GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Agreement To Pay damage? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agreement To Pay damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreement To Pay damage?

Hi

I gained a default in 2002 and worked hard to pay off my debts. Lesson well and truly learned, I've spent the years since repaying all my debts, living like a pauper and ensuring nothing else went sideways.

After all that, as of last year, the only remaining debt I had was my Barclays current account. I had an overdraft and a reserve overdraft on top of that. Barclays called me as I was £400 into my reserve and offered to help by bringing the reserve amount down at a gradual level, to which I agreed it would be a good idea.

I repaid my reserve over the next 5 months and finally the remainder of my overdraft by September. However I got declined on a new current account (I wanted to switch) and a 0% finance application in August. I thought this was just me having been in my overdraft so recently, so thought nothing more of it.

I checked my Experian credit report after being declined another current account last week to find AP listed against my Barclays Current Account.

Now, I was never over my reserve overdraft limit, had been paying into my account every month. I just wanted rid of my old credit cards first before clearing my overdraft (Apparently now I know the wrong way round to do it).

So, is this what has damaged my credit rating? I'm furious as Barclays called up "trying to help". One of the reasons I wanted to switch was when I was made redundant in 2010, Barclays responded in my plea for clemency by simply charging me for some declined direct debits which they said were meant to "encourage me to pay!"

The horror stories I'm seeing on Google is that this is as bad as a default. Is that true? Is there anything I can do or have Barclays just screwed me over (AGAIN!)

I'm very concerned as I want to switch my mortgage provider next year.
    Attached Files

Re: Agreement To Pay damage?

Hi sulphur2001

I don't know all that much about credit files (except that mine is a sea of red!) but I've asked if someone can have a look at your thread as I didn't want to just read and run.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Those 5 AP's shouldn't cause much damage as the account is back on track. Easy and plausible explanation.

However an email to their CEO wouldn't go amiss based in it being THEIR suggestion you go in a formal arrangement without being told this would have an adverse effect.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Group ceo ---> antony.jenkins@barclays.com

Head of compliance ---> hector.sants@barclays.com
        Last edited by Pixie; 5 April 2013, 19:31.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My main reason, I guess, for posting is it seems to be stopping me from gaining even the most basic forms of credit. I have recently been declined:
          - a Santander current account
          - an Open University OUSBA loan
          - £450 0% finance for some music equipment (just a test more than anything else)

Is it really going to be another six years of being forced into sub-prime anything when it comes to financial products? I've already done that before and it's an expensive and impossible way to exist - I'm convinced, designed to keep anyone who falls on hard times in the poor house!

Comment

Those markers didn't decline you mate. That's a fact.

What else is on your report? I'd look at that. How many searches? Moving away from equifax, what does experian show?

There's another reason for the declines. Find that
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Would the decline of the current account last summer have anything to do with it?

Applying for a new current account when your present current account is just showing coming out of AP's and therefore distress?

Then applying for credit at intervals not sufficient to allow the last refusal to stop causing grief?

Comment

Nah, the decline of last year won't affect it on it's own...

How many previous searches are showing..?

Comment

I have four other active accounts on my record.

Comet (Santander): Opened to finance a fridge freezer in 2009, paid back during the interest free period, was closed by proxy in February 2013 when Comet went into liquidation. No delinquency or late payments at all! The only negative I can think is that the limit of £750 basically sat unused. I kept the account just in case any other household appliances needed replacing. As it turned out, after I paid the balance in 2010, it sat unused.

Barclaycard: £2500 limit, currently at £1900 owing. Never a payment missed, never over the limit.

Santander Credit Card: £4000 limit, currently at £2200. Never a payment missed, never over the limit.

Mortgage: Opened at £200,000, current balance is £119,000. No missed payments.

Other than these APs, it's green all the way through! There are a couple of 1s and 2s on some old accounts I no longer have, however all of these predate 2008 at the most!

I had an interest free musical instrument purchase finance which went from 2010-2011. No payments missed at all. This was also around the time I applied for (and was accepted for) the Barclaycard and Santander credit card. The 1s and 2s on my old accounts didn't seem to affect my ability at this time!

My recent applications (as memory best serves).

Current account application September 2012: I had been out of my Barclays overdraft for 3-4 months. Looking at my statements, I was out completely in June 2012 and have remained out ever since. Application to Santander's current account as I wanted to switch from Barclays was declined.

Applied for an interest free balance transfer card from MBNA in January 2013: Declined

Applied for an Open University OUSBA account last month. Declined, have since had to pay my fees on my Santander card.

Applied for a musical instrument credit earlier this week as I was concerned about the amount of rejections, again declined. This was the same provider who accepted me in 2010-2011. And it was for a lesser amount. In 2010/2011, the amount was £1430. Last week it was £450.

The only difference I can see, apart from me having less debt, are these APs. I've been full time employed all my life, in my current role for 2 years on a salary of £29,000. I'm electorally registered, have no defaults, CCJs, etc...
                  Last edited by sulphur2001; 6 April 2013, 09:09.

Comment

Ordered my Experian report - sadly snail mail. Should be here at some point in the next week!

Is it worth getting the CallCredit one too?

Comment

Hiya

How many searches show????

Comment

Originally posted by sulphur2001 View Post
                        Ordered my Experian report - sadly snail mail. Should be here at some point in the next week!

Is it worth getting the CallCredit one too?
                        Ok wait for Experian report - nah, pointless seeing CC at the moment as the lenders you mention use Experian and Equifax as primary CRA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          Hiya

How many searches show????

April 2012 - Barclaycard CPU Link... Opt In: I have no idea what this is!

September 2012 - O2 Opt Out: This is my mobile phone. Technically paid for by work, but it was accepted after my Santander current account application was declined.

March 2013 - Open University: This was my declined OUSBA agreement for this year's study

Other Searches
                          October 2012: Instrument Finance Company: credit quotation, declined. I seem to remember I attempted to finance a purchase here. I assumed it was too close to my out of overdraft freedom.

October 2012: Same as above... this appears twice on the same date for some reason?

December 2012: Another instrument finance company search. Again declined.

March 2013: Recent instrument application, mainly to test if this was still a no after the OUSBA knocked me back!

September 2012: Swinton Group Insurance Quotation

July 2012: Swinton Group Insurance Quotation

October 2012: Equifax Authentication Check: I seem to remember ordering my report here.

October 2012: Customer Enquiry: I assume to do with the above?

By the way, cheers for all your insight people!

Comment

Can you screen print searches and attach to a pm to me please.

Thanks.

Comment

Emailed (couldn't seem to attached to a PM)

Comment

Working...
                              X