GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script UE questions (pre-2006 debt) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE questions (pre-2006 debt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UE questions (pre-2006 debt)

Hi,

I am new on here and am looking for some advice. I got into quite a lot of debt after my dad died, some years ago. I was subsequently diagnosed as chronically depressed and received treatment for this at a local hospital for more than two years. During this time I also lost my main source of income and my finances fell into disarray. For a long time I felt quite phobic about my finances and did the minimum to keep the wolves at bay but am now feeling stronger and want to try to address things.

I’ve done quite a lot of reading on here and on other sites and think I have a case for pursuing the UE route with a credit card debt of over £10k for which I also believe I have a strong case for mis-sold PPI (however I have never made a PPI claim due to the UE situation). I sent off a SAR in 2013 and the covering letter I received back (along with info) stated:

‘…All statements prior to September 2001 have not been retained by the Bank. Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to locate a copy of the signed agreement. We can assure you that before we opened your credit card account we would have required sight of a signed agreement. If you take this matter further, we are confident in our ability to be able to prove this. […] Credit card numbered XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX was opened in… 1999.’

I was served with a default notice 4/5 years ago and have had a payment arrangement in place since around 2009 for a relatively small amount (always paid in cash over the counter) as I work part-time. I am completely up to date with this arrangement. In recent months the OC has started to send me letters claiming I have agreed to a new arrangement of double the usual amount (even though I have not been in touch with them since sending off the SAR request in 2013) and is now claiming I am behind on payments for this fictional and unilateral (non-)agreement. I am in the process of writing a letter to them to the effect that I do not acknowledge this new ‘agreement’ they are claiming I am behind on.

I accrued other debts with the same creditor - a loan (used to pay off credit card debt) which was applied for online in the summer of 2004 and an overdraft (mostly comprised of minimum payments to my credit card when the OC knew I was in financial difficulty). Both of these have since apparently been sold on to third parties. I believe the loan (taken out online in 2004) may also be UE. I have not made a payment to or been in contact with the company/DCA to which the loan debt was seemingly sold since finding out about the sale approx two years ago (although it seems the OC sold the debt well in advance of notifying me so any payments made on the existing arrangement I had with the OC after the sale may have been transferred to the buyer of the debt). I have never asked to see the credit agreement for the loan although the SAR info from the OC included a signed loan agreement that, it is claimed, was subsequently posted to me. I originally applied for, and was accepted for, this loan online, however.

I know the CCA does not apply to the overdraft, however I am not happy about the fact that this debt is mostly for money that was taken from my current account to pay off my credit card when the bank knew I was in financial difficulty. A number of charges were also applied. It is likely, however, I will seek to set up another payment arrangement for this in the near future (I have previously had monthly arrangements with both the OC and a DCA before the debt was sold).

None of the amounts in question are anywhere near being SB due to payments being made. I am about to send off a CCA request to the OC for the credit card but have a few questions I’m hoping the forum can help with:

1) Do you agree it would be wise to also send a letter stating I do not recognise the false repayment ‘agreement’ they say I am behind on as I was not party to it? I do not intend to mention the existing repayment agreement but feel it may help my case if I have evidence this is not a case of me not sticking to an agreement (I have all deposit stubs and statements relating to the existing payment agreement). I believe they will probably claim it was a mistake based on the fact I paid a couple of months in one go on a couple of occasions (usually after missing a payment).

2) If no signed agreement is forthcoming as I expect, how should I proceed with the current payment arrangement I have for the credit card? I am not seeking to avoid paying the debt but have no means to pay it at the moment apart from in monthly amounts. As these amounts are relatively small, however, I’m thinking it might be in the OC’s interest to accept a full and final settlement offer if it turns out to be UE - I would dearly love to sort the situation out once and for all and am hoping the defaults will disappear from my credit file in a year or so.

3) Should I also send off a CCA request for the loan that was sold? This was applied for online (summer 2004).

Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks. (Sorry for such a long first post - wanted to get everything down!)
    Last edited by simpleton; 13 January 2015, 17:00.

Re: UE questions (pre-2006 debt)

To help us, to help you, please provide the following information for each account:

• Type of account (credit card/loan)

• Date commenced (ideally before Apr 2007)

• Approx balance

• Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)

• Are you on arrangement or not paying

• Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)

• Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender)
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying.

Credit card, commenced 1999, approx £11k, arrangement up-to-date (payment arrangement with OC), in default since 2009/10, lender (OC)
      Loan, approx £2.5k, commenced June/July 2004 (online), last paid 2013 (payment arrangement with OC), in default since 2009/10, DCA (debt sold)
      O/D, approx £800, last paid roughly a year ago (payment arrangement with OC), in default since 2009/10, DCA (debt sold)

Not sure what you mean by 'FULL payment' but all of these have been with collection department or DCAs since 2009/10 if that helps?

Thanks...

Comment

well it's up to you what you do .....

If it were me I'd stop paying anything and send off a cca request
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

welcome to AAD

the first step in the UE journey is to request a cca from whoever is dealing with the debt at the time

who are we actually dealing with here?

it's useful for us to know as different oc/dca follow different patterns sometimes

you need to bear in mind that the object of UE is to get to statute barred, ie 6 years in England without paying or acknowledging the debt in writing. That means that you would have to stop paying the £11K debt to the OC, has it been defaulted?

Comment

Hi, yes, all are in default. The original debt was all with Lloyds. The loan is now with Apex and I'm not sure who the O/D is with at the moment.

Comment

ok, the first thing as I said would be to send off a cca request to whomever is writing to you

http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/inde...22-cca-request

if no one is chasing the OD at the moment, I would just leave it until someone contacts you you need to sign the above digitally and enclose a £1 postal order

send them off and sit back and wait to see what comes back

seemples!

Comment

The O D will be just facility letter, not CCA

Comment

Yes, leave the OD until someone contacts you. When they do, providing they're not threatening court etc, then send this
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Will send off the CCA requests and let you know how I get on.

Comment

Hi, welcome to AAD, one other bit of advice is do not speak to any of them on the phone! If they do call refuse to answer their security questions.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                        Hi, welcome to AAD, one other bit of advice is do not speak to any of them on the phone! If they do call refuse to answer their security questions.
                        All communication in writing and filed! Any letter sent to DCAs etc Recorded Delivery/proof of posting attached to letter.
                        Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 15 January 2015, 10:43.

Comment

Working...
                        X