GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Question re PPI reclaim - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question re PPI reclaim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re PPI reclaim

We have a claim in to a creditor re PPI on a credit card that was mis-sold. We sent in the claim quite some time ago. They have since sent two letters back, saying they are "still working on it." The last letter stated that they were obliged to tell me that I could bring it to the FOS if I was not happy with the delay.

I understand this:
    The normal timescale is that of 8 weeks, but they sometimes write to request for more time.
    They should keep you informed of the progress of your complaint.

However, if you've not heard anything by the time 8 weeks have passed, you do have the right to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), I would check your Credit Agreement to make sure the business were regulated by GISC of FSA who taken over on 14th Jan 2005.
    The FOS are only able to take on complaints if regulated by the above govening bodies.
    I think that they were stalling to see what the recent court decision was going to be. But now I haven't heard anything further, I'm wondering if I should basically send them a letter saying that this needs to be actioned or it will be brought to the attention of the FOS. Or would I be better going directly to the FOS? I was hoping that by sending them one last "hello, get this sorted" letter, that it would get a bit of positive response.

Any opinion on this? Not really sure which way to go, but leaning towards sending them a letter first..... then if not sorted immediately, going to FOS.....

Re: Question re PPI reclaim

If i were you, i would ring them and ask how the claim is progressing, if you take this to fos then you may wait for up to a year or longer.

Comment

Originally posted by amersall View Post
      If i were you, i would ring them and ask how the claim is progressing, if you take this to fos then you may wait for up to a year or longer.
      I totally agree, or even send a chaser letter - but don't go to the fos just yet, save for the the final response/offer from the lender.....
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Totally agree with the above posts.
        Chase them up and ask them to send you an update, as they've had ample time to deal with your case.
        Send by recorded delivery as well.
        Good luck.

Comment

I'll send a chaser letter, thank you! It's DH actual account, but I do all our paperwork. He gets very uncomfortable and stressed dealing with them on the telephone. So a letter it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by liandconsmum View Post
            I'll send a chaser letter, thank you! It's DH actual account, but I do all our paperwork. He gets very uncomfortable and stressed dealing with them on the telephone. So a letter it will be.

Yes best way in writing anyway, my hubby is the same lol, good luck.

Comment

Received an interesting letter from MBNA Virgin today regarding our PPI reimbursement request (due to mis-selling as didn't cover pre-existing conditions, which DH had and which they didn't tell us about). They have stated that they need us to send proof of his pre-existing conditions that cover the date of the policy for them to "consider" before they make a decision.. ????

I understand their thinking, but it aggravates me that a- if we knew we needed proof, we would have put aside specific paperwork, and b- why should we have to send confidential information to them re medical problems when they should have told us about it regardless?!? And when they say they will use the information to "consider" it further... ridiculous!! Are they going to say "oh well, this is unlikely to cause him time off work so it wouldn't affect it" ?!?

This would be from approximately 10 years ago... I honestly don't even know if we HAVE the paperwork now. And we live in a different area now, so would have to possibly get a letter from GP (and pay for it as it would need to be researched a bit as this happened in Devon). Not to mention that they told us months ago that it would be completed, and they are STILL dragging this out....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Your GP will have all the information on your medical notes.
                However, he/she will not reveal same to a non health professional!

Comment

Further to the above and in order that you do not incur any expense.
                  You could write back to MBNA, requesting that they contact your GP themselves.

Of course, MBNA will have to obtain consent from you prior, as the information required falls under DPA sensitive medical data.

Your GP is not permitted to discuss your medical history with a non health professional. But, he/she could confirm that you were not fit for work at the time in question.

MBNA, always drag their heels...!
                  Last edited by Angry Cat; 8 July 2011, 09:40. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi there

I agree with Angry Cat here.

Although I am aware a payment is also requested isn't it?

Contact your GP/Reception and see what they have to say.

Comment

The situation is that DH had kidney surgery in his 20s, and he was told at the time that by the time he was 40-45 he would most likely need to have surgery again regarding the same problem. Hence pre-existing condition that might have necessitated loads of time off work - he was laid up for literally months afterwards. Luckily, he has not had to have it done yet, but it's something that he has to keep an eye on, in case symptoms recur.

He also had a metal plate (plus a bunch of wires and screws) surgically put in his leg from an accident, which he was told would most likely need to be removed in years to come (and after causing him recurring pain for the last 7 years, was finally removed this winter, requiring him to be off work for almost 2 months, as there were complications and due to the physical aspect of his job.

At the time this account was taken out, these two things would have been the most likely cause of long-term time off - and had they mentioned pre-existing medical conditions would not be covered, that would have been an instant red flag! Obviously these two situations would have been considered pre-existing, especially as he was told it would most likely require further medical attention in the future.

But DH is absolutely not comfortable giving MBNA permission to speak to his GP, simply because he doesn't trust them at all (MBNA, I mean). I may have to contact the hospital and see if I can't get any information from his files from then that we can copy and send back with an explanation. But it irritates me that we even have to do this. If they didn't explain the pre-existing, when they should have, surely that's enough....

And they want it in 21 days, whereas they have had our request for months!!!
                      Last edited by liandconsmum; 8 July 2011, 11:57. Reason: adjusting 14 to 21 days.... sigh... misread, but still annoyed

Comment

I understand where your coming from.

Maybe your GP could supply you with the records and you then only give details maybe in copies with dates etc of the med condition as such, so it will be then down to you what you send, just a thought as I understand you can request for copies of the med records yourself without the need of the bank doing this.

Comment

Yes, I think I will do that. Then I can pick out what's related, and blank out any personal information that is unrelated or unnecessary. I will put together a letter and send it to them stating that we are currently putting together the requested medical proof so that they don't think we are ignoring it.

Thanks.

Comment

How do I access my medical records (health records)?

Comment

AC,

Here you go:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.asp...categoryid=160

And from the national archives

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g.../FAQ/DH_065886

Regards

And from the ICO:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public...es/health.aspx
                              Last edited by pompeyfaith; 8 July 2011, 14:45. Reason: Added Link

Comment

Working...
                              X