GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script JD Williams are Screwing up my life - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JD Williams are Screwing up my life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD Williams are Screwing up my life

After spending the last few days online researching a resolution to this matter, I have concluded that posting to this forum, is likely to be my best hope. So your assistance is very much going to be appreciated.

We urgently need a mortgage (for reasons I will explain in a later post to this thread). We applied a few weeks ago to Natwest and were refused. We were advised the reason for refusal was an entry on my credit file.
    Upon checking the files of my wife and myself, we found that JD Williams had placed a default on my file.
    Bit if history,
    I set up an account with JD Williams (Fashion World) back in 2000. This was set up online and I never signed any agreement with them. Over the years I have bought thousands of pounds worth of goods from them and apart from the odd missing parcel found their service to be fine. As I always paid on time via Direct Debit, over the years my credit limit with them increased to over £5,000.
    In November 2010 my balance with them was just under £200 so I made some new purchases as gifts for Christmas to the tune of £700. When I got my statement in January 2011 I noticed it was higher than expected and there were charges on there for late payments. I contacted them and they said it was an error and would be removed. Then in when Februarys statement arrived the balance had increased further. I contacted them again, and this time they advised me that “I had contacted them in December and cancelled the direct debit”. I informed them that this was not the case and that the DD was still in place (I accessed my online banking and confirmed that it was still set up). They continued to argue that I had requested it be cancelled and that I had to pay via an alternative method. I again stated that I had not contacted them at all in December, in fact not in the whole of 2010 as I did all my ordering online. I at this point informed them that I would only setup a new payment method if they removed the late payment charges, this they refused to do, stating that they would pass the matter to their collections department.
    Then started the barrage of phone calls and threatening letters, I again contacted them by phone to explain my position, they remained adamant that I had cancelled the DD. I then started to get letters threatening legal action, I responded to these, by advising that “this account was in dispute” and that I would recommence payments only when the erroneous charges were removed. That was around June 2011 and I have heard nothing since then.
    I now realise by reading on this forum and elsewhere that the reason they have not probably pursued this matter further is that the debt is unenforceable as it was setup online before Dec 2004 and there is no signed agreement between us.
    As mentioned, I no longer get any letters from Fashion World, however according to my credit file my account with them stands at £1388.00. I have the means to clear this account as a single payment, however I have been advised that if I do, it will not be removed from my file, it will just show as being satisfied. This I am told will almost certainly be a barrier to my securing the mortgage I so urgently need.
    I am considering now writing to Fashion World, offering to clear the account on the proviso that they remove the entry from my credit file. But before I do this I wanted to check with the knowledgeable folks on this forum to check this was the best course of action.
    I have already contacted the CRA who have advised that they cannot remove the entry unless the request comes from JD Williams.
    Unless I can get this off my file in the next few weeks we are going to be homeless, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Why we urgently need a mortgage !

We moved into house in 2001 as tenants, in 2005 the roof started to leak and the boiler gave in. The landlord advised us he was not in a position to carry out the repairs, and he was intending to sell the properly.
    At the time my wife was still looking after our children so was not in paid employment. We could not secure a sufficient mortgage on my salary alone, so were all set to have to move out. Then a relative offered to assist us.
    We provided a £20k deposit and our relative took out a mortgage in their name for the remainder of the asking price of £82k. The mortgage is with the Bradford and Bingley who have now gone to the wall. We have lived in the house and paid the mortgage and all other cost since then, including quite extensive renovations.
    For a totally separate family matter we have now become estranged with this relative and we have received solicitor’s letters telling us that she wants the mortgage in her name cleared or she will put the properly up for sale.
    We have explained the issue with the credit file, but she insists the matter be resolved in the next two months or we will have to move out.
    This is why there is the urgency to get the matter resolved.

Comment

Re: JD Williams are Screwing up my life

Unfortunately the default will stay - no matter what you do because it was a true reflection of the account conduct and as such, it'll remain there and JDW will never authorise it's removal whether you pay or not.

Sorry mate, the damage is done. That will be with you for 6yrs - when is the actual default date?

Can the FOS help? Only if you can prove they made a mistake to start with and that you paid but they defaulted you - otherwise, it'll stay.

McGuffick v RBS also clarifies this point.

Sorry.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Is this the only blemish on your Credit, it seems veryharsh for one default to have that big of an impact!

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
          Is this the only blemish on your Credit, it seems veryharsh for one default to have that big of an impact!
          Not really. A default shows bad money management thus considering a mortgage is for life; you have to earn it. That's why we're in a global recession lets not forget.

I'm anti banks blah blah but I understand the logistics and having any judgment (default or county court) should be a barrier to higher borrowing such as mortgages.

The new rules don't help much either (almost impossible to get one)! However we do have a mortgage person on here whom I'll authorise now to pm the op if he can offer any help. Am sure he'll know a few lenders that may help a defaulted borrower.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

yes only the JDW one

this is what it looks like
            Attached Files

Comment

It's gonna stay till Dec 2016.

Ok try speaking to natpest and explain you didn't know about this and being it was an error and the fact you're able to provide proof of settlement; would they then approve the mortgage.

