GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of applying for a Crap One credit card!

Thanks, mate! I'm sure this would never have been possible without the Niddy rehabilitation system and going through the Vanquis stage. I didn't have to go through JD Williams, and I was able to bypass Cap One and Creation by getting this Lloyds card.

I've got some more credit card news now!

After I was surprisingly approved for the Lloyds card, I had to rethink my position altogether. I'd been able to bypass the second sub-prime stage (Cap One) and go straight from Vanquis to mainstream lenders.

What next? In the ideal world, I suppose I would have three credit cards – Lloyds, Tesco and one other. A Tesco card would be useful as I do most of my shopping there, and even though the Clubcard benefits are not supposed to be great, I may as well have them as not. I know there are some people who've got nine or ten credit cards and who collect them as a hobby, but I think any more than three just gives you an administrative headache.

The Tesco Foundation card was second on my list, and I would have applied for it if Lloyds had not gone through. As it did, I had to decide whether to make another speculative appo for a Tesco card, albeit with one extra search registered on the file. I also had to decide, in the light of being approved for a mainstream card, whether to try for one of the purchase cards available to people with good credit histories, instead of the Foundation Card.

According to the Tesco site, you cannot apply for a purchase card if you've applied for any Tesco card within the last six months. However, you are only excluded from applying for a Foundation Card if you have applied for that specific card within the last six months. Therefore, it made sense to try one of the purchase cards first, because if that failed to go through the Foundation Card would still have been a possibility.

Here is the preliminary result -

Click image for larger version

Name:	tesco.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1401736

(if anyone is wondering why this screen shot looks completely different from the earlier one, it because this is a Windows 7 shot, and the other one is Linux Mint)

I was sure this would be a decline after the Lloyds card went through giving me another £1,000, but it wasn't. They've given me a £600 limit, and they've also given me an APR rate which is much higher that the one quoted. That is reasonable given the risk profile I must have – self-employed and living as a tenant.

This is a fantastic result – it means I've got to the target I was attempting to reach in one go. I've now got three credit cards – Lloyds, Tesco and one other. Maybe Vanquis isn't the perfect third card, but it is perfectly good enough given that I never pay any interest.

I certainly won't be applying for anything else for a very long time. The record of these searches from a hectic September and October will be long gone before I bother another lender again, if I ever do. I suppose I could always monitor the Santander site just to see if they pre-approve me for their purchase card, but it is probably not likely. It is interesting that Lloyds, with whom I've never had an account, were prepared to give me a card with a low APR and a high limit, whereas Santander, who I've had a current account with since they took over A&L, have apparently not pre-approved me for anything.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that it is possible to get credit, even from a mainstream lender, as a self-employed person with virtually no accounts, and as a tenant.

SH
    Last edited by ScabHunter; 7 October 2014, 10:20.

Comment

well done, have you just applied for that just now? lol
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Sunday. I suppose they can still change their minds with a manual review, so I'm not counting my chickens yet. They said 5-10 days for the PIN and the card to arrive.

If I get it, that will complete my rehabilitation, which has taken between seven and eight years. I was lucky, in that I was able to keep my Alliance & Leicester/Santander current account throughout the troubles, so I always had the use of a cheque book and a VISA card.

The only time I could see myself needing anything more is if my business starts coining in serious money, which would be a very nice problem to have! In that case, I'd probably want an Aldermore Bank Business Savings Account, so I could earn interest on any cash reserves instead of keeping them in a current account. Getting that should be a formality as it won't be credit scored, but anyway that is a long way off at the moment.

SH

Comment

SH - reading aldermore bank; which savings account do you want? Is it the easy access?

Does it come with a card to withdraw and when it says the only source to fund the account is your nominated one, that means you'd need a current account to open their savings account.

Thoughts?

ps with your business tsb account does that come with a card etc?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

No, you don't get a card with it. You just move money between your business current account and the savings account. It just means you'd earn a little bit of interest on any cash reserves instead of earning nothing.

You certainly don't need it unless you're coining in thousands, so any need for it in my case is a long way away. It's just something I might possibly want in the future if everything goes exceptionally well.

