GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Lloyds and moorcroft - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lloyds and moorcroft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds and moorcroft

Hello all.

I am so asking for advice here.

The circumstances are so complicated it has taken me a few days to get my head around it.

I have asked for advice on another forum & I was advised to Report to OFT. Complain to FOS., but what do I put in each letter etc ?

My story is this (roughly)

In 2011 we got into serious financial difficulties,(mainly through bad luck and a horrible series of events)

I had a credit card with £11,200 which they cut down to £9,000, which meant I could not use it for food etc, so the money in the bank was being used to live off instead of paying the bill in full on time. My Husband earns @ £20K and £400 a month goes on LLoyds TSB loans.

I accept full responsibility for getting into debt and when I can get my head around it I'll apply for charges to be refunded.

The account was passed onto Moorcroft (debt just over £9K with charges & interest etc.

I wrote to them offering £10 a month until I can pay back more. I am & have been looking for employment and when those loans have been paid off, it the money can go towards the debt)

I have in writing a letter from Moorcroft accepting my offer saying it had to be paid by the 4th of each month.

I set up a standing Order for the 1st of each month & have never missed a payment since @June 2012.

Then I got a letter from Moorcroft saying i was in default. I checked my bank statement & clearly I wasn't as the the payments had been made. Then I got another letter asking me what I thought of their door step collection service, I ignored that too as i have never had a door stop collection.

A few months later ( @ November 2012) I get 2 letters, one from Lloyds and one from Robson Way telling me my account had been passed onto them. I wrote and told RW the account was in dispute and wrote and told Lloyds I was still paying Moorcroft as agreed and it was against the OFT guidelines to have 2 debt collectors trying to collect one debt.

With in a week I received an identical letter from Lloyds and a letter from Wescot.

Interstingly the statement of what I owed was only £10 less than it started, stating i had made only one £10 payment and a payment of £1 on 23rd August 2012 (That is a lie)

So I wrote to Wescot telling them the account was in dispute, I wrote to Moorcroft telling them that Lloyds do not seem to have any record of the payments I have made and I never made a payment for £1 in August. I asked them to send me a statement for the last 12 months asking them to reply with in 10 days. This was in May 2013 and I have not heard from them.

I wrote to Lloyds with a copy of my agreement with Moorcroft and the letter I had sent & told them 3 debt collection agencies was out of order. I had in the mean time paid £10 and have got copies of all statements from both my bank and credit card & I am absolutely right that the £10 SO has been paid to Moorcroft every month.

Nothing more was heard until Saturday just gone when I got a frantic phone call from my heavily pregnant daughter who lives 50 miles away.

She had received a letter from Lloyds to me which she inadvertedly opened at her boyfriends parents address asking for £9,000. She was severely distressed. Her boyfriends parents (whom I have yet to meet) wanted to know what was wrong and went ballistic at having my debts turn up at their door. I can't blame them.

Why write to my daughter ? why embarrass me to the point I will never be able to meet my grandchilds other grandparents. Since then I have have nightmares & digestive troubles ( I am a nervy sort of person)

So what do I put in my letters ? Do I send copies of the letters I have sent ? What do I complain about ? (apart from the obvious) Can I complain about the 3 debt collections, and the growing cost of all the correspondence I have had to make ( paper ink, envelopes, stamps and time) . And is Moorcroft part of the same complaint ? Are they not obliged to send me a statement ? And Lloyds KNOW I have been paying Moorcroft because the payments come out of my Lloyds bank account.

Sorry that my first post is so long, but any help will be so much appreciated.

Jojo

Re: Lloysa and moorcroft

Hi welcome to AAD. Elsa is also lurking, so I will wait to see her advice before I say anything as Elsa's knowledge and experience is greater than mine! Trust the help that you receive here and try not to panic or worry, it is only money and they have made some serious errors that will help you.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Jojo,
      What year was the credit card taken out? Have they now defaulted and terminated it so that interest has stopped?

I'm concerned that you have all your eggs in one basket with Lloyds..loans, credit card and current account, is that correct?

Do Lloyds still actually own the debt?
      I would think that the way to go with Moorcroft is to send them a formal Subject Access Request (costing £10) for a copy of all the data they hold on you. If they don't respond in 40 days you can complain to the Information Commissioner.

The random £1 payment...did you perchance send off a CCA Request (for a copy of the agreement) round about that time?

Not sure why they'd write to your daughter, does she have the same name? It's a definite no no though and cause for complaint.
      Regarding your future inlaws reaction, I'm so saddened by that. There's no guilt or shame attached to being in debt...or there shouldn't be. It can happen to the best of us if our circumstances change, and clearly you've struggled to sort this out despite the bad treatment you've received from the bank. This is what they do, treat people badly just when they need the most help and that's why this forum exists.

Comment

LOL I've done lurking Cym...wouldn't say I know more than you though

Link to Subject Access Request Template: http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/old/...vanced-request

Comment

Thank you both for your quick replies and kind words.

I am trying not to worry and failing fast LOL !

Yes I have all my eggs together. CC, C/A, Loans, house insurance, life insurance. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

No that £1 payment was never made by me. Not through my bank account and not via a postal order as I had no need to question the account.

I know this sounds melodramatic but it feels as if Moorcroft are lying to get them selves off the hook. The long and the short of it is it will take about 78 years to pay back at £10 a month, but the reality is, when our loans are paid off, we can increase the payments emmensly and at some point I will inherit a decent amount ( sadly and I hope that day is a long way away). I fully intend to pay this debt off in full ASAP but i just need time.

Yes my daughter has the same Surname as me but moved away about 2 years ago. She would have informed the bank of her change of address.

However the bank still sends letters etc to this address so they know I still live here.

Thanks for the template. I will send a copy to Moorcroft. Can you believe my luck, my printer has gone wonky LOL, so it may not be until tomorrow if i can fix it.

Thank you again both for your support and kind words,

Jojo

Comment

Yes DCAs do lie! Never speak to them on the phone and make a note of when they contact you in case there are grounds for harassment.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

A DCA that doesnt lie. Not possible its in their DNA.

You will find great advice here, not seen a problem yet they dont seem to have an answer for.

Would suggest you are going to be looking for a new bank account pretty sharpish.

Good luck.

Comment

That's what I'd do Ken. (To prevent them using right of set off Jojo, ie taking payments from your current account without permission).
                A bank account at a completely different bank to whoever you owe money to is always the safest bet.

What year was the card taken out Jojo?

Comment

Working...
                X