Basically put it to them that you'll clear this account ASAP if the underwriters will make an offer.. If they agree then pay the defaulted account and get proof; then get the mortgage. .

Comment

Crazy when we bought our house DH had old CCJ's not fallen off etc and defaults from a mobile company and we got a mortgage... i guess times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                  i guess times have changed.
                  Just a little

* worldwide recession based in no part around sub-prime lending (mortgages) - ya think that might have something to do with it?

Comment

What sort of agreement did you have with the relative , you did pay the deposit after all and I think it would be bloody hard to get you out of the property as sitting tenants.

Comment

It was an informal agreement as it was always our intention to take out a mortgage ourselves, after my wife returned to work.
                      What complicates the matter is that the mortgage was only taken out for 7 years, my relative was 63 at the time and the lender would only do it until the age of 70. The lender has now ceased issuing new mortgages (taken over by uk government) so we cannot even ask for it just to be transferred.
                      There is no dispute about the equity we have in the property, there is documentation to prove this. Its just that she wants the mortgage cleared before the 7 years is up.

Comment

Just a quick update regarding this issue for you amusement,

On the remote possibility of a resolution, I wrote to JD Williams last week, offering to pay the full balance less the erroneous charges, (about £1,100) on the condition that the following actions will be carried out;

• The Default Notice will be removed
                        • The Status of the account will change from “Defaulted” to “Settled”
                        • The Current Balance will appear as £0.00
                        • The Default / Delinquent Balance will be set to £0.00
                        • There will be no date in the “Defaulted Date” field (as it will be removed)
                        • There will be no date in the “Date Last Delinquent” field on the report
                        • This will apply to all 3 Credit Reference Agencies, namely Experian, Equifax & Call Credit

Today I get a letter from Advanced Investigation Services (Bromsgrove), advising that I will get a doorstep collection officer calling in the next 7 days for me to explain why the account is unpaid.

I have this evening called this outfit and the offered me to make a full and final settlement of (wait for it) £544.95, but they could not do anything about the credit file, that was a matter for JD Williams to resolve.

What do you think my chances are of getting any response from JDW, have they sold this dept off already and have no further interest in the matter, or do you think my offer of £1100 will be snapped up as it appears that they are currently prepared to accept less than half the amount from a collection agency ?

Comment

Do NOT do anything verbally.

Sod the credit file. That's done now however I would ring back and ask for their offer in writing then lets see it - just to make sure nothing untoward happens

Comment

Originally posted by onceceltic View Post
                            Just a quick update regarding this issue for you amusement,

On the remote possibility of a resolution, I wrote to JD Williams last week, offering to pay the full balance less the erroneous charges, (about £1,100) on the condition that the following actions will be carried out;

• The Default Notice will be removed
                            • The Status of the account will change from “Defaulted” to “Settled”
                            • The Current Balance will appear as £0.00
                            • The Default / Delinquent Balance will be set to £0.00
                            • There will be no date in the “Defaulted Date” field (as it will be removed)
                            • There will be no date in the “Date Last Delinquent” field on the report
                            • This will apply to all 3 Credit Reference Agencies, namely Experian, Equifax & Call Credit

Today I get a letter from Advanced Investigation Services (Bromsgrove), advising that I will get a doorstep collection officer calling in the next 7 days for me to explain why the account is unpaid.

I have this evening called this outfit and the offered me to make a full and final settlement of (wait for it) £544.95, but they could not do anything about the credit file, that was a matter for JD Williams to resolve.

What do you think my chances are of getting any response from JDW, have they sold this dept off already and have no further interest in the matter, or do you think my offer of £1100 will be snapped up as it appears that they are currently prepared to accept less than half the amount from a collection agency ?
                            To get a mortgage we need to get the default removed , so in my view if JD will take the offer the extra £500 is well spent to clean up your credit history. One question though has the other outfit purchased the debt and if so do they have the right to remove the default?????

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                              To get a mortgage we need to get the default removed , so in my view if JD will take the offer the extra £500 is well spent to clean up your credit history. One question though has the other outfit purchased the debt and if so do they have the right to remove the default?????
                              Ok, I see what you're saying regards mortgage - however in line with McGuffick v RBS the default will stay, I doubt JDW will remove it for anything, from experience they just don't work like that and would rather piss you off to cut their own noses off to spite their face - seriously!

I suspect JDW have already sold the rights (collection only) to a third party which means that they will have purchased it at anything from 12p in the £1 thus they can and will make crazy offers simply to get rid and make an easy few quid. This assumes partial assignment which means they can take over the collection of the debt but have no effect on the status (ie the default).

If however they have purchased the debt in totality and have total assignment then you can try haggling with the DCA for default removal if you pay more, but similarly, most of them refuse to remove a default.

Really, you're kinda snookered.

As an aside, I was contacted by a manager at JDW the other day, they also joined our forum, however due to the nature of the beast I have restricted their access as I don't feel such representatives will offer anything other than confusion to our forum - they cannot and will not do anything, as they are a nightmare at the best of times.

See this for further details: ---> New and confused - Page 46 - allaboutFORUMS

Comment

Working...
                              X