SH

Comment

Excellent news SH, well done!
              As you say, the AAD rehabilitation process works! Onwards and upwards

PS Are you self employed, or limited? Reason i ask, i know a lot of self employed people who say just use a normal bank account for as long as you can as soon as the bank know you are self employed will force a business account on you (with associated charges).
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                Excellent news SH, well done!
                As you say, the AAD rehabilitation process works! Onwards and upwards

PS Are you self employed, or limited? Reason i ask, i know a lot of self employed people who say just use a normal bank account for as long as you can as soon as the bank know you are self employed will force a business account on you (with associated charges).
                Thanks.

I'm self-employed sole trader. I know what you're saying about using a personal account, but it really does depend on the type of business you are running. A lot of companies in the offline world won't write cheques or make payments to personal accounts, and if you operate online you've got to be able to set up merchant accounts or payment processors. In my case, I really need a business account, and with TSB I've got 18 months free banking anyway.

SH

Comment

Yesterday, I received the Tesco credit card which completes my rehabilitation from alleged debt problems. I got a £600 limit on this one. They have given me a much higher APR than standard, presumably to offset the higher risk involved with a self-employed tenant. I don't really care because I've got no intention of running up a balance. The fact that it comes with a Clubcard function will give me a slight benefit when it comes to paying for food.

So, I've bypassed the Capital One stage and reached my target in one go. I've got three credit cards - Lloyds, Tesco, and one other. Vanquis will do as the third card, as I never pay their ultra-high interest and I've blocked their PPI spam.

Here is the Tesco card -

Name:	tcc.jpg
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	1401850

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                    Thanks.

I'm self-employed sole trader. I know what you're saying about using a personal account, but it really does depend on the type of business you are running. A lot of companies in the offline world won't write cheques or make payments to personal accounts, and if you operate online you've got to be able to set up merchant accounts or payment processors. In my case, I really need a business account, and with TSB I've got 18 months free banking anyway.

SH
                    yeah, that's fair enough mate. Onwards and upwards as they say!
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

LOL

You're a bad influence, I decided to apply to Natwest (why????)

Name:	natwest_confirm.png
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1401856

I am more than happy with Santander but thought I'd test the water!

Comment

I now have 2 Santander, 3 hbos, 1 coventry, 1 tsb, 1 bank of Cyprus, 1 nationwide and 1 natwest current account.

Is there really any need

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          I now have 2 Santander, 3 hbos, 1 coventry, 1 tsb, 1 bank of Cyprus, 1 nationwide and 1 natwest current account.

Is there really any need

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

Is there really any need
                            I've been working so bloody hard on my own sites today I've not had time to check my AAD threads.

I think we'd all like to know exactly why you've got so many accounts. Do you have such a complex structure that you actually need them? Are any of them business accounts? Can you find enough transactions every month to warrant having that many? If not, do the banks ever get irked by you having accounts which are dormant for long periods?

I thought I probably had one current account too many before I got the TSB one, and I haven't got anywhere near the number you've got. Of course, I haven't got a family or a vehicle or a lot of the other things which need huge budgets, and as my business is in the starting phase I need to save every penny I can. It is obviously your choice how much you want to share, but I'd be fascinated to know what the philosophy is behind having so many accounts.

And, especially, why you need three current accounts with the same bank! Why do they even allow that?

SH

Comment

Ok long story short...

1 x Santander 123 account - my main account that earns me money in paying bills etc;
                              1 x Santander Everyday account - my spending account. I put £500 per month into it;
                              1 x Bank of Cyprus - I use this as the business account
                              1 x Nationwide - was a flex account but now called cash account so I only use it for online gambling / topping up my Ladbrokes account;
                              3 x HBOS are linked to business / PayPal transactions (eBay etc) and used sparingly;
                              1 x Coventry First - my personal and 15 year account. My back up bank

The two new ones (TSB & Natwest) are just testers to see if I get approved. I'll probably get declined yet as I still have 4 defaults - 2 within 18 months as I told HSBC to get lost - those accounts are defaulted too (cos they also peed me off).

Comment

Seems natwest account is there. Logged on this morning to internet banking. Coolio.

Still, AVU might close it yet

Comment

Working...
                                X