GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script FEL1C1TY's UE Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEL1C1TY's UE Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEL1C1TY's UE Diary

Sorry in advance for the extremely long post but I wanted to provide some background to my situation before asking for some help in dealing with a particularly annoying DCA that are being very uncooperative in my attempts to settle an old credit card account.

Between 1999 – 2004 I managed to accumulate approx. £37,000 of unsecured debts spread between a series of loans, hire purchase, store and credit cards. Some, but not all of this spending was down to me; unfortunately I fell into the trap of being very young (22 at this point) and silly and allowed an ex-boyfriend to totally take me to the cleaners! We basically ran up joint debts but the majority of the spending was on cards/agreements that were in my name only. We also had a joint mortgage with NRAM at 99% LTV. With both of us in full time employment, and him transferring me 50% of the required monthly payments there was no problem at all with keeping up with what was required on a monthly basis…. Until we split up! We separated in 2004 and he literally disappeared off the face of the earth for the best part of 9 years, leaving me well and truly in trouble!

Shortly after the break up I realised that I had to take a very long hard look at my situation and work out how I was going to deal with the £37k of debts and manage to keep our joint mortgage going, especially since my outgoings were significantly higher than my now single income! …At the age of 24 of I finally grasped the concept of APR and the absolute dire situation that I was now in! My mind set at that time was that preserving my credit score and not going bankrupt were my top priorities, no matter how long it took me to clear everything down. (Oh how I wish I’d just bitten the bullet back then and entered into some sort of debt management program straight away… I’d be 100% clear by now and my life would be significantly different)!

Between 2004 – 2008, every spare penny I had was going towards clearing off my debts but despite paying on average £580 per month faultlessly for all that time, I’d barely made a dent in the capital I owed.

In 2007 I was made redundant and received a healthy payout which I promptly used the majority of to clear down a big chunk of my outstanding debts (making sure to deal with the most expensive ones first). At the time I was made redundant I already had another job to go to so I thought I was doing the right thing but in hindsight, this was another big mistake! Largely due to the recession hitting in 2008, the new role (a change in career) was not a success and I ended up unemployed for 5 months shortly afterwards!

During that time period everything went horribly wrong once again for me and I ended up in almost as much debt again through further borrowing and an accumulation of charges and interest over the time I was unable to make full payments for a short while! I’ll save the details for later but in short after being harassed by HSBC collections call centres about 6 times a day for about a year, I finally succumbed and entered into a DMP in 2010! (… I even managed to get that wrong however as I was in a fee paying DMP and was unaware at the time that I could have had the same service for free and have been clearing off even more of my debt)! I was paying into this DMP faultlessly until July of this year when I decided that it was time to put a stop to giving them £60pcm for something I can do myself now!

Over the last few months I’ve been making good progress with all of my debts, I’ve cleared down a number of agreements as I came into some additional funds after my current partner got me a new car and I decided to sell it and use the proceeds to clear off as much as I could. Today, I have 3 remaining debts to clear:
    £1531 – Barclaycard, (Agreement to pay £26 PCM in place)
    £4338 – Idem Capital Securities (Ex MBNA card) (Agreement to pay £105 PCM in place)
    £4966 – Moorgate (Ex HSBC card – In Default). (Refusing to accept a monthly payment of £95 PCM…. £10 more PCM than they’ve been getting for the last 4 years through the DMP)!

The above is all based on my current situation as of today…. My circumstances are about to change significantly for the better as I’m about to embark on moving into a new house with my partner and we’ll be sharing all of our living costs moving forwards. At that time, I’ll be able to clear off a minimum of £1000 PCM perhaps more to get this final chunk forever sorted out! (….I can hardly believe that after 15 years of hard slog, I’m almost there)! My plan is to hit Idem first then clear off the Barclaycard with everything I have as they are showing as ‘green’ on my credit report… once they’re cleared off they will be ‘Satisfactory and Settled in Full’ so all good there!

My problem is with Moorgate and what to do about them!?...

