GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

In view of what happened to me two weeks ago, I'm thinking of applying for a Crappy One credit card.

When I was applying for my TSB Business Account, which has now been approved, the bank manager said to me three times - “you've got an extremely good credit rating.”

It shouldn't be bad, as all of the defaults I had should have dropped off the file last year. I've also had a Santander/Alliance & Leicester current account (which I believe reports to the CRAs) for nine years now with no missed payments or problems. I have had a Vanquis card since last June, which has been paid off in full every month.

As a self-employed, I've got no chance of getting a mainstream card, Post Office credit card or Creation card. Can't meet their criteria. However, Crappy One's appo form only asks for overall income, not where it comes from.

The negative side is that TSB have just given me a £650 overdraft (which I will obviously never use), so C1 may see that I've got too many borrowing facilities already. I've also never had a limit rise on Vanquis, which is reasonable as they gave me an insane £500 to start with.

If I apply and get turned down, it is not likely to have any negative effect, now that I've got my business account. The search should only remain for a year, and it is extremely unlikely I would apply for anything else within that time.

If Niddy or any other experts are reading, what do you think?

SH

Re: Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

Try it. I think you would need to be refused 4 times in 12 months for it to have a massive negative effect on you.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would try it as Cap1 gave us both cards despite having defaulted and closed earlier accounts with them.
      Last edited by cymruambyth; 25 September 2014, 15:31.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

A concur. Go for it mate.

However youre probably best applying at tsb if your rating is that good. Failing that try barclaycard pre-app service. I think fluid offer similar.... http://fluid.co.uk/homepage-a/

Only records a soft search that way
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Just wondered where Vanquis, Aqua and the like get details to 'pre-select' people who need credit repairing.

Do they access CRA files, or are they given them? Or do they extract court or Trust Online data like EuroDebt?

Comment

From previous applications within their brand / partners. They ALL share data now. For example the other day I bought something from Argos and I decided to test by applying for an Argos card. That was declined (lol) but low and behold instant approval for an Argos Credit card. Weird - until you see it's Vanquis. I decided to test it and clicked "proceed" and then got an order confirmation from Argos and delivery of said purchased came the next day. Weird

Nowt from Vanquis yet but it's weird, even though they do advertise the Argos credit card. My point is I applied to Argos aka Home Shopping Group or whatever - so where do Vanquis come in unless the likes of Argos allow them data at order / finance pages?

I'll update the Vanquis limit etc when it comes
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I'll have a think about it, and then take some kind of action early next week before my birthday. I really feel that now is the right time. I didn't want to apply for anything before I'd sorted my business banking out, as that was critical. Now that has been done, it must be the right time to try to get a second credit card. If I get knocked back every time, the searches will still disappear before I am ever likely to want to apply for anything again.

SH

Comment

I still can't get one..... Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

Shouldn't complain really after what I've pulled off over the years.....
                Remember the mantra:
                NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                  I still can't get one..... Waaaaaaaaaaaah!
                  Do you mean you can't get a Crappy One credit card, or that you can't get any credit card? Have you tried Vanquis or Aqua?

If you can't get anything, then the best alternative is a Kalixa Pay prepaid MasterCard. The only difference is that you have to load it up first and spend the money, instead of spending and then paying the bill every month. Of course, using it doesn't improve your credit rating, but on the positive side you don't get your cell phone spammed with messages all the time like you do with Vanquis. I've had one since April 2012, and totally recommend it.

If you've tried Vanquis and been turned down, try again after six months. Have you got defaults dropping off your file from time to time? If so, you never know what might make the difference.

SH

Comment

Right, I've thought the situation out, and here is what I intend to do.

I thought about what Niddy said about applying to TSB, but there is just too much potential risk in that for me. Taking out a credit card with your business bank provider could just jeopardise your livelihood if a real disaster happened. If it was a personal account provider, I wouldn't be worried, as I've got several personal accounts.

I then thought about the possibility of taking a speculative punt on a HaemorrLloyds Advance Card, which is the one they give to new customers. If the manager at TSB said I had an excellent credit rating, and was prepared to offer me a £650 overdraft on a current account, it is more that likely that the bank from which they separated would give me a similar rating. They probably still use the same computer systems.

Another possibility I thought of was the new Tesco Foundation card, which they give to people who are relatively new to credit. That would be useful because it would double as a Clubcard and give me extra points. Apparently, though, it is an extremely small benefit, and being a single man I obviously don't have high shopping bills. I've had my Vanquis Card for 15 months, but nothing else, so I'd presumably still count as “relatively new.”

Then, there was Niddy's excellent suggestion of the Fluid card, which would only record a soft search, and my original suggestion of the Cap One card, which is the usual step up from Vanquis. Barclaycard, and anything to do with Barclays, is a no-go area for me.

Here is what I'll do -

1) Make a speculative appo for a Lloyds Advance Card.

2) If that fails, apply for the Tesco Foundation Card, with one decline.

3) If that fails, go to the Fluid site and see if I can get pre-approved, albeit with two declines.

4) If that fails, apply for Cap One, still only with two declines and the Fluid soft search

Even in the absolute worst case scenario, where I end up with no second card, I'll still have the Vanquis card and only three declines. It is unlikely I would apply for anything else before they disappear from the file.

I'll let you know the final result as soon as it is in. Until then, you can all run a book on what is likely to happen!

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                      Do you mean you can't get a Crappy One credit card, or that you can't get any credit card? Have you tried Vanquis or Aqua?

If you can't get anything, then the best alternative is a Kalixa Pay prepaid MasterCard. The only difference is that you have to load it up first and spend the money, instead of spending and then paying the bill every month. Of course, using it doesn't improve your credit rating, but on the positive side you don't get your cell phone spammed with messages all the time like you do with Vanquis. I've had one since April 2012, and totally recommend it.

If you've tried Vanquis and been turned down, try again after six months. Have you got defaults dropping off your file from time to time? If so, you never know what might make the difference.

SH
                      I've got a Cr*p One card..... but the interest rate is extortionate. I think I've got another year before the last batch of defaults falls off and then I'll get a better one.... no worries.

Might be worth getting hold of my credit files again to see what's still on there.
                      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Ah! I see. Looking for something better.

The interest rate on a Vanquis card is even worse, but it doesn't matter if you never pay any interest. If anything, it is better to have a card with an extortionate rate of interest, because it removes entirely the temptation to leave a balance on it.

If you're looking for a step up from Crappy One, have you tried Creation?

SH

Comment

Not tried Creation, no..... might take a look.
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

I think it must be Noddle that is recommending me to Aqua and Vanquis as I haven't provided details to anyone for a long time.

I don't think I'll bother. It is good fun to fill the return envelope with rubbish and send it back. Just imagine the look of delight on their little faces when they open it to see special offers on pizzas and tradesmen offering new pvc windows. Oh joy!

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
                              I think it must be Noddle that is recommending me to Aqua and Vanquis as I haven't provided details to anyone for a long time.

I don't think I'll bother. It is good fun to fill the return envelope with rubbish and send it back. Just imagine the look of delight on their little faces when they open it to see special offers on pizzas and tradesmen offering new pvc windows. Oh joy!

And a note requesting they use both sides before flushing!

Comment

Working...
                              X