GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Harveys Furniture Problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harveys Furniture Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harveys Furniture Problem

Hi Everyone,

At the end of October I took delivery of my new sofas from Harveys and there was an issue with the firmness of the seating on the 3 seater sofa. Basically the middle seat is higher, and considerably firmer than the 2 end seats.

I emailed Harveys and they sent an engineer out. He said it was because the middle seat has been sat on less and therefor firmer. I explained that wasn't the case as the issue had been there since the sofa arrived. He said he would report the fault and I was to call Harveys to see what they would do. There is also damage to the corners of both sofas where it was squashed in transit. He said he would report on this also but didn't - He only took photos.

Harveys said they could insert extra foam in the 2 end seats which should make the situation better. They agreed to send out another engineer to do this and also look at the damage from delivery.

He came out and said he could insert the pads but it would have to be done on another visit. He also said the damage could be repaired by unpicking the stitching and refilling and applying heat to set it in position. All this will have to be done on another visit.

The sofa is also now creaking when it reclines so I think I have been unlucky and just have a really poor quality product. The comfort is also nowhere near the same as it was in the store.

I would really like to know what rights I have here. I have already taken 2 days off work and I am still no nearer to a resolution. Am I within my rights to ask for a replacement or do I have to accept there offer of a series of repairs?

It was not a cheap sofa so I really want to try and sort this out but so far their customer services are next to useless! It's also interesting that they vet reviews before they are posted on their website so you find it very hard to leave a negative review.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Beefy

Re: Harveys Furniture Problem

You should be covered under the sale of goods act. You can find all your options here:

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy1976 View Post
      Am I within my rights to ask for a replacement or do I have to accept there offer of a series of repairs?
      You have the legal right for a full refund of the money you paid. You don't have to accept repairs or a replacement.

How did you pay for this sofa? Was it by credit card or a loan? If so you'll be covered by section 75 of the CCA and the 'creditor' will have to pay up since they have a joint liability. Contact them right away if applicable. Here's some info on your rights:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-credit-act

Comment

Many thanks for your very fast replies!

I paid using their interest free credit which is with Ikanco bank.

Do you know of a good letter/template I can use as I want to put everything in writing to Harveys rather than email from now on.

Thanks again,
        Beefy

Comment

there was an issue with the firmness of the seating on the 3 seater sofa. Basically the middle seat is higher, and considerably firmer than the 2 end seats.

. . . . they sent an engineer out. He said it was because the middle seat has been sat on less and therefor firmer. . . . . Harveys said they could insert extra foam in the 2 end seats which should make the situation better. . . .
          ^^^^ I must say I don't like the attitude of that engineer. Who is he to say where you can and can't sit on your sofa. Did it come with a disclaimer or instructions which said that you had to rotate where you place your bottom in order to keep the sofa in good shape? Is he implying that you are 'hefty'?

I'd report him to the Fatist Police, the cheeky bugger

Comment

There is also the furniture ombudsman remember -> https://www.fira.co.uk/news/article/...ture-ombudsman

linky -> http://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
              ^^^^ I must say I don't like the attitude of that engineer. Who is he to say where you can and can't sit on your sofa. Did it come with a disclaimer or instructions which said that you had to rotate where you place your bottom in order to keep the sofa in good shape? Is he implying that you are 'hefty'?

He was a nightmare and did very little other than take a couple of photos!!

Comment

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

I'll alert Andrew as he might be able to advise.....
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Thank you.

Comment

There is also the furniture ombudsman remember -> https://www.fira.co.uk/news/article/...ture-ombudsman

linky -> http://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org
                      I always forget that useful nugget of information you taught me. Harveys are members too

http://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org...veys+Furniture

Comment

on a suitable diet ?

Comment

I always forget that useful nugget of information you taught me. Harveys are members too

http://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org...veys+Furniture
                          We needed it with Flossy but in the end Paul dealt with them and they *sorted* things - which was really good (if you recall her horrible treatment by DFS) - taking into account her illness and prolonged hospital stays.

Comment

Did you buy it on credit? Did you buy in store or sort it over the phone/internet. Have you reported the current problems to them (since they attempted the repair)?

Comment

Originally posted by ATW View Post
                              Did you buy it on credit?

Yes he did, fortunately

I paid using their interest free credit which is with Ikanco bank.

Comment

Working...
                              X