Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CapQuest

Hi,
    Hopefully I won't confuse things here as I try to explain my situation. I am divorced and have been for almost 10 years now so this has been going on for a while.
    Ok, here goes....I am really bad at keeping track of things, especially financial things.
    I had a lot of debt after my divorce, overdrafts, credit cards, loans, a mortgage and so on.
    I remember trying to explain to people that because most of them were marital debts I would be willing to repay half and they could chase my ex wife for the rest. I believe she began using her maiden name again so they couldn't find her and just kept coming after me. In the end, I myself left the army and they lost track of me for a while.
    This is where Capquest come in but there are 3 parts to this...

I did set up a repayment plan for a debt that I simply cannot remember. I have been paying a standing order to them for £30 a month for maybe 6 years (I have to get to the bank to check the start date). There is a referene number to the standing order but that's all. So late last year, I wrote to Capquest asking them for details of the debt and received no reply. I then got 2 letters from them demanding money for 2 further debts, that would be from when I was married, so around a decade ago. I wrote to them again saying "You obviously received my previous letter since you are writing to me at my new address. It would be polite of you replied to its contents". I still have no reply to that letter.
    So, my questions are;
    1. How do I find out what those payments have been for because as it was a standing order, I believe I must have repaid it and have continued to pay them regardless (I dropped the amount to £1 a month after the first letter was ignored)?
    2. How do I reply to the 2 requests they have made? I am assuming that after so long they can't possibly enforce it.
    3. If I have overpaid them, how the hell do I get it back??

Oh, as for the standing order, I have another one with Barclays, I wrote to them asking the same questions as to what it was for and again had no reply.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to any advice or suggestions.

Mick

Re: CapQuest

Originally posted by Mickb1969 View Post
    Hi,
    Hopefully I won't confuse things here as I try to explain my situation. I am divorced and have been for almost 10 years now so this has been going on for a while.
    Ok, here goes....I am really bad at keeping track of things, especially financial things.
    I had a lot of debt after my divorce, overdrafts, credit cards, loans, a mortgage and so on.
    I remember trying to explain to people that because most of them were marital debts I would be willing to repay half and they could chase my ex wife for the rest. I believe she began using her maiden name again so they couldn't find her and just kept coming after me. In the end, I myself left the army and they lost track of me for a while.
    This is where Capquest come in but there are 3 parts to this...

I did set up a repayment plan for a debt that I simply cannot remember. I have been paying a standing order to them for £30 a month for maybe 6 years (I have to get to the bank to check the start date). There is a referene number to the standing order but that's all. So late last year, I wrote to Capquest asking them for details of the debt and received no reply. I then got 2 letters from them demanding money for 2 further debts, that would be from when I was married, so around a decade ago. I wrote to them again saying "You obviously received my previous letter since you are writing to me at my new address. It would be polite of you replied to its contents". I still have no reply to that letter.
    So, my questions are;
    1. How do I find out what those payments have been for because as it was a standing order, I believe I must have repaid it and have continued to pay them regardless (I dropped the amount to £1 a month after the first letter was ignored)?
    2. How do I reply to the 2 requests they have made? I am assuming that after so long they can't possibly enforce it.
    3. If I have overpaid them, how the hell do I get it back??

Oh, as for the standing order, I have another one with Barclays, I wrote to them asking the same questions as to what it was for and again had no reply.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to any advice or suggestions.

Mick
    Hiya Mick

Ok, I kinda get where you're coming from here. First things first, stop payments with all of them - sod em! Then send a CCA Request off for the debts (the ones you are paying) ---> CCA Request

Doing this will make them sit up and respond to you, plus until they do then you do not lawfully have to pay anyway, and similarly they cannot take any formal action against you.

Regards to the other letters you received; send this off (one letter per account):--->
    You know nothing of the Debt / Prove It Template
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Just one thing though, because it's been so long, I don't actually know what they are for or have an account number for the two I have been paying by standing order. There is just a reference number on the SO.
      How do I find out what they are for?

Sorry, all this stems form a very messy divorce. I found that my ex wife had run up all of my credit cards, taken a loan out in my name, committed fraud and tried to get me to lose my house. It did all get on top of me and I did what I could at the time. I just want done with it all now.

Comment

Ring the dca and ask for the original account number.... Or use the reference within the standing order and provide the address you were living at when the credit was taken out.

Do you have access to your credit file?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I do follow it with Experian if that's what you mean?

I just checked on there and I don't see anything for Capquest or any other DCA's. There is nothing for Barclays and apart from a couple of late payments to an old phone bill in 2008, everything seems green.

It's Creditexpert.co.uk that I am registered with. I signed up to try and protect myself from id theft, fraud and to see who searches for me.....no one has for a while!!

Mick
          Last edited by Mickb1969; 11 May 2011, 10:54. Reason: Checked Experian File

Comment

Ok well best of luck, keep us updated when you get things sorted etc....

