GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems

I have been recently experiencing a fair few wireless drops and also router losing connection

Plusnet are adamant that there is no issue here and seem to think that i have a perfectly good line (although im stuck with 2-3meg, 8 houses down the road can get fibre and get 80meg) and even attempted to tell me that there has been no loss in connection only me rebooting the router. Even their little annoying picture that shows connection starts and end times shows no connection failures.

Although a gap of more than 5minutes kinda shows a problem if you ask me.

Just wondering what a suggested next step is as i have had them plague me with do a speed test all the time and its not a speed issue.

Im out of my contract with them and dont really wanna take a new contract until we have moved otherwise gonna have same issue again i reckon
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
    Im out of my contract with them and dont really wanna take a new contract until we have moved otherwise gonna have same issue again i reckon
    Just leave it till you move mate, see what is available there as you may end up moving closer/further to an exchange which then affects everything

I'd be waiting, you're not staying there long are you
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

my only real bug bear it that its not like once a day disconnections and wireless drops its like 5-10 times in a day.

Also router was bought via Littlewoods and only in april so should i just contact Dlink under warrenty??
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

my only real bug bear it that its not like once a day disconnections and wireless drops its like 5-10 times in a day.

Also router was bought via Littlewoods and only in april so should i just contact Dlink under warrenty??
        Have you googled this mate?

--> Dlink router keeps dropping wireless - Neowin Forums

--> An Error Has Occurred!

Search --> Let me google that for you

But yea, if it's dropping connectivity (wired) then something is wrong. If it's dropping it (wireless) it could be anything, such as a lead wall/large buildings/all sorts.....

Also, are you close to the exchange?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

an odd one as well i have just had to reboot router and my d/l jumped from 2952kbps to 3470kbps

also about 10 days ago upload jumped from 443 to 880

gonna ring Dlink later as i've found out that i'm stuck with a incorrectly described model

mine actually looks like the dsl-2740b whereas it is definitely the 2740r

Comment

distance wise from exchange i am 2.34km away straight line but 4.34km cabled

Comment

ok, down the road have fibre optic, has nothing to do with your adsl speeds, two seperate things.

They will always have better speeds than you.

wireless will always drop when router loses a connection, as they are both connected that way.

With my virgin all in one router and wireless network it was a known bug (by users, virgin wont admit it) had to get another wireless router and connect it to the modem, switch the modem to disable wireless ability so it used both, but i dont think you have the option.

My guess is, to many people on your street are broadcasting on the same channel, causing yours to drop connection, im beting your router is set to default channel 1.

log in to your router and change the broadcast setting to something high like 7 (most people wont even know to change this so they are all stuck on chan 1 - 5)

save, your router will either reboot, or you will need to do this manually.

this "should" fix connection dropping issues.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

the wireless channel has been on 13 since i got it. the only other wireless router around is a BT Home Hub and its on channel 1

Comment

Firmware current? If not, its the first think d-link will ask you to do.
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
                    Firmware current? If not, its the first think d-link will ask you to do.
                    this is where some of the problem lies

There seems to be some confusion between Dlink's website and also their routers and which is which model and then there is also slight different HW revisions

I believe my Model is classed as dsl-2740r b1 and therefore no firmware i have d/l has worked for it.

Tad annoying to say least.

I think when we move i will look at hardwiring everything especially as i'll need to look at getting a new desktop capable of H/W virtualiation sp i can learn unix and sun coding (depending on which apprenticeship i end up getting) or even running a small 2008/2012 server system along with SQL and Exchange etc.

Interesting times ahead needless to say

Comment

this is where some of the problem lies

There seems to be some confusion between Dlink's website and also their routers and which is which model and then there is also slight different HW revisions

I believe my Model is classed as dsl-2740r b1 and therefore no firmware i have d/l has worked for it.

Tad annoying to say least.
                      When you say confusion, do you mean the model listed on the device you have isn't exactly the same as the one on the D-Link site here?

I think when we move i will look at hardwiring everything especially as i'll need to look at getting a new desktop capable of H/W virtualiation sp i can learn unix and sun coding (depending on which apprenticeship i end up getting) or even running a small 2008/2012 server system along with SQL and Exchange etc.

Interesting times ahead needless to say
                      Sounds like a plan! I have a Dell T100 server at home for that very purpose. Just check the spec of anything you plan to purchase and make sure the processor is visualization capable. Also, bear in mind the memory expansion - as you get to play with it, you may want more virtual machines running at the same time which will need more memory. If you get a server, opposed to a desktop, all but the most basic will have 8 dimm's allowing you to expand cheaply (in comparison) - compared to a desktop board which normally have 4 (some 6)

Does that make sense? lol
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Its likely the model number is different because its been re-branded as a plusnet router.

You could, i guess, email them and ask for the adsl settings, buy a new one (linksys never let me down) and apply the settings to it.

But, if the prob still happens then you wasted your money, so its a chance you take i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                          Its likely the model number is different because its been re-branded as a plusnet router.

You could, i guess, email them and ask for the adsl settings, buy a new one (linksys never let me down) and apply the settings to it.

But, if the prob still happens then you wasted your money, so its a chance you take i guess.
                          this isnt one provided by plusnet

i bought it in april

i have infact never used a plusnet router although one did get sent out to me but i already had a dlink dsl-2640 so used that. i think the one plusnet provided was a thomson but i think it got chucked out when we moved here.

Comment

i think the one plusnet provided was a thomson but i think it got chucked out when we moved here.
                            Shame, the Thomson's are generally quite reliable.

Comment

I had the thomson router when i was with O2.

It wasnt bad.

Had issues with getting XBox to work with it, no DMC settings, so had to use port forwarding, but was fine once that got sorted.

Comment

Working...
                              X