GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script DCA Threatening Court Action in 7 days - Advice Please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA Threatening Court Action in 7 days - Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA Threatening Court Action in 7 days - Advice Please

Hi All

Just when you think you're getting there another surprise appears from the woodwork!

My wife received the attached letter yesterday. I have been responding to it (see email trail below) but wouldn't mind some feedback, further insight etc on my approach.

Thanks in advance

SnV

So after receiving that letter this is the email sent to the DCA:

Dear Mr DCA

Thank you for your letter regards an alleged debt with xxxx.

Please note that I conduct all communication in writing (email is not acceptable) and the unprofessional letter you have sent does not even state a postal address to which correspondance can be sent and request that you provide such.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to xxxx and request that you provide evidence of this debt and also proof that you are acting on their behalf as we have had no such notice or communication from them.

Please note I am very familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is:

"Unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question", and also states that it is

"Unfair to falsely imply or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally cannot, for example, referring to bankruptcy or sequestration proceedings when the balance is too low to qualify for such proceedings"

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical & psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed.

Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

DCA's response:

Hi, When will you be making payment ?

My response:

Dear DCA

As per my email below I have no knowledge of any debt owing to 'xxxx' and so consequently will be making no payment of any sort until such a debt is proven.

If you are a legitimate company I would respectfully ask you to consider things from my perspective:

1) I have no knowledge of any debt owing to 'xxxx' and have not received any correspondance/invoices/bills from them

2) The first time I am made aware of this 'debt' is via letter from you

3) This letter is poorly printed on unheaded A4 paper of poor quality

4) This letter contains no postal address but only a website (which can be easily set up) and a mobile telephone number to contact you on

At best this looks like some sort of internet scam.

If you are a legitimate company then you should have no difficulty in agreeing to my reasonable request and provide a postal address to send correspondance and provide proof of the alleged debt.

Should this then be proven to be an error or oversight on my part then, and only then, will I discuss making a payment.

If you continue to pursue this matter without agreeing to my reasonable request then I will as stated below report this matter to the Office of Fair Trading and Trading Standards and even consider reporting this to the police as an act of fraud.

Yours faithfully

DCA's response:

Dear Mr SaltnVinegar,

Re the points you have raised

a)The debt as you know full well, relates to xxxx a pregnant cat that was brought in and a ceasarian was performed.

b) Its not the first time you have been made of this messages have been left for you and bills sent

c) The letter was sent on standard paper but this Is irrelevant anyway !.

d) The website contains both landline and mobile numbers. You obviously have xxxx address as you found your way there.

e) Its obviously not an internet scam as a letter was sent and you have visited us internet contact was made by you to us not vice versa.

f) Proof of the debt has now been provided and you have the address as xxxx (vets address)

If Payment of the ?305.00 is not made within the remaining time a county court claim will be issued and the appropriate enforcement route taken upon obtaining judgement.

We are a reputable company and work closely within legal frameworks

My response:

Dear Mr DCA

If you are a legitimate and reputable company acting on behalf of a client, your refusal to provide your company postal address is completely unreasonable.

It is your company that is threatening action on behalf of your client, and consequently any written correspondance should go through you.

As already stated - I have received no bills or other messages on this matter, your letter is the first time I have heard of this alleged debt and I would request that you provide evidence of these bills and when messages 'were left'.

Your letter, which as you should know threatens enforcement routes some of which are not legally possible, ONLY contains a website address, email address and mobile phone number to contact you.

With the proliferation of identity scams I would be foolish to ring a mobile telephone number I have no knowledge of and discuss personal matters, and so have no other choice but initiate contact via this email address.

Your assertion that this is obviously not an internet scam because I have had to initiate contact via email is incorrect. Scammers frequently send emails, or letters, with content which is intented to initiate a response and contact.

It is not unreasonable to ask you to provide proof that a debt exists, and your email below, does not constitute proof.

I will repeat my reasonable request that at the very least, you, or your client, provide a bill or invoice as evidence a debt exists. Should such a debt exist then I will discuss payment at that point.

If you are a reputable company, and issue a county court claim, you will have to provide evidence that a debt exists.

