GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script our house - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

our house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• our house

Just worked out what we take from business each month and its less than what we would recieve from jsa and mortgage help.

One big problem we have here is that for the past few years we haven't paid NIC so would we qualify for any help ?

We haven't decided to close the business yet but its looking that way , but we just don't want to take that step and end up with absolutley nothing at all .
    This has been the worse year ever its not made us much and we haven't seen it improve so far . Only slightly the past few weeks but its back down again and worse .

Does anyone know if we can claim anything ?

Re: business is bad again

I'm not sure regarding self-employment but I know you can get income-based jsa and contributions based jsa. You obviously wouldn't qualify for contributions based but I'm not sure about income-based.

Have you looked at direct.gov.uk? There is an online benefit adviser Benefits adviser service : Directgov - Do it online

It may be worth making an appointment to see someone at the local jobcentre.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
      I'm not sure regarding self-employment but I know you can get income-based jsa and contributions based jsa. You obviously wouldn't qualify for contributions based but I'm not sure about income-based.

Have you looked at direct.gov.uk? There is an online benefit adviser Benefits adviser service : Directgov - Do it online

It may be worth making an appointment to see someone at the local jobcentre.

Hi, thanks, i have looked on the benefits adviser online and it dosen't help. Hubby phoned Job centre plus but they couldn't help either , apart from advising that hubby could possibly claim income-based, not sure what the difference is but will have a search and see.
      I also did the online benefits calculator on turn2us but income-based isn't an option it only gives the option of income-related and income support.

Comment

Contributions-based is based on your NI contributions (I think for the previous year).

Income-based,as it says, is based on the income you have coming in eg if you received interest on savings or perhaps rented out a house, this would be deducted from your jsa.

There's no difference between the two in the amounts payable.

It's ridiculous that the jobcentre is unable to give you any advice on what you can claim.

Maybe go and see Citizen's Advice Bureau and see if they can help?
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
          Contributions-based is based on your NI contributions (I think for the previous year).

Income-based,as it says, is based on the income you have coming in eg if you received interest on savings or perhaps rented out a house, this would be deducted from your jsa.

There's no difference between the two in the amounts payable.

It's ridiculous that the jobcentre is unable to give you any advice on what you can claim.

Maybe go and see Citizen's Advice Bureau and see if they can help?

I just filled in the form on the gov website and clicked get results and it said 'sorry this is unavailable' i could have screamed .

Comment

went to C.A.B yestrday and it seems we can claim income related jsa, and we would get some help with the mortgage, but we would have to find £40 a week towards the interest as the help is only on a rate of 3.63% .

We are thinking of letting the house go because even with the help we would't be able to keep it . jsa is £111.45 a week so out of that we need to pay £40 , dosn't leave much to live on .

The other option is this .
            if we let the house go we can get a 3 bed house for around £360 a month and we would get £49 of that paid if we kept the business going, we would be able to manage with the working tax credits . It's the only option now we have tried everything to make ends meet and to keep the business going , it seems the mortgage is too expensive even on interest only .

Strange how the government help rent while in work but not mortgage.

Comment

Just a thought, but have you considered letting out your house to cover the mortgage for a couple of years while renting somewhere else smaller/cheaper for yourselves in the meantime. You may/may not get HB to pay your rent on the next place but see if the maths could work A lot of people are doing this while they ride out the storm and will be able to go back 'home' when finances improve
              Last edited by PlanB; 14 August 2012, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                Just a thought, but have you considered letting out your house to cover the mortgage for a couple of years while renting somewhere else smaller/cheaper for yourselves in the meantime. You may/may not get HB to pay your rent on the next place but see if the maths could work A lot of people are doing this while they ride out the storm and will be able to go back 'home' when finances improve
                thanks , but our mortgage provider won't allow us to rent it out , we are with kensington and they have this in the terms and conditions. The housing benefit is a huge help for us and it will keep us from losing the business .

Comment

You don't have to tell Kensington you're renting it out. Set up Royal Mail re-direct and they won't know a thing

You can still get HB even if you've got a property rented out because HB is means tested, so if your tenant's rent simply covers your mortgage and you don't make a profit then you have 0 income from it. You can also get HB as self-employed based on your income "forecast". Always good to provide a bad forecast

You'll still get WTC as self-employed based on a prediction too.

My bio isn't "Been There Done That" for no reason

Comment

You don't have to tell Kensington you're renting it out. Set up Royal Mail re-direct and they won't know a thing

You can still get HB even if you've got a property rented out because HB is means tested, so if your tenant's rent simply covers your mortgage and you don't make a profit then you have 0 income from it. You can also get HB as self-employed based on your income "forecast". Always good to provide a bad forecast

i never knew that, wow thank you .

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                      i never knew that, wow thank you .
                      Well you do now

Comment

If my son rented my house could he still claim HB ?

Comment

I thought it was cos you'd literally been there and done that

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Plan B your housing expertise is amazing. All the help you give us all here including myself is as always spot on.

Spent yes he could if you draw up a formal agreement so that the hb dept at council can see its an actual rental not just a let live sort of thing. I looked at this all a few yrs back when my mum was looking to sell her house.
                            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                              Plan B your housing expertise is amazing. All the help you give us all here including myself is as always spot on.
                              Agreed, she knows her cookies mate - as we like to brag, we have those that know here - not armchair solicitors

Thanks planB - as always
                              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X