GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script 3 default notices from one account - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 default notices from one account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 default notices from one account

I have received 3 default notices on the same account within approximately a year. The timeline is as follows (copy/pasted from another area on the site):

Nov 2009 - sent them letter stating in financial difficulty with £1 token payment
    Dec 2009 - sent them follow up letter again stating financial difficulty with £1 token payment
    Dec 2009 - received default notice from them
    Jan 2010 - June 2010 - paid them by standing order approx £7 per month, including sending them incomings/outgoings letter which they quibbled about as they said they wanted proof of everything (bank statement, statements of other debts, proof of income, everything basically and we refused).
    April 2010 - they "transferred" our debt to Viking Collections (which I suspect is their in-house DCA) - we got 2 letters from them, then never heard from Viking again
    July 2010 - received another default notice from them
    July 2010 - requested CCA (and stopped monthly payments)
    August 2010 - received CCA from them, enforceable per Niddy, began paying them £14 per month by standing order.
    October 2010 - received ANOTHER default notice from them (this is now the third we've received from them)

After looking through the actual statements, it appears they have only been charging us interest each month. For some reason, since December 2010, they are suddenly charging us this monthly:
    £12.00 over limit fee
    £20.04 transf balance int charge
    £12.00 late payment fee
    £61.69 interest

So...I'm baffled why suddenly we are being charged the extra interest (the £20.04 transf balance int charge) and the fees (the over limit and late payment fees) when for over a year they didn't charge us for them. And not sure what to do about it, as I don't understand how they can now incorporate these fees and extra interest when they weren't charging them for the last year. Is there any way to address this and have the extra interest and fees removed and stopped?

And why 3 default notices?? I've noticed that on any of our Santander accounts, they seem to send numerous default notices at varying times (one Santander account had over 15 default notices sent to us!). I thought they could only do it once. I have noticed the defaults technically seem to state the arrears amount. Does that mean that they can put more than one default on the account if it's just covering arrears? sigh. So confused now. (Have I mentioned that I hate Santander? They are the ONLY creditors that do this - all others have been very straight forward.)
    Niddy, if you recall, we posted back and forth on this default notice thing previously (see from roughly post #93 on for a few posts) and you stated that them sending 3 default notices was not on.

And the most recent activity since the 3rd default notice of 15/10/2010:

31/10/10 - notice of sums in arrears

23/11/10 - received letter stating "are you experiencing financial difficulty?"

06/11/10 - monthly statement with interest of £83.20

06/12/10 - notice of default sums with overlimit fee of £12 and late payment fee of £12

06/12/10 - monthly statement with interest of £61.69 interest (why lower interest fee than previous month though balance is higher??), transf balance int charge £20.04, and above mentioned overlimit fee and late payment fee £24.00 total.... so basically they've added £105.73 in interest and charges

23/12/10 - received letter stating we've gone over our credit limit (apparently by £900+, which, since we were paying approximately £15 per month up until then, I'd say we went over quite some time ago, eh?)

Now today we have received a red paper from a DCA that we've never even heard of saying "Final demand" and demanding that we pay in full by 3rd of June 2011 (tomorrow). I hardly think that's appropriate notice, considering we just received it today (was dated 27 May). Again, followed by the usual threats of court and/or debt collector coming to the home.
    And basic info on the default notices:

Ok. here are the DNs.

First:
    Default Amount: £ 136.95
    Default Date (of letter): 21/12/2009
    Date to remedy default by: "within 14 days from receipt of this notice"
    Date you received the DN: (don't have receipt date)
    ACTUAL BALANCE OF STATEMENT: £no total balance listed, just arrears of £136.95

Second:
    Default Amount: £ 973.57
    Default Date (of letter): 13/07/2010
    ACTUAL BALANCE OF STATEMENT: £no total balance listed, just arrears of £973.57

Third:
    Default Amount: £ 1351.00
    Default Date (of letter): 15/10/2010
    ACTUAL BALANCE OF STATEMENT: £no total balance listed, just arrears of £1351.00

Each says "DEFAULT NOTICE Served under Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974" in red across top and in body of letter all say "We are required by law to send this notice to you before we can take action to recover the outstanding balance on your account" etc etc

As usual, Santander handles things oddly, as we received a letter from them before the first DN, dated 18/12/2009 saying "before we consider a temporary arrangement, we require you to complete the income and expenditure form on the reverse of this letter in full and return to us in 10 days"... and yet they didn't even wait the ten days, just fired off the DN.

And the amounts overdue were actually different than the amounts listed in the DNs. For example:
    first DN - dated 21/12/09 for £136.95, but statement of 06/12/09 shows overdue amount is £259.09
    WHAT IS THE ACTUAL BALANCE SHOWING ON THE STATEMENT: £4137.95

second DN - dated 13/07/10 for £973.57 but statement of 06/07/09 shows overdue amount is £1592.65
    WHAT IS THE ACTUAL BALANCE SHOWING ON THE STATEMENT: £4604.78

third DN - dated 15/10/10 for £1351.00 but statement of 06/10/10 shows overdue amount of £2166.74.
    WHAT IS THE ACTUAL BALANCE SHOWING ON THE STATEMENT: £4801.44

So no idea where they were getting the amounts from. Just seems no rhyme or reason to it all...
    Not sure what to do at this point. It's all from Paypal Santander. Interestingly enough, I have a second Santander account where they literally sent 14+ different default notices for the same account with varying amounts over the course of roughly 30-35 days!! We actually had post from them every single day for 35+ days!! But that, as I said, is a different account altogether. I will be sooooooo glad when we are all done with Santander.

Re: 3 default notices from one account

I'll ask Paul to come take a mooch.

