GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

Originally posted by julian View Post
    I think it must be Noddle that is recommending me to Aqua and Vanquis as I haven't provided details to anyone for a long time.

I don't think I'll bother. It is good fun to fill the return envelope with rubbish and send it back. Just imagine the look of delight on their little faces when they open it to see special offers on pizzas and tradesmen offering new pvc windows. Oh joy!
    I did have to think very carefully about whether or not to get involved with credit again. I certainly didn't need to, as I had current accounts with debit cards, a Bank of Baroda saving account with a VISA card, and a Kalixa prepaid MasterCard. I could have completed any transactions I needed to complete for years without ever needing a credit card.

The negative side with Vanquis is the spam. The interest rate doesn't bother me, as I've no intention of ever paying interest. Possibly, once every couple of years, pay off less than the full balance just so they get something for having you as a customer. They try very hard and very aggressively to get you to take out idiotic insurance policies, and even to pay for a credit report on which they presumably get paid a commission.

That is only the telephone spam you have to endure before you sign up. You then get SMS spam every month telling you how much money you've got left to spend (as if you don't bloody know), although with the right cell phone that can be blocked. If you don't cave in to the insurance spam at the start (and you definitely shouldn't), you will also get occasional nuisance calls trying to get you to change your mind.

I use a Two Cell Phone Strategy. I have a cheap second cell phone that I use effectively as a dummy, giving the number to all those who insist on having a cell phone number when they shouldn't. No-one except a trusted contact would ever get my real, personal cell phone number.

Vanquis is a pain, but it can be kept within manageable proportions if you know what to expect in advance, and take the right steps to combat it. It is also a useful step on the rehabilitation ladder, as I'm sure my credit rating would be a lot lower without the green markers from a credit card over the past 15 months.

SH

Comment

Well, I've got the preliminary result. I should know the actual result within ten days, so I'll let you know when it happens.

By the way, SXGuy, I don't think you ever read the birthday threads, but I'll be down in your part of the world tomorrow. My birthday trip for 2014 is to exotic Southend. I'll be putting the train fare on my Vanquis credit card.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
        Well, I've got the preliminary result. I should know the actual result within ten days, so I'll let you know when it happens.

By the way, SXGuy, I don't think you ever read the birthday threads, but I'll be down in your part of the world tomorrow. My birthday trip for 2014 is to exotic Southend. I'll be putting the train fare on my Vanquis credit card.

SH
        nice one - was this for the Lloyds card?
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I've got a Cap One and an Aqua card, both of which I use for shopping and pay off completely each month. The Cap One has a limit of £200 which I am really happy about, but weirdly Aqua have just upped my limit to £2300 and that's from a starting point of £200, I don't mind as I'm strong enough to not go mad with the card anyway and I also need to have that available as my auntie is very ill and once she's back in Australia and starts her chemo I might need to get a flight pretty quickly, so of course the Aqua card will come in handy then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
            I've got a Cap One and an Aqua card, both of which I use for shopping and pay off completely each month. The Cap One has a limit of £200 which I am really happy about, but weirdly Aqua have just upped my limit to £2300 and that's from a starting point of £200, I don't mind as I'm strong enough to not go mad with the card anyway and I also need to have that available as my auntie is very ill and once she's back in Australia and starts her chemo I might need to get a flight pretty quickly, so of course the Aqua card will come in handy then.
            Wow, that's a huge difference in limits. It is strange that yours should be the first post I read as I log on - I've literally just left the Beach Hut, and I'm typing this on the seat just outside!

SH

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
              nice one - was this for the Lloyds card?
              I can give you the result now. Do NOT let Niddy see this post, because he is sure to keel over and faint!

This was the preliminary result -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prelim-result.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	1401698

Yesterday, I got home from my birthday trip to find a letter sticking out of the box. It was a confirmation letter telling me that I'd got the card, and it also contained the PIN number. I don't have the card yet, but they must be serious about sending it if they've given me the PIN number.

During the appo process, the form actually asked me what credit limit I would find useful if I was accepted for the card. I didn't know what to put. Something like £200 might have been reasonable, but I wondered whether putting an amount that low might actually work against me. I decided to push it and put £500, which is what Vanquis had given me the previous year.

Guess what? They gave me a £1,000 limit! Now, I know for sure that banks are completely nuts.

I only made the appo for this card as speculative punt. Banks hate self-employed people, and I don't have a long trading history. I also live as a tenant and not a home owner. Why is a mainstream lender giving me a credit card with a £1,000 limit? I promise I didn't lie on the form.

