GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Credit Card Company's Right of Set Off when Debt Has Been Sold - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Company's Right of Set Off when Debt Has Been Sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Company's Right of Set Off when Debt Has Been Sold

I have a situation which is driving me a little loco!

Had a CC with Barclayshark and they sold it to a third party DCA. The assignee introduced themselves on numerous occasions and not really feeling like entertaining them, a CCA was posted along with the necessary £1. Whilst waiting for them to respond/comply, a nice little SAR was sent to BC so all charges and PPI could be taken into account as no way did the amount demanded represent the true amount owed.

So SAR (eventually) turned up and amounts wrongfully added were totted up, appropriate interest added and the "hey you thieves, give me my money back" letter was despatched. Letter ping pong ensued and settlement reached BUT the cheeky numchucks have declared that they have "off set" to the third party the amount owed DESPITE me telling them otherwise that they CANNOT do that but they insist THEY CAN!

Now..... Advice was solicited from the FOS as after all in the Ombudsman News Issue 40 they state they can't do that, and the first person spoken to referred me to the FSA. Spoke to the FSA who said that they don't regulate because it is a "credit card" and it relates to "charges", and is not a bank account and is something the OFT would be able to help me with as it falls under the CCA Act! If it was PPI, then that's a different matter entirely! WTF!

Ok, so not to be deterred in my fight, a call was made to the OFT and when finally got through to an actual person was told they can't give me that kind of advice and gave me a complaint number and said they would also send it onto TS in case they could help but said I should speak to FoS again and find out where they got their information from that they printed in issue 40 of their newsletter!

So back to the FoS and I asked them "well where did you get your authority from on which to base your claim as to the ordinary Joe, the way your statement reads, it would imply that it is applicable no matter whether it is a bank account or a credit card account as the fact remains the assignee is NOT a part of the SAME organisation as the assignor!". Their response.... put it in writing and they will forward it to their Press Office! Again, WTF!!

So after the long background history lesson, my question is does anyone know where the OFT in their infinite wisdom may have gleaned knowledge to make the statement they did? I know they did this a good couple of years ago and things change at an ever rapid pace and if this is the case that BC CAN do this, where do we find the source of that authority? Is there any case law or regulation to back up my stance that they CANNOT do this or one that one that givIes them a big fat "YAY, we CAN"!

Thoughts?

Titan
    Last edited by Titan121; 27 April 2012, 20:46. Reason: Typos!
    "Going against what someone wants you to do is not always disrespect, sometimes it is just self-preservation!" ...Jennifer O'

Re: Credit Card Company's Right of Set Off when Debt Has Been Sold

Please excuse the typos! Working with predictive text on a handheld!
    "Going against what someone wants you to do is not always disrespect, sometimes it is just self-preservation!" ...Jennifer O'

Comment

I am awaiting the outcome for something similar (but mine has only just started)

You are correct in what you say. IF your debt has been sold/assigned as per section 189 of the CCA 1974, which would include (as per many letters sent out when such happens) all rights and responsibilities.

As far as I can see, that would include the right to offset any refunds against the debt.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Have you had any correspondence from the DCA to say they've reduced the alleged debt by the amount BC claim to have off set? Would the off set amount still leave an amount outstanding?

How sure are you that the debt has been sold by absolute assignment and it's not just an equitable arrangement where the DCA is attempting to collect on behalf of BC? Who is the DCA?... and.... how old is this debt?

I think you need to decide whether you want to pursue the unenforceable route with the DCA (i.e. no CCA) or the charges route with BC here before we go any further..... as there seems to be two issues going on.
        Remember the mantra:
        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I received a letter from the assignee DCAS which contained a letter from BC stating they had sold the debt. It is also reflected on my CRA as well. The DCA when they couldn't comply with the CCA they wrote to me tell me they had closed the file!

When I first challeneged BC's right to offset the wrote to me saying that the assignee had confirmed the account was closed so I don't know what kind of kiss-me-ass mind game they are trying to pull here but I am not rolling over!

Comment

Who is the DCA?
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              I am awaiting the outcome for something similar (but mine has only just started)

You are correct in what you say. IF your debt has been sold/assigned as per section 189 of the CCA 1974, which would include (as per many letters sent out when such happens) all rights and responsibilities.

As far as I can see, that would include the right to offset any refunds against the debt.
              Well! Now I have some breathing space from other matters, BC want to play, let's play! Start your engines....!

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                Who is the DCA?
                Lowell

Comment

Strangely thats the first one that sprung to my mind

Comment

Is there still an amount outstanding minus this offset amount?.... or, has the offset amount cleared the amount outstanding (if Lowell's had it, that is).
                    Remember the mantra:

Comment

Who is the DCA?
                      Strangely thats the first one that sprung to my mind
                      They get around don't they!

Comment

Is there still an amount outstanding minus this offset amount?.... or, has the offset amount cleared the amount outstanding (if Lowell's had it, that is).
                        Erm, no. ... But that isn't the point as what they are harrassing me is not the true amount owing as it is comprised of unfair charges something BC damn well know! They haven't paid them anything I bet! They are trying to shaft Titan! They really shouldn't as I can play the "bust your balls game" just as good! Afterall they and their kind have shown me how! I have nothing to lose! Even if media types were too "scared" to take up the fight, social media is a wonderful thing and a few more weapons in my armoury won't hurt hence my question/post!

Comment

Originally posted by Titan121 View Post
                          Erm, no. ... But that isn't the point as what they are harrassing me is not the true amount owing as it is comprised of unfair charges something BC damn well know! They haven't paid them anything I bet! They are trying to shaft Titan! They really shouldn't as I can play the "bust your balls game" just as good! Afterall they and their kind have shown me how! I have nothing to lose! Even if media types were too "scared" to take up the fight, social media is a wonderful thing and a few more weapons in my armoury won't hurt hence my question/post!
                          With respect Titan, it is the point..... and it isn't a game.

What I'm tring to establish is whether you're acknowledging the debt or whether you're not acknowledging the debt because the way it's reading at the moment, you seem to be doing both.

You say that you were contacted by a DCA (Lowells) and sent the CCA request off. They didn't/couldn't produce and closed their files, so until such times as someone can produce such docs. the account remains unenforceable and you are not acknowledging it.

At the same time however, you are chasing BC to get unlawful charges back.... but if these charges were part of a debt, then you won't get them back... they will just reduce a debt balance down instead.

I doubt very much that a sum has been wired (as such) across to Lowells... In fact, I'm not sure anything has been sent to Lowells but even if it had, if you acknowledge it to Lowell's and there's still a debt outstanding minus this amount, then you're now acknowledging that debt.... which may be enough for them to issue court papers (and a subsequent headache for you), whether they have any paperwork or not.

Hope that makes sense....
                          Last edited by PriorityOne; 27 April 2012, 22:45.
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

but if these charges were part of a debt, then you won't get them back unless they wipe any alleged balance out; they will be used to reduce an outstanding balance instead.
                            Surely P1, as per my post above, if the account has been subject to absolute assignment to the DCA then BC have no rights in where the money goes??

However, I do agree with your interpretation regards acknowledgement.
                            Last edited by oscar; 27 April 2012, 22:54.

Comment

Surely P1, as per my post above, if the account has been subject to absolute assignment to the DCA then BC have no rights in where the money goes??

However, I do agree with your interpretation regards acknowledgement.
                              Yes..... I agree with you Oscar..... but it's a tricky one because of the acknowledgement issue (in my opinion). Titan can pursue it but I'm not sure it would be in his best interests to do so.

How much are we talking about?
                              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                              X