If you have the DN's it'd be good to see them (blank out personal stuff)... See this new section; live from today

---> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/f...play.php?f=199
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I will scan them and get them in late tomorrow morning. If I go upstairs and use the scanner right now, I'll wake up the little ones. And then they'll neeeeevvvvvvveeerrrrrrr go back to sleep!!! LOL

Comment

Okay, going to post the DNs. Summary to make it easier:

Ok. here are the DNs.

First:
        Default Amount: £ 136.95
        Default Date (of letter): 21/12/2009
        ACTUAL BALANCE ON DN: £no total balance listed, just arrears of £136.95
        Balance listed on most recent statement: statement of 06/12/09 shows overdue amount is £259.09
        WHAT IS THE ACTUAL BALANCE SHOWING ON THE STATEMENT: £4137.95

default notice1.pdf

Second:
        Default Amount: £ 973.57
        Default Date (of letter): 13/07/2010
        ACTUAL BALANCE ON DN: £no total balance listed, just arrears of £973.57
        Balance listed on most recent statement: statement of 06/07/09 shows overdue amount is £1592.65
        WHAT IS THE ACTUAL BALANCE SHOWING ON THE STATEMENT: £4604.78

default notice2.pdf

Third:
        Default Amount: £ 1351.00
        Default Date (of letter): 15/10/2010
        ACTUAL BALANCE ON DN: £no total balance listed, just arrears of £1351.00
        Balance listed on most recent statement: statement of 06/10/10 shows overdue amount of £2166.74.
        WHAT IS THE ACTUAL BALANCE SHOWING ON THE STATEMENT: £4801.44

default notice 3.pdf
        Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 7 June 2011, 13:46. Reason: updated thread.....

Comment

Hmmm.... I followed the user guide, but it just put links instead of the picture. Odd. I must have done something wrong, but not sure what. It does bring up the image when you click on it though.
          Last edited by liandconsmum; 7 June 2011, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by liandconsmum View Post
            Hmmm.... I followed the user guide, but it just put links instead of the picture. Odd. I must have done something wrong, but not sure what. It does bring up the image when you click on it though.
            Its because you've uploaded pdf's - not images

Its perfectly normal.... if you do the same with an image, the image will embed into the message - pdf's don't, they open in a new link/download.....
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Oh. Okay. Another head bang moment then for me. LOL Thanks for sorting that. Do I need to send a message to Paul to get those looked at please? Or is this section his particular haunt?

Comment

I PM'd Paul and spoke to him about this at 6am.

He'll be back shortly, I'm sure

Comment

Ok well its kinda more tricky that just slapping 3 defaults on the table im afraid

First things first, you need to ascertain the balanace outstanding at the point of issue of the default notice. Now you may think ah mays default notice so i check mays statement??? but you may be wrong

Why well i will try and explain,

The Default notice will say current balance is................ and you have to pay ...................by ...............date.

the outstand balance however may vary as the statement of account may provide for the monthly payment to be made after the notice expires.

a working example

Statement date 8th April 2011
                  you must pay minimim payment of £1500 by 30 April 2011
                  Current balance £10000

Default notice date 9th April you must pay arrears of £900 by 29th April 2011.

The Default notice will not include the amount payable of £1500 because its not due before the notice expires. so you need to check your facts first and make sure you have the right statement covering the Default period.

Then look at your terms and conditions and see if it provides you must pay the over limit amounts and the arrears. If it does then look at the notice and see if it contains the correct statement as to the amount you must pay at the point the notice issued.

I dont think the bank would be estopped from issueing a new notice on the back of Harrison, but if they claim a small sum when they should have claimed a larger sum then they may face an estoppel problem if they seek the larger amount of arrears

I will come back later on this as im at work at the mo

Comment

Hmmm...confused, but I'll look this over this evening or tomorrow morning when I've not got two little ones climbing all over the place. LOL Thanks.

Although it does seem to me that there is quite a discrepancy between the amount on the DN and the amount on the statement just two weeks earlier. It's not like it would have been based on even the previous month's statement, as there's almost a £800 difference on the 3rd DN ( £1351 vs £2166) and the account certainly isn't going up by £800 per month.
                    Last edited by liandconsmum; 8 June 2011, 14:59.

Comment

If you have your statements can you wipe personal details and load the month before, the month itself and the month after the default notice was issued then we'd work it out for you.

Obviously leave the amounts and dates clearly on show but hide the other stuff....

Comment

I can, Niddy. Unfortunately, not until tomorrow. But I'll sort through tomorrow and do that. Thanks!

Also, I note the word "termination" used a lot regarding after the default. What's that? As I've never received anything specific after the default, things just kept on but through DCA generally.
                        Last edited by liandconsmum; 8 June 2011, 17:26.

Comment

Termination basically is the final step. Layman version would be that they cannot enforce a debt without first terminating; which they cannot do until you've breached the default notice terms (ie the date to clear the breach by)....

So if a lender issues a bad DN and then terminates the agreement, it would be very silly... That's what we'll be looking for with you, but it sounds like they haven't terminated unless you recall anything called "termination notice under s.76(1) & 98(1) cca(1974)"

Does that ring any bells? It may be disguised as a DN so check your paperwork carefully!

When they terminate it means they can demand full repayment and pursue via the courts (ccj). Without a correct DN being issued would surely affect the termination? Paul can clarify this cos he just won a case regards it

Make sense?

Comment

Remember the more info you provide the better!

What dates did you receive the DN's; leave dates and amounts present, upload statements removing personal things, tell us anything relevant! Chances are they've messed up somewhere, they always do!!

Comment

I don't recall seeing anything like that from Santander on any of my accounts. I'll look them over first. Between this one (Paypal Santander) and the other Santander account (the one with 15 DNs in 30+ days), the paperwork is massive. But I'll look closer and see what there is.

Comment

Working...
                              X