GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLOSED -Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Those who know me from the place next door will know of my Love Hate relationship with my employers The Hoorays. Well these days it's only Lady Hooray as His Lordship cashed in his chips last year. He had got to the bottom of his last bottle of Vintage Port, and I think the nagging had got too much for him.

Since then things have not been to bad. Then today.

Lady Hooray reverted back to type today.
    She has had guests for a long weekend, for today to break up the tedium and after a 3 bottle's of red luncheon, she thought she would show them how to kick a Handyman.

So she wobbled into my workshop and say's You have made the Kennel too small, My terriers wont fit in. The terriers are the size of Corgi's. The Kennel 4 ft x 4 ft x 3.5 ft.

I said this morning you complained that the wood cost £160.00 and I told you that I only ordered it after you had approved the quote.

Now You were with me when I measured the gap it has to fit in, bearing in mind I have to fit it into an alleyway on my own and at the moment I would need 4 strong men to lift the thing with me. That's why I have made it sections and allowed 6 inches on each side to fasten it back together when I get it in place.

She waved a tape measure at me and said Well I've just measured the gap and it's 6 feet wide.

Best come with me then I said and I will use my tape measure, mines made of steel and not elastic.

Sure enough My measurement was a snug 4 ft 10 inches. When I looked over my shoulder she had her tape at 45 degrees trying to measure around a pile of logs and to the wall, she hadn't taken any account of the supports that come out from the wall every 5 feet.

My dog's won't use it she said, far too small. They were never likely to I replied, there like their owner to thick to come out of the rain.

No need to get nasty she said. Not being nasty just straight with you, you were there with me when I measured up and drew you a plan of how it would turn out.

This is why we can't get any local tradesmen to come here more than once, they quote for a job, do it, alter it, alter it again and then put it back to how it was in the first place. Then when the put in a bill for the weeks of extra work

She's a bit like watching the news reports of the Government cuts and Strategies.

Maybe they all went to the same public school.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.
    Regards, Handy.
    Last edited by Handyman; 14 February 2011, 23:57. Reason: Typo
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Re: Hooray Hall. Adventures of a Handyman.

Just so you know it isn't always this bad,

Mrs Handy came out with a good one the other day.

Her Ladyship is going to a weekly Art Class, expensive and run by a local Artist for wealthy women with little else to do with their time.

One of the exercises was to do a self portrait of yourself pulling a funny face, Lady Hooray brought hers home with her.

She proudly showed it to Mrs Handy, "what do you think" she said. Mrs H replied "that's brilliant you have got Alfred Hitchcock absolutely perfect".

If she wanted to draw a funny face she should have drawn herself at that moment.

I had to choke back my laughter and get out quickly.

There is a lighter side to life at the Hall.
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Hi all, just to let you know today wasn't that bad. I managed to hide her Ladyships elastic tape measure.
      There is a good side to life at Hooray Hall. I only have Lady Hooray and Mrs Handy to put up with.

I remember well my days of running around the country trying to earn a crust. Suit and Tie Job. Now these days I go around looking like Stig of the Dump. Oim a Praaper Wurzel. Green Wellys, Cord Trousers and an Australian
      Stock mans (Cowboy) Hat. Typical West Country attire.

I remember the time a guest at the hall asked how I got the Roses to bloom so wonderfully.
      I tugged my forelock and said plenty of Manure Maam.

A moment later I heard her saying to Lady Hooray, can't you get your crude man to call it fertilizer,
      Lady H replied, I think he likes you, It's taken me years to get him to call it Manure.

That will do for now, hope you are all well.
      Regards, Handy.

Comment

Oh I forgot to tell you, Last week at her sculpture class Lady Hooray did a clay sculpture of a lurcher in a recumbant position (lying down). As it's paws overhung the edge of the board, she placed it on the edge of the table. I was warned that I would be hung drawn and quartered if I knocked it bringing in the Logs for the fire.

Next day there was an explosion as it's foreleg was missing. Now I will be honest I had noticed it that morning, I knew who had done it. Now If the the place burned down and Lady H was the only person in 1000 miles with a match it would still be someone else's fault.

Mrs Handy and myself stood to attention while we were asked what had happened to the paw.
        Mrs Handy said so that was what it was, I saw this thing on the floor that looked like a little brown turd, picked it up with a tissue and threw it in the bin. I thought one of your terriers had Sh1t on the carpet again.

Mrs Handy would make a great Art Critic.

Regards, Handy.