Moorgate are the current DCA looking after my old HSBC credit card taken out in June 2000. I don’t have a copy of my original Credit Agreement so I couldn’t tell you what the Ts&Cs were in terms of interest rates and minimum payments etc. Between 2000 and 2010 I made every single minimum payment due and often paid off larger amounts when possible.

At that time I also had x2 Current accounts with HSBC both with a £500 OD limit. During my period of unemployment in 2008 I had moved into my partner’s rented property and rented out my own, in order to be able to continue meeting the mortgage repayments whilst out of work. Sadly, (like everything I seem to embark on) even this couldn’t work out for me! The tenants never once paid their rent on time in the 8 months that they lived in my property! After the second month of them paying late and having run out of savings left to cover the shortfall when my mortgage was due to be paid, I called HSBC and tried to get them to help me. I requested that they temporarily raised my OD limit to £1000 for a period of 2 weeks to allow the mortgage to be paid and then the rental funds to arrive late but they were not prepared to help me in any way shape or form! They wouldn’t even agree to refuse to make the payment for my mortgage stating that only NRAM could cancel the direct debit! (I found this odd but they wouldn't budge)! … As a result, I ended up in a vicious circle of charges upon charges and no way of paying this back. When I started working again I was left with no choice but to open a fresh bank account with a new bank, leaving my 2 £500 ODs maxed out over at HSBC.

Once I was getting paid into my new bank account I was able to take full stock of my situation again and embark on making at least my minimum payments now that I had a new job. I contacted HSBC and explained why I’d been forced to move away from them but that I had every intention of paying back the £1000 that I owed them. (Despite most of this compromising of their unfair charges) I offered them £5 per month on each account for the next 6 months, with a promise to review and increase the amount as much as possible at that time. They refused to accept this amount and I entered in to some weird ‘Groundhog Day’ type phone war with their collections department in India for the next year! (I did continue to make my £10 worth of payments each month though). This situation resulted in me approaching a DMP and getting them to handle all of my affairs moving forwards. I paid them every month and the calls finally stopped!

Everything ticked over nicely for about 3.5 years and then I started looking at moving house and getting a new mortgage….. to my horror, my credit file is showing 3 defaults that I was totally unaware of! All of my lenders accepted the repayment terms proposed by the DMP and froze the interest on my accounts with no problems at all. But my dear friends over at HSBC decided to reap their revenge on me by accepting the payments but putting all of my accounts with them into default and then passing them on to DCAs shortly afterwards! I cleared off the 2 ODs earlier on this year so they’re finally done and dusted but do show as defaults on my file posted in March and September 2010. (Not sure why they show different dates as everything happened at the same time…. Is there maybe a way I can have this all corrected to show as the earliest date? … that’s one of my many questions on how I should proceed!

When I left my DMP a few months ago I called up Moorgate as they were named as the party HSBC had passed the debt onto and advised them that I was no longer in the DMP and wanted to communicate directly with them. After looking through my credit file in detail I had a number of concerns that the amounts being displayed were incorrect as were the default dates that were applied. (NB, both Moorgate and HSBC were reporting this on my file as 2 separate defaults at one point with totally different sets of info on amounts and dates… Experian have since removed the HSBC entry but I’m still none the wiser on what I actually truly owe or to what I've paid back over the last 14 years)!

I spoke to them back in August and offered them a reduced settlement figure of £2085. During the conversation I advised them that I had been placed ‘at risk’ of redundancy and could very well be out of work within the next 3-4 month time frame. (At that point in time it was the truth but I've now been advised that I've dodged that particular bullet for the time being, thankfully)! I also advised them that I had a chunk of money from the sale of a car that was given as a gift and that I was distributing this out between my creditors in attempt to clear down all of my old debts prior to my possible change in circumstances….Next they sent me a letter saying that they were unable to consider settlement offers without a full understanding of my situation so I needed to provide full income and expenditure details to enable them to move forwards…. I dutifully called them up and provided all of this information over the phone. (I know now this was a mistake)!

