GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barclaycard & Right of Set Off - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barclaycard & Right of Set Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclaycard & Right of Set Off

I feel that the general public need to be made aware of how Barclaycard, by referring to the Financial Ombudsman Service, are in some instances, deliberately abusing the law of the land. Avoiding the Court System and taking money that they have no legal right to.

It does not matter who you complain to, in my case I have complained to the Chief Constable of Police, The Office of Fair Trading, The Financial Services Authority, and even to the Prime Ministers Office, referred to H M Treasury. They all point you to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The problem here is that the Financial Ombudsman does NOT have any remit on the Enforceability of Agreements.

The Ombudsman HAS to work on the basis that the information provided by Barclaycard is correct. If Barclaycard are not prepared to admit that they have an unenforceable agreement the Ombudsman MUST rule in their favour.

In my case I even provided the Ombudsman with a copy, obtained directly from Barclaycard, of an Improperly Executed Agreement under Section 61 (1) (a) not signed by Barclays. Containing the terms "when we consider your application" which makes it a future prospective regulated agreement,(unexecuted), and not referring to the prescribed terms. Section 127(3)

The Ombudsman cannot query this as stated in their final response. I have noted "Enforcers" strength of feeling and comments about the enforceability of the credit agreement, but I have no power to declare a credit agreement unenforceable; only a court can make that determination. How many of you out there can afford to take Barclays Bank PLC to court?

So, to start with, you write to Barclaycard, explaining that they do not have an enforceable agreement. They then send you a reconstituted agreement, to PROVE that it is enforceable, even though you do not pay the required fee. You already have paperwork from them to prove that it is not. They then pass your disputed account to their in house debt collectors who will bombard you with phone calls demanding payment. You write back to advise them that they do not have a legal right of set off. Mercers debt collections Barclaycards in house collectors will then send deliberately defective default notices, they send them under section under S87(i) instead of S87(1). If you still refuse to pay them, they will simply help themselves to your money! The police will not help you, the OFT cannot act in the case of an individual, the FSA cannot act in the case of an individual, the Treasury refer to FOS, the FOS cannot help as Barclaycard will not admit that they have got it wrong.

It would seem to me that the Banks are totally unregulated! No wonder that this country is in such a mess.

The actions of Barclaycard are I believe a scandal of epic proportion.
    How many loyal customers of Barclays Bank have been subject to their right of set off, when it should not have happened?

Is this the greatest banking scandal yet?

Surely someone can do something about it.

Comments please.
    Last edited by Enforcer; 23 February 2013, 10:53. Reason: mistake, put in S78(1) instead of S87(1) pointed out by Vint 1954

Re: Barclaycard & Right of Set Off

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
    I feel that the general public need to be made aware of how Barclaycard, by referring to the Financial Ombudsman Service, are in some instances, deliberately abusing the law of the land. Avoiding the Court System and taking money that they have no legal right to.

It does not matter who you complain to, in my case I have complained to the Chief Constable of Police, The Office of Fair Trading, The Financial Services Authority, and even to the Prime Ministers Office, referred to H M Treasury. They all point you to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The problem here is that the Financial Ombudsman does NOT have any remit on the Enforceability of Agreements.

The Ombudsman HAS to work on the basis that the information provided by Barclaycard is correct. If Barclaycard are not prepared to admit that they have an unenforceable agreement the Ombudsman MUST rule in their favour.

In my case I even provided the Ombudsman with a copy, obtained directly from Barclaycard, of an Improperly Executed Agreement under Section 61 (1) (a) not signed by Barclays. Containing the terms "when we consider your application" which makes it a future prospective regulated agreement,(unexecuted), and not referring to the prescribed terms. Section 127(3)

The Ombudsman cannot query this as stated in their final response. I have noted "Enforcers" strength of feeling and comments about the enforceability of the credit agreement, but I have no power to declare a credit agreement enforceable; only a court can make that determination. How many of you out there can afford to take Barclays Bank PLC to court?

So, to start with, you write to Barclaycard, explaining that they do not have an enforceable agreement. They then send you a reconstituted agreement, to PROVE that it is enforceable, even though you do not pay the required fee. You already have paperwork from them to prove that it is not. They then pass your disputed account to their in house debt collectors who will bombard you with phone calls demanding payment. You write back to advise them that they do not have a legal right of set off. Mercers debt collections Barclaycards in house collectors will then send deliberately defective default notices, they send them under section under S87(i) instead of S78(1). If you still refuse to pay them, they will simply help themselves to your money! The police will not help you, the OFT cannot act in the case of an individual, the FSA cannot act in the case of an individual, the Treasury refer to FOS, the FOS cannot help as Barclaycard will not admit that they have got it wrong.

It would seem to me that the Banks are totally unregulated! No wonder that this country is in such a mess.

How many loyal customers of Barclays Bank have been subject to their right of set off, when it should not have happened?

