GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script ITN looking for people with debt stories for a TV discussion - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ITN looking for people with debt stories for a TV discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITN looking for people with debt stories for a TV discussion

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a studio audience for a live Channel 5 TV discussion about the state of personal debt in the UK.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's got anything to say about any type of debt.
    The studio audience will be comprised of people who have past and present debt issues, representatives from debt advice charities and services, loans agencies and monitoring bodies.

It will take place on the evening of Monday 17th March in London.

If you have anything you want to say to me then please email me: ben.miller@itn.co.uk

Thanks a lot!
    p.s. we can sort out expenses.

Re: ITN looking for people with debt stories for a TV discussion

Did you asked permission from Site Admin before posting this ?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Approved.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

This is more likely to be suited to LB as they are needy of both users and press coverage.

Good Luck Ben.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          This is more likely to be suited to LB as they are needy of both users and press coverage.

Good Luck Ben.
          Thank you!
          Everyone else - get in touch!

Comment

Morning all –

I haven’t had the response I was hoping for on the above.

I just want to reiterate that nobody who comes along will be obliged to speak, and NO personal information has to be given. In short, you can remain completely anonymous if you please. We just want people relevant to the topic to be in the studio, and you will not be required to reveal your story in any way.

Please get in touch if you want to get involved.

Once again, ben.miller@itn.co.uk

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by BenITN View Post
              Morning all –

I haven’t had the response I was hoping for on the above.

I just want to reiterate that nobody who comes along will be obliged to speak, and NO personal information has to be given. In short, you can remain completely anonymous if you please. We just want people relevant to the topic to be in the studio, and you will not be required to reveal your story in any way.

Please get in touch if you want to get involved.

Once again, ben.miller@itn.co.uk

Ben - just a thought and one perhaps that may be the reason you are not getting the level of response you are hoping for.

You are seeking people who have debt issues (except those with historical issues). Consequently these are typically people who are living close to the breadline, scraping by month to month with little spare cash.

Theres still a large population that live outside 'The City'!

Yet you are asking those people to not only give up their personal time, but the huge expense of traveling to London (petrol, congestion charge?,cost parking, or the cost of a train ticket (£98 return for me not including the tube) etc). Not to mention the fact that most would have to take at least half a day off work to get to London with the resulting loss in wages that those in debt can ill afford.

Only my opinion but personally I'd suggest thats why you've had no response.

SnV
              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                Ben - just a thought and one perhaps that may be the reason you are not getting the level of response you are hoping for.

You are seeking people who have debt issues (except those with historical issues). Consequently these are typically people who are living close to the breadline, scraping by month to month with little spare cash.

Theres still a large population that live outside 'The City'!

Yet you are asking those people to not only give up their personal time, but the huge expense of traveling to London (petrol, congestion charge?,cost parking, or the cost of a train ticket (£98 return for me not including the tube) etc). Not to mention the fact that most would have to take at least half a day off work to get to London with the resulting loss in wages that those in debt can ill afford.

Only my opinion but personally I'd suggest thats why you've had no response.

SnV
                Hi -

Thanks for your input. I agree it would be tricky for people living a long way from London, but just to clarify:

1) Expenses WILL be covered by us (as I said in the first post)
                2) We can also pay for overnight stays
                3) People do not have to be in current debt - can be anyone with debt problems in the past OR people with opinions on loans companies/the state of personal debt in the UK

So get in touch!
                Thanks

Comment

How'd about us sending an AAD Representative to have a full frank discussion with other panelists so they can hear our point of view of where things go wrong and to better assist debtors needs etc....?

Niddy

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    How'd about us sending an AAD Representative to have a full frank discussion with other panelists so they can hear our point of view of where things go wrong and to better assist debtors needs etc....?

Niddy
                    Could do. Please email me with phone number and I'll call you

Comment

I'll not be available till after 8pm. So if easier I'll call you? Please PM or mail me a contact number; assuming you work that late..?

My number is 0844 6600 575

Comment

Think another problem will be the social stigma still attached to debt not helped by the establishment.

Just have to look at some of the less informed forums about and how they hound debtors. Its not something alot of people want to chat about over tea and biscuits let alone be thrust in the media spotlight with the chance of being recognised by your mates.

Your might go into work and say you have tickets for x factor live or dancing on ice or question time. I doubt you would go into work and brag about being on a debt program however well meaning it might be.

Forums give the anonymity people need to discuss this rather taboo subject.

Comment

True - but they can be there simply as a person who has a view about debt and the issues surrounding it, whether that be advice for viewers or criticism of lenders.

The fact that they may or may not have/have had debt problems personally is irrelevant and doesn't even need to be suggested, let alone mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by BenITN View Post
                            Hi -

Thanks for your input. I agree it would be tricky for people living a long way from London, but just to clarify:

1) Expenses WILL be covered by us (as I said in the first post)
                            2) We can also pay for overnight stays
                            3) People do not have to be in current debt - can be anyone with debt problems in the past OR people with opinions on loans companies/the state of personal debt in the UK
                            Thanks for the clarification Ben. You have missed the point slightly, which is unless you are paying expenses up front then its still likely that people will be able to afford to make that trip. Its all about cashflow, so its not helpful getting your expenses paid if you cannot afford to eat for 4 weeks until they are.

Make sense?
                            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                              Thanks for the clarification Ben. You have missed the point slightly, which is unless you are paying expenses up front then its still likely that people will be able to afford to make that trip. Its all about cashflow, so its not helpful getting your expenses paid if you cannot afford to eat for 4 weeks until they are.

Make sense?
                              It does. I should have made it clear that we pay for peoples' train tickets/cabs IN ADVANCE so they don't actually have to part with any money.

People reading this please get in touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X