GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Halifax/1st Credit Default - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halifax/1st Credit Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax/1st Credit Default

Hello, hope you can help me. This is going to be a long one so I am sorry...

I had a Halifax current account which started in October 2008 with an overdraft facility. I started university in March 2009 and in August 2009 due to personal troubles, I had to move out quickly and move in to halls of residence. I went into the branch and changed my address. When I didn't get any statements I phoned Halifax and they said the address had not been changed and to write in. I still have copies of these letters that I wrote to them.

When checking my credit file, in April 2011 I noticed that they had placed a default. By this time I had left university and qualified but as there were cuts in healthcare, I didn't have a job. I knew that the large amount of the debt would have been charges so I wrote to them asking for them to refund charges and also remove the default due to financial difficulties as I had just left uni and had no job. I didn't hear anything again.

All of the letters I have wrote to them always had my current address on there. In August 2012, I decided to write to them again with the letters I had sent previously and still nothing.

In November 2012 I start to get letters from 1st Credit at my current address stating they have bought the debt and demanding money. I was angry so rang up Halifax (and definitely didn't want to talk to any DCA) who finally put me through to the chap that is dealing with my complaint. He said he had replied to my letter in August 2012 but had sent it to my old address. Halifax have never changed my address. My new address was on the letter I wrote to him in August and on every other correspondence that I have sent them but they have been sending letters to an address that I can't visit to pick up mail due to personal reasons. This has been explained to them throughout the 3 or so years but they've not bothered to change the address.

He said in the letter he was willing to refund all charges from September 2009 as that was the last time the account was used properly. He has now bought the debt back put the refund of charges on and given the debt back to 1st credit. I have spoken to him on the phone and he said he won't remove the default as it is accurate.

So now I have to wait for 1st Credit to send me an amended bill with refunds deducted.. but after looking at my credit file this morning : there are 2 defaults for this debt, one from Halifax and one from 1st credit.

I'm just angry they never changed my address firstly, and continued to never write to me but as soon as 1st credit get the debt, I get the letters sent to my actual address!! Any advice on getting these defaults removed would be great.

Thank you in advance. (sorry for the long post)

Re: Halifax/1st Credit Default

It would be difficult to get both defaults emoved, but there should only be one - from Lowells.

The halifax one should have been removed when Lowells added theirs (or updated the Halifax one).

I would contact the CRAs pointing out that the information is incorrect.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you for your reply

I have been in touch with the CRA's but they have advised that they cannot do anything without the lender's consent so I have to go to them directly.
      I haven't called 1st Credit as I really don't want to talk to them over the phone. But when I spoke to my complaint handler at Halifax, he said both would have to stay and the halifax one will show as settled and the other with 1st Credit as a default. I've checked my credit file and they are both still default. doy uo think I should wait and see if it is updated and if so how long does it usually take/

Comment

No the CRA's should resolve this as the common practice is that the settled entry will be the OC's and the live default will be that in favour of the DCA.

However, if there are two defaults showing the whole first entry must be removed. You can only have one default. This is easy for the CRA to remedy.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Okay, thanks for the reply. They are both showing as defaulted. So just write back to the CRA's and ask them to remove the Halifax one?

Comment

Originally posted by zen View Post
            Okay, thanks for the reply. They are both showing as defaulted. So just write back to the CRA's and ask them to remove the Halifax one?
            What you do is something like this...
            "as you know, an account may only be defaulted once and the fact remains that the original default needs to be absorbed into the replacement one by the new debt owner. I am not disputing that one default should remain, however this should be the same details as in the original entry dated xx/xx/xxxx with the name of the default being changed to reflect the new debt purchasers details. The new owner cannot just go and re-default me thus leaving two defaults against me for one account.

I formally demand that the duplicate entry is removed without delay. Failure to remove the erroneous duplicate will result in an immediate complaint against both you, the CRA and those that placed the illegal entry on my file"

That ought to about do it
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

That's brilliant! Thank you, will send that across straight away.

Comment

Hey, sorry to myther you all again.. I've just had a response from the 3rd party? I wrote to equifax as instructed above.

I've not had the response emailed to me yet but just noticed in the "ask questions" section of their online system that is says: Customer needs to contact customer servies with full details of dispute.

It doesn't say whether Halifax have responded or 1st Credit. Any advice please on what to do here?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Ask a question and see what is happening, ie chase it up

Comment

Will do, thank you.

Comment

Hey, it's me again!! I've not had a response back from the credit reference agencies but have noticed a change on both the reports with equifax and experian.

The Halifax is showing as a default still but as satisfied and the 1st credit is still on there too as a default..

Is this the correct procedure.. I can have 2 defaults for the same account but the default with the original creditor showing as satisfied?

Not sure if from what I've asked the cra to do this has now been resolved. It's just I thought one would disappear completely?! Sorry if this is a dumb question.
                      Thank you

Comment

Hi, I thought I'd give you a bit of an update, for others in the same situation.
                        Experian and Equifax have said that Halifax is now showing as satisfied and the 1st credit default is now outstanding. I am the only one (apparently) that can see the Halifax entry and potential lenders won't see it.
                        I'd love to be able to request my file which shows what the lenders see and how different that is to what I see.
                        Anyway, I thought I'd update and thank you all for your advice that you gave me

Comment

Hi

What you've asked them to do is correct, the satisfied entry from the OC will not be visible by lenders hence the only entry that is viewable is the 1st Credit entry.

Comment

Thanks Never-In-Doubt. I really do appreciate your advice. This default was just one of the issues I have had. Reading through people's diaries has helped me sort out my other debts that I've foolishly been burying my head in the sand and trying to ignore for a long time.
                            Your site is fantastic and I am very glad I have stumbled across it as it has been a life saver, that sounds dramatic but it is the truth. I don't post much and I am more of a lurker as most of your threads tend to give me the answers I need.
                            Just wanted to say thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X