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                            Jeeezus, I have a mate who grows........ well he is a gardener and doesn't use that much power, you need to complain to the people niddy pointed you to mate.
                            In my PM I did ask if they are linked to any other houses as they could be growing, but that usage is unreal - that is like a whole farm-house of growth!

Nuts eh!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              In my PM I did ask if they are linked to any other houses as they could be growing, but that usage is unreal - that is like a whole farm-house of growth!

Nuts eh!
                              Yeah I suppose if he was then he could pay the bill easily

Comment

Working...
                              X