None of it makes any sense, but there you are. It represents another victory for the Niddy rehabilitation system. The green markers from Vanquis over the past 15 months must have helped.

The only problem with having a Lloyds card is that you can't use it in Tesco for shopping - it has got a picture of a horse on it!

SH

Comment

Excellent news! I have heard credit on (newly) self - employed people can be difficult, so well done on that!

I am also hoping to get a Lloyds credit card to balance transfer debt from 2 cards, so just waiting to see it (hopefully !) pop up at the bottom of the screen when i log in one day (i use them for everyday banking) saying i have been pre-approved.

Happy days!
                When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I so nearly got a birthday card this year!

The PIN number arrived on my birthday, and the card arrived the following day. I'll post a picture when I've activated it and removed the activation sticker from the front.

You can even activate the card online - no need for phones as there was with Vanquis.

What stage are you at with your rehabilitation, SA Gold? Have you still got a damaged credit file? In any case, you'll need a different card from the one I applied for. I noticed that Lloyds had balance transfer cards, but I didn't look at them too closely because I've got no balance to transfer.

SH

Comment

What stage are you at with your rehabilitation, SA Gold? Have you still got a damaged credit file? In any case, you'll need a different card from the one I applied for. I noticed that Lloyds had balance transfer cards, but I didn't look at them too closely because I've got no balance to transfer.

SH

Hi.
                    My last default was June 2011 so i am hoping to get a balance transfer card soon. Niddy advised to phone Lloyds/call in to the branch to check eligibility as it won't credit search me: just say which of their products i am approved for as current account customer.
                    Will call up/go in after 15th of the month to check as i have followed AAD advice and been paying Cr@p1 one off and others (DD set to minimum and then log in and pay more via card) so hoping i should be OK sometime soon!

Comment

Interesting. Have you got any chance of getting a mainstream credit card with defaults still on your file? It is not my area of expertise, I'm afraid. Niddy would know a lot more. I did notice that Lloyds only mentioned bankruptcies, IVAs and CCJs on their online form, so maybe with defaults you have got a chance. No harm in asking, I suppose, if it won't leave any searches. Good luck!

I wonder if I could try that with Santander? I've had one of their current accounts ever since they swallowed up Alliance & Leicester, and the account itself is nine years old. Maybe I could go into one of their branches to see if they could offer me anything?

As far as my own Lloyds card goes – I've just activated it this morning, and gained access to the online banking. I've still got to wander over to the branch and change the PIN number to something more memorable. As soon as I've removed the activation sticker, I'll post up a picture.

SH

Comment

If you have Santander mate, login and it'll be under My Offers (top right corner) if you're guaranteed anything (card / loan etc)....

Mine shows this just now....

Name:	Santander.png
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1401724
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          If you have Santander mate, login and it'll be under My Offers (top right corner) if you're guaranteed anything (card / loan etc)....

Mine shows this just now....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14382[/ATTACH]
                          Oh, nuts! I've already looked at that, and there is nothing there apart from a cell phone app.

It doesn't really matter, though, because I've already got everything I need. I suppose in the ideal world I'd swap Vanquis for something more mainstream, but as I never run up a balance it scarcely matters.

Thanks for the tip, though!

SH

Comment

Interesting. Have you got any chance of getting a mainstream credit card with defaults still on your file? It is not my area of expertise, I'm afraid. Niddy would know a lot more. I did notice that Lloyds only mentioned bankruptcies, IVAs and CCJs on their online form, so maybe with defaults you have got a chance. No harm in asking, I suppose, if it won't leave any searches. Good luck!

To my knowledge mate, most lending (aside from mortgage) is a three year search for adverse history.
                            The Cap1 card i've got already is mainstream, albeit their starter one. I followed the AAD protocol of using Granite to build up some history after defaulting and then went for Creation and Cap1 which was approved.
                            Niddys advice is to go for a credit card with your own bank after you have followed this process so i am pleased to see Lloyds are doing 18 and 24 month interest free balance transfers.
                            Thanks for the good wishes, SH - i'll keep you posted

Comment

Here's a picture of the card I got -

Name:	lloyds-card.jpg
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	1401730

You can do balance transfers onto this card - there is a button in the online banking section, so they are actually encouraging you to do that. I suppose they want you paying interest to them and not someone else.

It won't be the right card for you, though, because they've got special cards for balance transfers. I'm sure you know all that already!

SH

Comment

well done, looking good
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X