My offer was refused in writing shortly afterwards and when I called in to argue this they said that they didn't accept anything less than 100% to settle an account and that I should provide them with full details of my income and expenditure, signed and in writing at my earliest convenience so they could agree a monthly payment amount with me moving forwards! …I explained that I’d already done that over the phone on a previous call and that I could only afford to pay £95 PCM for the time being and would possibly end up shortly not being able to pay anything at all. Cue another run through of my entire financial breakdown on the phone with them where I clearly displayed that £95 PCM was the maximum I could afford to pay right now (since they’d missed their chance on settlement earlier and now the extra funds I had cleared off other debts, not theirs)...

Even though this is more than they’ve been getting for the last few years the greedy beggars refused this on the grounds that my ‘housekeeping bills’ are deemed higher than the government guidelines!! (…err…what?!!)! The call agent advised me that they refused to accept anything less than £220PCM or they’re sending the file to their doorstep collections team! This totally infuriated me and I lost the plot slightly on the phone but did manage to tell them that I wasn’t paying them another penny until they proved to me exactly how much I’d actually ever owed HSBC in the first place, plus how much I’ve paid back of the original debt, plus how much has been added on each time they’ve passed the file from DCA to DCA over the years etc etc. I demanded that they send me a full statement of my account from the day it was opened and also a full copy of my original credit agreement before I was prepared to enter into any kind of further discussion with them.

They advised me that they would send me a full statement of the account from when they had taken it over as soon as possible but that they had to go back to HSBC to request the historical information. I received a letter from them a few days later with a list of my payments to Moorgate since March 2013. The account has been with them since at least 2012 and they haven’t sent me any further evidence of this since my request. I assume HSBC have not been able to provide this information so far… one of the steps I’m considering taking next is issuing HSBC with a formal SAR request directly. Does anyone have any advice/thoughts they can share on this topic based on my situation please?

As for the CCA request, although I didn't request this in writing with the required £1 payment, I have received a letter back from them dated 20 October 2014 stating the following:

‘Further to your earlier request for a copy of the original credit card agreement on 9th September 2014, please note that we requested this for you from HSBC Bank plc. However, unfortunately we have been informed that this document is unavailable.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
    Should you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to assist you.
    Yours sincerely
    Manager of the Servicing Department’

….so, at this point, based on a lot of reading that I've been doing lately, I figured, for once, I might actually be home dry and off the hook for one tiny chunk of the masses of debt that I've dutifully paid off over the last 15 years! I decided to sit back, hold my breath and see what happens next! At this point in time I think that the debt might well be ‘unenforceable’….. is this a correct assumption please?

Sadly, my little bubble of hope was burst at 08:10 this Saturday morning when Moorgate very kindly called me up (luckily my phone was on silent) and left me a message asking me to call them back! I know the first thing I need to do is write to them and insist on no more verbal communication! But from this point on I’m a little cloudy about where I actually stand! It seems too good to be true (and just my luck not to be) that something this simple could enable me to finally tell them where to go!

…if anybody’s still awake after reading my epic debt journey, I’d really appreciate some advice on my final hurdle in getting my life straightened out once and for all! …. I really want to make the right move and as you've probably gathered if you’re still reading this, I haven’t exactly done a great job at managing things on my own so far!

Many thanks in advance for any help that’s offered!

FEL1C1TY

Re: FEL1C1TY's UE Diary

Many of us have been in the same situation, fully understand what you have been through.CCA unavailable! They can't find it! You do not pay them anything else. Unenforceable, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by FEL1C1TY View Post
      also had a joint mortgage with NRAM at 99% LTV. . . .

…if anybody’s still awake after reading my epic debt journey, I’d really appreciate some advice on my final hurdle in getting my life straightened out once and for all!
      Hi FEL1C1TY and to AAD which is a great place to unload as you can see.

I'm still awake after reading your journey which is similar to most of ours on here. No one decides to make *debt* a career choice, it just happens through a series of unplanned bumps in the road. In your case it started with a rogue boyfriend who left you with all the financial problems to sort.

My first question is what has happened to your mortgage? Did NRAM repossess the property or do you still have it?

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words so far!!

...as for the mortgage, I've managed to hang on in there and still have my property. I'm actually in the process of porting that very mortgage over to a new property at the moment! (Due to the default situation, getting a new mortgage has proved to be a bit of a challenge so luckily NRAM are being cooperative or I'd have had to of pulled out of my sale by now)! ...The minute those defaults disappear in 2016 I'll be applying for a new (hopefully competitive) alternative!