Comments please.

Join the club same with FOS and HSBC. they can use the right to set off and do, hence we state to open a parachute account for everyday use and make sure it is not with any other company within that group.

All the Ombudsman state as per the Adjudicator, the area of enforceability is up to a Judge and the court system.
    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 16 February 2013, 12:00.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

This comes back to my point. How many people can afford to take on the Banks.
      They are out of the control of any regulator!
      This information needs to be placed in the public domain.
      Can Niddy perhaps place my post on Google?
      Or send a link to the newspapers?

Comment

The Ombudsman cannot query this as stated in their final response. I have noted "Enforcers" strength of feeling and comments about the enforceability of the credit agreement, but I have no power to declare a credit agreement unenforceable; only a court can make that determination. How many of you out there can afford to take Barclays Bank PLC to court?

So, to start with, you write to Barclaycard, explaining that they do not have an enforceable agreement. They then send you a reconstituted agreement, to PROVE that it is enforceable, even though you do not pay the required fee. You already have paperwork from them to prove that it is not. They then pass your disputed account to their in house debt collectors who will bombard you with phone calls demanding payment. You write back to advise them that they do not have a legal right of set off. Mercers debt collections Barclaycards in house collectors will then send deliberately defective default notices, they send them under section under S87(i) instead of S87(1). If you still refuse to pay them, they will simply help themselves to your money! The police will not help you, the OFT cannot act in the case of an individual, the FSA cannot act in the case of an individual, the Treasury refer to FOS, the FOS cannot help as Barclaycard will not admit that they have got it wrong.

Comments please.
        Been thinking about this, if Trading Standards submit a request under CPUTR 2008, requesting a copy of the fully executed agreement that allows Barclaycard to apply their "legal"? right of set off, and they cannot comply, as they only have a improperly executed agreement. No signature by Barclays, failed under S61(1)(a)
        What are the legal implications?
        Any help please. Paul perhaps?
        Last edited by Enforcer; 23 February 2013, 10:54.

Comment

Its not just Barclays though is it mate, ergo there's your problem.

Which! are your best bet if you want to look into a super-complaint, email their editorial team direct.

Good luck

* this is on Google if people search for the right keywords lol.

5th post down from the top --> Google Search
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi enforcer,

I'm afraid that the right of set off is built into most agreements, so if you have a bank account with Barclays, they have the right to, and will help themselves to your money.

They cannot put you into an overdraft situation by doing so.

Default Notices are issued under s87 CCA 1974, and not s78.

Have you made an s78 request?

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
              I'm afraid that the right of set off is built into most agreements, so if you have a bank account with Barclays, they have the right to, and will help themselves to your money.
              Agreed however the argument here is that technically barclaycard and barclays ARE separate companies and the fact is they have an unfair advantage by dipping into your bank account without following proper process.

That said, I think the whole banking industry is dirty to the core and needs to close then reopen in a whole new identity, for example a few new banks would be good. Virgin Bank, Metro Bank and more...

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Bank of Niddy too

Comment

Thank you! Hopefully this will make more people "aware" of Barclaycard or perhaps that should be "beware", any chance of getting Paul to comment on Trading Standards and CPUTR request, will it achieve anything?

Comment

I think it's wrong that banks can do this, but think about it from the general publics point of view.

You owe the group some money, your not paying it so they take some of the money they are owed and your trying to get out of it by say use legal words.

Most people would say ( if it's not them !!!) pay up, you have had it you have spent it!!!!

Thats why I think if they use that sort of argument in the public forum it's difficult to win against the banks.

Comment

Totally agree Mgfboy.

Unless you have been in or are associated with someone who has or you are particularly enlightend from working with debt then the general public doesnt give too hoots.

Thats how the banks get away with it. The general public are fed trinkets to keep them quiet. They believe you had the money now pay up. And applaud the institutions however they get it.

But would soon squeal if next years holiday fund or the car repair money etc etc was whipped off them to pay off a credit card.

Comment

Yep, agreed MFGB and Ken.

There are a huge amount of people out there who basically don't give a damn. Until it happens to them of course. I was talking to a friend yesterday to find they've just been laid off. They'd not long ago bought a house. Considering the type of job they did I was shocked. While themselves would never judge it just struck me how many people are vulnerable to the whim of not only the economy, and tomorrow could find themselves in the same situation as my friend.
                        Last edited by oldyboy; 20 February 2013, 18:40.

Comment

Niddy, has the site had a Googlie bowled against it? Post was on Google last night, now disappeared!
                          Do Barclays own Google?

Comment

Niddy, has the site had a Googlie bowled against it? Post was on Google last night, now disappeared!
                            Do Barclays own Google?
                            Probably cos not had many page hits of late - have added some tags at the bottom, feel free to add more - they help spiders search the forum.

Comment

Thanks Niddy, post is back on Google.

Comment

Working...
                              X