Your refusal to provide such evidence to me that a debt exists, despite my reasonable request, and the opportunity to then remedy the matter, and your initial letter (and its contents) would then be brought to the courts attention.

I trust that this won't be necessary by the simple action on your part of providing a bill or invoice and consequently proof of such debt.

Regards

DCA's response:

Dear sir/madam

I see once again you are discussing everything here apart from the central issue ?that money is owed.

A bill has been provided to you and copies sent. And ?chasing phone calls made.

Court action will be initiated on non payment and if you read the letter properly you will see it says enforcement MAY occur .

The appropriate route will be taken depending on your circumstances.

End of correspondence

And my response to this:

Dear Mr DCA

Your statement is untrue, I have stated clearly that if you provide a bill or invoice that proves money is owed I will discuss payment.

I will repeat - I have received no bills or invoices and if chasing phone calls have been made you should be able to provide evidence as to that date/time these were made. In 5 emails you have not been able to produce any evidence of debt (you cannot it would seem even scan a copy of a bill or invoice which you should be in possession of if a debt exists).

Without such your letter/emails amount to demanding money with menaces and I consider your behaviour harrassment.

You have done nothing to establish either:

a) I am the debtor in question
    b) Provide proof that money is owed

Both of which, as you should be aware, put you in breach of the OFT guidelines on Fair Business Practices on Debt Collection. As does stating that enforcement MAY occur when it simply cannot.

As I have already stated should you initiate Court Action this will be vigourously defended due to your refusal to prove a debt exists. Your inital letter and these emails will be submitted as evidence that you have refused to respond to this reasonable request.

You can avoid this action by simply providing either a bill or invoice as proof of a debt.

Regards
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: DCA Threatening Court Action in 7 days - Advice Please

who is the dca? please name them....

and why the hell are they telling you to ring a mobile number.....? Ermmm, me thinks not!!!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

p.s. don't worry, as they are being evasive about their identity you'll get any action set-aside/struck-out.

more on this later, in the meantime please tell me the DCA name.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by never-in-doubt
        who is the dca? please name them....

and why the hell are they telling you to ring a mobile number.....? Ermmm, me thinks not!!!
        Hi Never-In-Doubt

Thanks for taking the time to read through the post, I know it was a marathon! ;LOL

The DCA are called Total Credit Management (http://www.totalcreditmanagement.co.uk is the address on the letter and emails). They have told me the name and postal address of their client but not their own.

No I wasn't going to call a mobile phone number either!!

I suspect it is a one man and his pet parrot operation working from his bedroom as he keeps putting the initials MICM after his name.

As it happens I have already spoken to the PA to the CEO of the Institute of Credit Management and raised a formal complaint as I believe his conduct is a breach of their 'Code of Professional Conduct' not that I expect anything to happen on that front.

I haven't approached the OFT or TS yet but intend to.

Whats your thoughts?

SnV
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hiya

I agree with your plans, he can take no formal action as he MUST declare his details, as such defend it and win lol.

Complain to MoJ/OFT/TS - the lot. Also complain to the OC about his conduct and that he is a representative of theirs, ergo they are ultimately responsible for HIS conduct (or lack of)..... basically he cannot (nor can any company) withold their details....

Comment

I've emailed Clive @ and formally told him to disclose his business credentials in line with current legislation.

Lets see what he says to me, I have linked him to the website but not this thread so don't worry.... anyway, I wanna know who the hell he is.

There are 3 companies trading with that name - however a whois search brings this (as below). The giveaway is his phone number which is 01993 (Oxford):

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/order?action=w ... ment.co.uk

Registrant:
            matt lloyd

Registrant type:
            Unknown

Registrant's address:
            Amber Lea
            Bell Lane
            Cassington
            Oxford
            OX29 4DS

Note the name is Matt Lloyd - hmmm, funny how on the site it is all "clive"...?

I'll do some digging, I do hope he comes to check this out lol.... he'll then realise who exactly he's messing with.... ;F-

He isn't that big cos he is using a free hosting company (even we pay for hosting on this forum)! His nameservers are provided by heartinternet (http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/) which is a reseller hosting company ;LOL

Me thinks it may be a one man band trying his luck, I say formally report him to the governing bodies and let them deal with him.....