Comment

I'm actually in the process of porting that very mortgage over to a new property at the moment!
          That's excellent news. I'm impressed that NRAM will port your mortgage because they don't usually play ball. I assume this means they've agreed to take your ex-boyfriend off the mortgage?

You say he's gone off the radar which is a good thing because if there is any equity in that property he could start to chase you for what he believes would be "his" share since his name was/is on the deeds.

Comment

...yes, I've been lucky with NRAM, they've always been very good with me over the situation with my ex but I suppose that's because I've never given them reason not to be! I've had that mortgage (repayment) for 10 years and aside from 2 authorised payment holidays I've never missed a payment. There's no way for me to borrow any further money from them in this move but between my partner and gifts from family members we have enough to cover the difference so it's perfect. I've currently got 85% LTV where I am, and the move will be taking me to 65% LTV so really, they'd be mad not to agree!

...I did start looking at new mortgages with an IFA but the defaults made it hard... originally they were saying I could borrow x amount and would be getting a 3.66% rate but then as we progressed the amount they were willing to lend dropped, plus they insisted that I clear off all my existing debts before completion (which would have put a scupper in the works with my Moorgate situation) and to top it off, the rate was now 4.99%!! ....worse than NRAMs standard variable!! ..... coupled with the fact that I'm 10 years in to a repayment mortgage and am now starting to clear down a good amount of capital every month, it turned out to be a bit of a no branier in the end! (...it's not a done deal yet though, it's only agreed in principle so fingers crossed it all goes through)!

As for the ex.... he's well and truly sorted now! ...he was in the forces so when he went it was pretty easy for him to go off the radar! My attempts to locate him (and my BMW that I was still paying £200pcm for on finance for 4 years after we split...grrrr) at the beginning were unsuccessful as he'd been posted elsewhere and they took his side in the matter! At the time I didn't exactly have many spare funds to embark on any sort of formal legal pursuit for him so I had to just dig in and get on with it! However, back in 2010 (when I was still in negative equity) I decided to have another go at finding him again! I got my solicitor to write a letter to him care of the military base that he used to be posted at saying that if I didn't receive a response within 28 days to this letter that I'd be issuing court proceedings to a) force his removal from the joint mortgage and b) sue him for half of the negative equity + 6 years missed mortgage payments + the BMW etc etc etc!! .....Funnily enough, he got in touch pretty quickly as he'd been 'recently posted back there'! (Yeah right)!! .... Apparently he had been trying to get in touch with me for years to deal with the situation and had no means of contacting me, it was lucky that I'd got in touch because he was now married and he and his wife were intending on buying their own property very shortly! ... ha ha ha... really?... my phone number, email address, facebook profile have all remained unchanged for the last 10 years, err, as has the address that you used to live at prior to being a total tool as well!!... Anyway, there was no point in messing up the fact that I now had what I needed on the verge of being done and dusted finally so I took a deep breath and played nice! ...He ended up just signing everything over to me and my 'Change of Parties' came through in 2010...happy days! (...I'm quite annoyed that he's now in a perfect financial situation and has benefited from my 10 years of faultless mortgage paying...but hey ho...BIG lessons learned there... never again will I be so stupid... plus, I believe in karma so I'm sure he'll get his one day... hopefully his wife's a right old minger too, lol)!

Comment

Did you use the CCA request from this site Felicity (welcome by the way)?
              When did you last pay anything to this one?

I do hope you have stopped paying this, as they have admitted it is UE
              You will have to wait until it is SB now but as you have that letter it is pretty simple to bat away any numpties looking for money.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                Did you use the CCA request from this site Felicity (welcome by the way)?
                When did you last pay anything to this one?

I do hope you have stopped paying this, as they have admitted it is UE
                You will have to wait until it is SB now but as you have that letter it is pretty simple to bat away any numpties looking for money.

Thanks MrsD.... I actually just asked for it via the phone! I assume their letter back referring to that conversation means that I don't need to send them the £1 and a formal letter!?