Comment

Update.
              Today I sent off a few letters to CapQuest. 1 with a postal order for £1 for the CCA request and 2 denying knowledge of the debt and asking for proof.

In other news, I also sent a CCA Request to Barclays and sent off my official complaint to the FOS for a PPI claim against Lloyds.

I shall keep you posted.

Comment

Best of luck Mick

Comment

UPDATE....
                  I received 2 letters today for each of the "You know nothing of the Debt / Prove It Template" letters I sent out last week.
                  One just confirms receipt of my letter and the other says "This account is now on hold and an investigation will be carried out in line with our on-house procedure and as soon as we have the results of our findings, we will be in contact with you".
                  I am guessing that's a good sign

Comment

UPDATE....
                    I received 2 letters today for each of the "You know nothing of the Debt / Prove It Template" letters I sent out last week.
                    One just confirms receipt of my letter and the other says "This account is now on hold and an investigation will be carried out in line with our on-house procedure and as soon as we have the results of our findings, we will be in contact with you".
                    I am guessing that's a good sign
                    Lets wait and see what they come back with......

Comment

The 2 debts in question are around 10 years old, so it will be interesting

Comment

The 2 debts in question are around 10 years old, so it will be interesting
                        Indeed it will, but you'll be fine, they need to prove it is you and that you made contact (or admitted the debt) within the last 6 years, if they can't then you'll argue for statute barred

Comment

Had a reply from Crapquest today. they say they can't understand why I have said I have no knowledge of 2 of the debts since I have previously acknowledged them and made offers to pay....I don't recall ever doing this.
                          On the other debt, they say it is closed and has been returned to Capital one bank. The thing is, I was paying that by standing order so how do I find out when it was repaid and how much extra I have paid them? Is there a magic letter template for that one?
                          Niddy, I have scanned their reply in full and am uploading it to you. One thing I can say is that I haven't banked with RBS since I left the army in 2002. I believe the debts were for a joint account and I did say I would be willing to pay half so long as they sought the remainder from my ex wife. That was definitely over 6 years ago though, more like 8 or 9.

Comment

Had a reply from Crapquest today. they say they can't understand why I have said I have no knowledge of 2 of the debts since I have previously acknowledged them and made offers to pay....I don't recall ever doing this.
                            On the other debt, they say it is closed and has been returned to Capital one bank. The thing is, I was paying that by standing order so how do I find out when it was repaid and how much extra I have paid them? Is there a magic letter template for that one?
                            Niddy, I have scanned their reply in full and am uploading it to you. One thing I can say is that I haven't banked with RBS since I left the army in 2002. I believe the debts were for a joint account and I did say I would be willing to pay half so long as they sought the remainder from my ex wife. That was definitely over 6 years ago though, more like 8 or 9.
                            Hiya

Can you confirm then, the RBS account - you definitely never paid anything or agreed anything since at least 2002?

Ideally it'd be better for you to read this: #2

Then provide the details requested (by replying to this thread) for all the accounts then i'll be better placed to help, as you're on about paying some and others being older, I am confused.....

When you provide this info then i'll sort you a reply to capquest to cover all 3 accounts.

You also queried capital one, I cannot answer with this unless you provide some background, again see this: #2

Comment

Debt 1.
                              Type of account Overdraft (joint account when I was married)
                              Date commenced 1992 ish but was locked due to divorce in May 2001.
                              Approx balance £1656.67 as at 14/3/2006
                              Date last paid 1991 when my pay would have gone in to the account.
                              Are you on arrangement or not paying made an offer to pay half when I left the army in 2002, since then I do not recall making any offer to pay anything.
                              Status Sold to Capquest in 2006
                              Account owner Capquest

debt 2
                              Type of account Overdraft (as far as I am aware)
                              Date commenced 2001
                              Approx balance £449.37
                              Date last paid 2002 ish when my pay would have gone in to the account (I switched to Lloyds TSB before leaving the army in Oct 2002)
                              Are you on arrangement or not paying......Not paying
                              Status As far as I know I have not made any offers to repay this overdraft.
                              Account owner Capquest

Debt 3
                              Type of account Capital One Credit card

Date commenced 2002 ish

Approx balance REPAID according to Capquest

Date last paid I cancelled the Standing Order in Oct last year

I had a payment agreement with Capquest to repay this debt at £30 per month by standing order. They have written to me saying that I started payments to them in May 2005 so i estimate that I have repaid £2000 or so to them for this. the letter also states that the account is now closed and has been returned to Capital One Bank. Because I was paying by standing order to Capquest, I believe they have continued to take the £30 a month even though this debt has been paid in full. How do I find out when it was repaid and how many months I have been overpaying them? is it a simple case of writing to them and asking?

For the first 2 debts, I am sure that in the last 6 years I would not have made any offers to pay them anything because I would not have had the means to pay anyway. I may have offered back in 2002 but they refused those offers at the time.

Sorry to make this complicated.

Mick

Comment

Working...
                              X