Comment

Hi Never in Doubt

Thanks for replying again.

The DCA has provided the details of their client does this make any difference?

I thought as it was the DCA sending out the court threats it is they that need to defend (unless they are 'advising' their client) and hence provide an address?

I have to admit I find it amusing that the DCA are hiding behind their client. Does reinforce the image that this is a one man band and his address would actually be his house and so he's afraid of 'reprisals'

SnV

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar
                I suspect it is a one man and his pet parrot operation working from his bedroom as he keeps putting the initials MICM after his name.
                That only means he's a Member of the Institute of Credit Management... nothing big there. So what is the name of the guy you're dealing with, lets do a comanies house webcheck on him...?

Comment

Hi Never in Doubt

Thanks for replying again.

The DCA has provided the details of their client does this make any difference?

I thought as it was the DCA sending out the court threats it is they that need to defend (unless they are 'advising' their client) and hence provide an address?

I have to admit I find it amusing that the DCA are hiding behind their client. Does reinforce the image that this is a one man band and his address would actually be his house and so he's afraid of 'reprisals'

SnV

who is the client? You realise as they have appointed him they are liable for his actions - totally. if he is being ecasive then he is in breach of any licence he may have been issued so you need to formally complain to the governing bodies and get him struck the hell off their register - if he ever exists on there?

Please name and shame the client? Don't worry, there is no reprisals for factual info on a forum - I can name and shame whoever I like so long as they are facts, so even if the guy from the DCA reads this it is tough - he will realise he's not dealing with muppets. Ive also blocked their email address from joining.

Comment

Actually, I would not have engaged in any correspondence beyond an initial 'prove it' letter other than:

[size=5]I have received <item> from you, threatening legal action in respect of an alleged debt within 7 days. On the details provided, I am unable to agree the debt Please provide a postal address for correspondence, so that this matter may be addressed in a formal manner.

And I would have left it at that. If they came back with any blarney short of a proper postal address, I would have sent the above again. And again.

I know nothing of courts, but if they had initiated a court case, I have a strong feeling you would be able to produce the correspondence and state that you had made attempts to initiate a correspondence to resolve the matter and ask the court to stay proceedings until the other party had corresponded.

I do remember a dispute I had with a large company, where they persistently failed to itemise their bills and I received a very snotty refusal to itemise. So I wrote back and said I would deal with their problem once they produced an itemisation. Next came a proforma letter from the Company Solicitor, threatening court. I wrote back and said I was still awaiting an itemisation - and if they were minded to take me to court, I would expect them to stick purely with their bill as rendered and not produce an itemisation purely for the court.

Well, nothing happened for a few weeks - and suddenly I got 2 letters of apology. Firstly from the department which had refused an itemisation - which now included an itemisation. And secondly from the company solicitor, stating that he was arranging an itemisation.

No doubt it had got to the stage that the solicitor was reviewing the papers to take it to court - and he became very reluctant to do so without having dealt properly with reasonable requests for information before involving the courts.

Now, SnV, your case is not directly comparable, but it looks to me like you are trying to resolve the correctly - which is comparable. But it looks like you are dealing with an amateur, who may well decide that you are just the kind of person he would like to crush in court. So don't be surprised if it does go that way. Just make sure you are trying to resolve it on the information they are giving. In essence, they cannot really use evidence in court, which you have asked for and which they have refused to give you. If that happens, you should be doing something like asking for the evidence to be ruled inadmissible or for the case to be adjourned or dismissed.
                    No longer a mod.

Comment

Hi Never in Doubt

Thanks for the help on this. I did do a search on Companies House but didn't think to check DNS records.

It will be interesting to see what gets unearthed.

The client is a vets near Oxford. We have used them a couple of times but not for several years and have had no bills or invoices from them and then we get this out of the blue!

I am going to make complaints with the OFT and TS tomorrow once I've filled out the complaints forms and see what they do with it.

If Clive (Or Matt!) have decided this is a good business to get into he needs to change his conduct!

Thanks again

SnV

Comment

Originally posted by never-in-doubt
                        I've emailed Clive @ and formally told him to disclose his business credentials in line with current legislation.