My last payment was the 9th September after I fell for their trick of them telling me I'd get a doorstep visit if I didn't pay something!... I gave them the £95 that we were arguing about!

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far.....

So.... what's the best thing for me to do now please? Do I sit back, ignore their calls and wait for them to write to me again?

Or would it be better to send them a letter as per the below?:

Reference: xxxxxxxx

On 09/09/2014 I spoke to your telephone agent and requested that you supply me a true copy of the executed credit agreement for the above numbered account. In response to this request I was supplied a document that confirms the lender does not have a copy of the agreement.Sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 etc etc..... as per your 'No CCA' Template letter...

Many Thanks

FEL1C1TY

Comment

I actually just asked for it via the phone! I assume their letter back referring to that conversation means that I don't need to send them the £1 and a formal letter!?
                    Your telephone 'request' will be meaningless as a weapon in court (hopefully not going to happen) unless you have sent a formal written request together with the £1 statutory fee. Use out Template Letter here to cover yourself legally speaking:

http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/inde...22-cca-request

Comment

Hi, Just popping in to wish you the best of luck, just follow the advice/process and stay strong. You are in good hands here
                      Fight the good fight and we will prevail
                      Proud to be a member of the AAD community

Comment

Hi Fel1city
                        You are certainly in the right hands now.Trust AAD,believe me.
                        Greymatter

Comment

welcome aboard Fel1city may your journey here be a good one xx NW
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Welcome follow suggestions on here you will be fine.Best to send AAD template CCA letter,paper trail and all that.Best not to speak to them tho ever.good luck xx
                            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks once again for all previous comments/suggestions...it's truly appreciated!

Just wanted to check back in with a bit of a progress update on how things have been progressing and ask for some advice on my next steps please ....

12th November 2014 - Using the ADD template letter, I sent a formal request for the CCA with a £1 postal order included.

15th November 2014 - Received a letter from Moorgate dated 11th November saying the following:

'Please be advised that we have tried to contact you to no avail.
                              We agreed an arrangement of £95 per month to be paid via standing order. We have not received your October payment.
                              Please contact our office within the next 7 days to discuss this further. Failure to do so may result in collections activity and your account being passed to a Debt Collection Agency. We must make you aware that we continue to report late or missed payments to the Credit Reference Agencies'.

....this made me laugh as they refused my offer of £95 per month so why they were expecting a payment is beyond me! I just ignored this letter.

27th November - Call received from Moorgate on a withheld number to my mobile. The agent advised that they wanted to discuss overdue payment. I advised that I had requested the CCA and that the account is in dispute therefore they shouldn't be chasing me for payment until they have provided the relevant info. I also advised that I did not wish to be contacted via telephone any more and that everything should be sent to me in writing moving forwards. The agent advised that they were still entitled to chase me for payment as much as they liked and said that I'd already been advised after my initial telephone request that the document was not available. She said they were in contact with HSBC who were working on providing a copy of the Ts&Cs which is sufficient apparently! ..... I reminded her that we were already past the 12 day period for response and that I had received no communications in response to my formal request. The call ended there.

8th December 2014 - Curious letter from Idem Servicing stating the following:

'In reference to the above numbered account. Please find enclosed a copy of your credit agreement as requested. If you have any further queries please contact on the number above'.
                              Attached is a fully legible, signed copy of my original application form for my MBNA credit card back in 1999!

.....I was absolutely baffled for a moment! Thinking that perhaps I'd got my account numbers muddled up when I sent off the formal CCA letter and accidentally provided the MBNA reference instead... but I've double checked and I definitely asked for the CCA on the HSBC account. Idem and Moorgate are part of the same company so it's no surprise that they hold details for both accounts somewhere up the chain, but this seems like an extremely strange tactic by them, and I just don't see the point of it! ...can anyone help me here please? Has this happened before?!

...So, now I'm a bit unsure on what to do next! ..is it time to send Moorgate an edited version of the 'No CCA' Template letter and just ignore the letter I received from Idem?

Many thanks in advance....

F.

Comment

Working...
                              X