GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Halifax debt dispute - what next - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halifax debt dispute - what next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax debt dispute - what next

Hi

Hoping for some advice on the next step to follow.

Through a SAR request for another issue, I discovered that my Halifax credit card had PPI on it from when opened in 1995 to end 2001. I had put forward a missold PPI refund claim which Halifax instantly dismissed without proper investigation. That claim has now been referred to the FOS.

During my questioning the Halifax's PPI claim rejection decision I'd asked them to provide details of the sales documents and policy documents which they'd said they'd referred with to in order to reach their decision to reject the PPI claim. At this point Halifax replied back saying they no longer had the sales documentation to provide.

As the PPI claim amount exceeds the current debt balance I've stopped making payments and will not do so until the outcome of the FOS' investigation into my PPI complaint.

I had wanted to write to Halifax to inform them that I considered the account to be in dispute as the balance wouldn't be what it is had the PPI not been there. However I was advised by another site that I should first put in a CCA request before issuing an account in dispute letter depending on the outcome of the CCA request.

In response to my CCA request, Halifax have sent back the following 3 documents with a cover letter:
    A dark copy of a single page signed application form, where one can't read the printed text.
    A 9 page document titled "Credit Card Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974"
    An 11 page document titled "Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Halifax Visa Conditions"

The cover letter that came with the above documents states they have provided a "reconstituted version fo the executed agreement comprissing both the original and current terms and condidtions". It also states the reconstructed copies "complies with the requirements of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983" and they "are not required to produce a copy with your signature on it".

I've gone through both agreement documents and they are clearly not the terms and conditions that were in place in 1995 when the account was opened.

I'm a bit unsure as to which letter to send to the creditor next. Is it best to send the "Missing Prescribed Terms" letter, or the "Illegible Document Received" letter, or a combination of both?

Btw the account went into default in 2010 during a period of unemployment. That was the 2nd round of unemployment after 18 months of contract work. So hadn't had enough time to get savings level back up having depleting it keeping up card repayments in the 1st round of unemployment.

Also another thing is that the default notice letter wasn't provided in either the SAR or CCA Request, and the default was applied whilst I still had a pro-rata repayment agreement with them.

Thanks

Re: Halifax debt dispute - what next

Hi and welcome ....

What the balance ?

And you say the PPI claim amount exceeds the current debt balance, what are you expecting ?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Rather -

1. what at is the balance outstanding?
      2. What amount of ppi do you estimate being owed (inc interest)?
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
        Hi and welcome ....

What the balance ?

And you say the PPI claim amount exceeds the current debt balance, what are you expecting ?
        The card balance is £2k
        The total monthly PPI paid was £1068 between 1995 and 2001. Depending on the redress calculation tables used, the redress amount varies from £2816 to a staggering £50k depending on the interest rate one uses for the Compound interest calculation.

I've gone for the more realistic redress amount of £2816, although no actual claim amount was actually entered on my PPI complaint questionnaire form.

Comment

Let me get this straight - you've already went to the FOS? If so then the reclaim is a separate issue; if you argue UE and reclaim they'll offset regardless so you're best to await the FOS decision and in the interim try and negotiate a F&F settlement over the balance.

So really best option for you would be to await FOS outcome and then let us know and from that we'll clarify best options for dealing with and negotiating the debt settlement.

the plan is to time it right so you get told the decision and if it's in your favour you then haggle the bank for a lower F&F and then when they come to offset you've already saved the difference as the balance will be reduced in preparation for the F&F payment.

Make sense?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

The FOS said the outcome on the PPI claim is likely to take 18 months due to the volume of claims they are investigating.

I didn't want Halifax having their Debt collectors harrassing me in the meantime, hence why I had thought of letting them know that I believe the account to be in dispute until the FOS' PPI investigation is concluded.

If I sit tight and continue to withold payment towards the debt, are Halifax likely to take legal action to get me to settle balance? I guess that's my ultimate worry.

Comment

18 months? Sod that lets try hbos again.

Can you send me a copy of your ppi reclaim letter and their rejection response please? In the meantime sit tight....

webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I had initially sent in a completed FOS PPI Consumer Questionnaire sheet which was provided on the PPI complaint page on Halifax website. Ok to send this instead?

I'd also written a "reconsider your rejection" letter stating why I disagreed with their decision, which they also dismissed. Will send that too

Comment

Originally posted by Yoyo29 View Post
                  I had initially sent in a completed FOS PPI Consumer Questionnaire sheet which was provided on the PPI complaint page on Halifax website. Ok to send this instead?

I'd also written a "reconsider your rejection" letter stating why I disagreed with their decision, which they also dismissed. Will send that too
                  excellent, I just need to see what you've said so far (and their replies) so I can figure out another way of getting at HBOS directly..... speed things up somewhat & stop any harassment

Comment

Just sent the docs.

Thanks for helping.

Comment

Ok bear with me. I'll sort you something to put hbos in a bit of a pickle

Comment

Thanks Niddy. Your help so far has been more than expected. Much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Niddy

Just wanted to post an update.

FOS upheld my PPI claim. However Halifax still haven't responded to either me or the FOS and have ignored the FOS's response deadline to either accept or refute the decision.

Halifax have instead passed the account onto another DCA. As usual Halifax didn't to let me know the account had been passed onto another DCA. Instead the newDCA had mocked up a notice of assignment letter supposedly to be from the Halifax to me but mailed it in an envelope which is identical to the DCA's own standard business envelope. Both new DCA's chasing letter and the "Halifax's "alleged" notice of assignment letter were sat in my letterbox on same day. I'd first thought they were duplicate letters because had same barcode marking and black & white scan square icon were visible through the envelope window.

A letter was quickly sent to new DCA telling them that the account was in dispute and asking them to pass the account back to the original creditor. In the meantime DCA sent a 2nd letter, this time threaten to pass the account to solicitors within 10 days if payment is not received.

Now I'm guessing this is all talk because Halifax did not fully complied with my CCA request, so can't attempt to start legal proceeding, right?.

Beside the value of my PPI redress far outweighs the £2k debt. Having plugged all my card statement details and PPI payments into a redress spreadsheet which reconstructs my card account without the mis-sold PPI, it turns out the real account balance is actaully £6.3k in credit (i.e. £6.3koverpaid). Add to this the £1.1k mis-sold PPI, £2.9k interest paid on the PPI, and the £4.4k cumulative compound interest on interest, and we're looking at around £14.7k owed to me by the Halifax! And they've the cheek to try and get a further £2k off from me!

Should I bother writing to the new DCA and spell out to them the two main reasons that the debt amount they are chasing is disputed?

Comment

Hiya

You need to notify the FOS adjudicator (use email) what the bank is doing as they can stop it dead, they will threaten the bank to cease all collection activity especially if the refund negates the debt value... so you must contact the adjudicator that found in your favour and tell them the same as you told us above

Well done on the victory mind you

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              Hiya

You need to notify the FOS adjudicator (use email) what the bank is doing as they can stop it dead, they will threaten the bank to cease all collection activity especially if the refund negates the debt value... so you must contact the adjudicator that found in your favour and tell them the same as you told us above

Well done on the victory mind you
                              Thanks Niddy. Will email the FOS adjudicator of such. I hadn't even considered that. Was just going to sit tight and wait for the FOS to let me know their next step regards the PPI claim.

Once again, you've given that extra insight into the situation. Gushing thanks to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X