Lets see what he says to me, I have linked him to the website but not this thread so don't worry.... anyway, I wanna know who the hell he is.

There are 3 companies trading with that name - however a whois search brings this (as below). The giveaway is his phone number which is 01993 (Oxford):

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/order?actio...nagement.co.uk

Registrant:
                        matt lloyd

Registrant type:
                        Unknown

Registrant's address:
                        Amber Lea
                        Bell Lane
                        Cassington
                        Oxford
                        OX29 4DS

Note the name is Matt Lloyd - hmmm, funny how on the site it is all "clive"...?

I'll do some digging, I do hope he comes to check this out lol.... he'll then realise who exactly he's messing with.... ;F-

He isn't that big cos he is using a free hosting company (even we pay for hosting on this forum)! His nameservers are provided by heartinternet (http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/) which is a reseller hosting company ;LOL

Me thinks it may be a one man band trying his luck, I say formally report him to the governing bodies and let them deal with him.....
                        Web site design for www.totalcreditmanagement.co.uk appears to come from a company called Genero who seem to be Oxfordshire based. Sometimes web designers keep their clients and their websites over a barrel
                        No longer a mod.

Comment

Hi DVardysShadow

Thats really useful thank you.

If this company provide an invoice or bill that proves I owe a debt I am happy to pay for it.

However I'm not going to part with £300 without even seeing a bill/invoice/balance of account by calling a mobile phone number provided to me on a tatty bit of A4 that looks like one of my kids printed it (and they would have done a better job!)

I would hope that a court would see the same.

SnV

Originally posted by DVardysShadow
                          Actually, I would not have engaged in any correspondence beyond an initial 'prove it' letter other than:

[size=5]I have received <item> from you, threatening legal action in respect of an alleged debt within 7 days. On the details provided, I am unable to agree the debt Please provide a postal address for correspondence, so that this matter may be addressed in a formal manner.

And I would have left it at that. If they came back with any blarney short of a proper postal address, I would have sent the above again. And again.

I know nothing of courts, but if they had initiated a court case, I have a strong feeling you would be able to produce the correspondence and state that you had made attempts to initiate a correspondence to resolve the matter and ask the court to stay proceedings until the other party had corresponded.

I do remember a dispute I had with a large company, where they persistently failed to itemise their bills and I received a very snotty refusal to itemise. So I wrote back and said I would deal with their problem once they produced an itemisation. Next came a proforma letter from the Company Solicitor, threatening court. I wrote back and said I was still awaiting an itemisation - and if they were minded to take me to court, I would expect them to stick purely with their bill as rendered and not produce an itemisation purely for the court.

Well, nothing happened for a few weeks - and suddenly I got 2 letters of apology. Firstly from the department which had refused an itemisation - which now included an itemisation. And secondly from the company solicitor, stating that he was arranging an itemisation.

No doubt it had got to the stage that the solicitor was reviewing the papers to take it to court - and he became very reluctant to do so without having dealt properly with reasonable requests for information before involving the courts.

Now, SnV, your case is not directly comparable, but it looks to me like you are trying to resolve the correctly - which is comparable. But it looks like you are dealing with an amateur, who may well decide that you are just the kind of person he would like to crush in court. So don't be surprised if it does go that way. Just make sure you are trying to resolve it on the information they are giving. In essence, they cannot really use evidence in court, which you have asked for and which they have refused to give you. If that happens, you should be doing something like asking for the evidence to be ruled inadmissible or for the case to be adjourned or dismissed.

Comment

Hi Never in Doubt

Thanks for the help on this. I did do a search on Companies House but didn't think to check DNS records.

It will be interesting to see what gets unearthed.

The client is a vets near Oxford. We have used them a couple of times but not for several years and have had no bills or invoices from them and then we get this out of the blue!

I am going to make complaints with the OFT and TS tomorrow once I've filled out the complaints forms and see what they do with it.

If Clive (Or Matt!) have decided this is a good business to get into he needs to change his conduct!

Thanks again

SnV
                            Even if you did owe it from years ago, it would be statute barred (if over 6yrs) meaning any action taken would be unlawful lol.... they really are muppets.

Comment

Niddy (PM Sent)

Comment

Working...
                              X