Comment

Evening All. Not much to report today. I will be off line tomorrow for a couple of days, as gooing oop north to Numpty land to bury MIL's ashes. Clip round ear from Mrs Handy cos I said it's not every chap gets to see his Mother in Law off twice.

I can hear the old girl laugh at that one. We had this thing going where I would wind her up in public, she would fire back and even strangers would be in fits of laughter at the banter.

An example our local harbour, I was stood at the top of the slipway with MIL in her wheel chair. Shall we see if the brakes work I said loudly.
          An old couple walking by said you cant do that to an old Lady. I said it's only the Mother in Law, the chap said that's all right then.
          His wife clouted him with her hand bag, MiL looking directly at me with a twinkle in her eye said when I've had a drink I will hit him, and If he doesn't aim this thing at the pub right now I will hit him sooner.

I miss the old Trout.

Regards to all, Handy.

Comment

Bloodyu hell they renamed Yorkshire after me
            It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty Monkey View Post
              Bloodyu hell they renamed Yorkshire after me
              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

O Handy this is brilliant!!

I love the Hooray Hall Tales..............

xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylooloo View Post
                  O Handy this is brilliant!!

I love the Hooray Hall Tales..............

xxx
                  I agree, very entertaining tales,
                  Handy you should write a journal on Hooray Hall and get it published, your writing style reminds me of John Sharpe's "Wilt" books.

Comment

Hi Handy, can't wait till the next tale from Hooray Hall x
                    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

I've met Handy a few times, he's a total diamond ,
                      Alland I agree he should write a book
                      I think I might buy it
                      if I couuldn't get a free copy
                      It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi all, I'm gratified by all the messages of support. I'm glad you like the stories. They are all true (well very nearly). For the last 10 years I have worked for what you may call the landed Gentry. You may think that in this day and age they are a dieing breed. Well I can assure you they are not. They have sons and daughters at Eaton, Harrow and the Cheltenam ladies college. Proper little Hooray Henry's one and all. Some actually turn out sound and others like The Late Lord Hooray's son Young Captain Hise and Hinds (Horse and Hounds) MFH (Master of Fox Hounds). Who has never worked more than a gap year in an office and has a private income large enough to allow him to go out chasing Foxes every day for 6 months of the year.
                        As Oscar Wild called them the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible.

Actually folks like this are great fun to work for, if you can keep the right mind set.
                        For one they have a very limited sense of humour, two they are mostly thick even after the best education that money can buy, you never hear of anyone leaving Harrow without at least 1 GCSE.
                        Thirdly no one ever told them how to tell when someone is taking the P out of them.

Any way Handy is now back from the frozen north, It was snowing when we got away from South Yorkshire after saying goodbye to MIL for the second time. I'm glad we buried her ashes as stepson no 3 would have probably tried snorting the ashes when he had had a drink. Mind you she always said that she liked to get up the noses of those who upset her.

Maybe when it's my time I will have packets of myself turned into white powder and sent to a well known DCA, I would prefer it if I could give them the sh1ts rather than sinusitus.

Well tomorrow will see what happens when I go up to the hall, her Ladyship doesn't like us being away too often. Apart from having to bring in the logs and take out the bins, she's paranoid about leaving the place unattended. There is a state of the art alarm, but she can't remember how to turn it on, even though any alarm goes through to my iphone. It's a good system I designed it. I can even tell when she turns down the lane, that's my cue to make it look like I've been working Hard.

Back later with an update, I hope to keep you amused until I can find a place here where I can be of help.
                        Regards to all, Handy.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 19 February 2011, 22:35. Reason: typo's I bet I've still missed some.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty Monkey View Post
                          I've met Handy a few times, he's a total diamond ,
                          Alland I agree he should write a book
                          I think I might buy it
                          if I couuldn't get a free copy
                          I will give you a copy mate, if I don't get done for libel before I get it finished. My greatest fear is one day one of Lady Hooray's sons will see something I've posted here or next door. Son one is a 6 figure accountant who freelances for the FOS, Son 2 quit his job to go on a world tour just before the cull at Goldbloom Sucks (the bank).

Very financially savvy. Now no fear from His Lordships sons, If the butler can't google all about, then will never find me.

If they do then my names Numpty. LOL.
                          Regards, Handy.

Comment

These diaries are fantastic. I agree, Allan - very Wilt, but that was fiction. Hard to believe there are still people around like this! Brilliant stuff. Keep it up, Handy.
                            Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
                            SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

Love it!! I can't believe I've only just seen this thread haha!
                              Made by God...Improved by the Devil
                              Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Working...
                              X