GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plusnet & Dlink dsl-2740 problems

Hi there,

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
    I have been recently experiencing a fair few wireless drops and also router losing connection

Plusnet are adamant that there is no issue here and seem to think that i have a perfectly good line (although im stuck with 2-3meg, 8 houses down the road can get fibre and get 80meg) and even attempted to tell me that there has been no loss in connection only me rebooting the router. Even their little annoying picture that shows connection starts and end times shows no connection failures.

Although a gap of more than 5minutes kinda shows a problem if you ask me.
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. Worth noting that a very quick signal drop/re-sync may not show on our RADIUS graphing. This is to do with the frequency of the accounting packets that are sent to us to tell us if your connection is up or down.

Just wondering what a suggested next step is as i have had them plague me with do a speed test all the time and its not a speed issue.
    Probably things we've already suggested but make sure you're plugged into your master socket, avoid the use of extension cabling and swap the filter you're using. If possible try connecting to the test socket to rule out a problem/interference caused by your local wiring.

Also router was bought via Littlewoods and only in april so should i just contact Dlink under warrenty??
    If you suspect the router then we may be able to send you a Technicolor 582n on request. You'd need to cover the postage costs though I believe.

an odd one as well i have just had to reboot router and my d/l jumped from 2952kbps to 3470kbps

also about 10 days ago upload jumped from 443 to 880
    That suggests that either:

You've been moved from ADSL1 to ADSL2+, or
    We've just uncapped the upload speed of your line (something we're currently doing in bulk).

It also provides evidence that the connection is dropping. The sync speed cannot change without a disconnect/reconnect.

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    wireless will always drop when router loses a connection, as they are both connected that way.
    Not true. The wireless should stay up. The LAN connection between a wireless device and the router is completely separate to the WAN connection between the router and the ISP. You can prove this by browsing to your router interface from a connected wireless device when the Internet connection drops

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    log in to your router and change the broadcast setting to something high like 7 (most people wont even know to change this so they are all stuck on chan 1 - 5)
    That's good advice. I'd suggest 1,6 or 11 though to avoid overlap. A good method of testing your wireless connectivity is to run an extended ping to the router. From a command line (where 192.168.1.1 is the LAN address of your router):

Code:
    > ping 192.168.1.1 -t
    You'll see something like this (Press CTRL and 'C' to stop it):

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32>ping 192.168.1.254 -t

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
    If the connection between the device and the router gets flaky then the response time will increase. Timeouts or anything > ~60ms is likely to start causing you problems. Might be worth checking each of the above channels and seeing which one gives the lowest response time.

Having suggested this, it's still not going to stop your actual Internet connection from dropping. That's a separate issue entirely.

Hope some of that helps.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by bobpullen View Post
      Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Worth noting that a very quick signal drop/re-sync may not show on our RADIUS graphing. This is to do with the frequency of the accounting packets that are sent to us to tell us if your connection is up or down.
      That would seem the most logical reasoning behind that then

Probably things we've already suggested but make sure you're plugged into your master socket, avoid the use of extension cabling and swap the filter you're using. If possible try connecting to the test socket to rule out a problem/interference caused by your local wiring.
      New build that Openreach redid wiring and placed an actual master socket for me, also router is less than 1m away from socket so no extentsion cables, changed filter (no difference)

If you suspect the router then we may be able to send you a Technicolor 582n on request. You'd need to cover the postage costs though I believe.
      I was told needed to take a deferred 12month contract and pay for P&P

That suggests that either:

You've been moved from ADSL1 to ADSL2+, or
      We've just uncapped the upload speed of your line (something we're currently doing in bulk).

It also provides evidence that the connection is dropping. The sync speed cannot change without a disconnect/reconnect.
      Although normal practice is for this disconnect to lower the downstream speed mine has increased on the last 4 disconnect/reconnects by almost 1000k now stands at 3470 d/l and 827 u/l
      So being placed onto ADSL2 (which is what router says) sounds like most likely option

Not true. The wireless should stay up. The LAN connection between a wireless device and the router is completely separate to the WAN connection between the router and the ISP. You can prove this by browsing to your router interface from a connected wireless device when the Internet connection drops
      This depends on the chipset in the Router as i know of a fair few makes and models that see a WAN disconnection and then Disconnect LAN & WLAN.

That's good advice. I'd suggest 1,6 or 11 though to avoid overlap. A good method of testing your wireless connectivity is to run an extended ping to the router. From a command line (where 192.168.1.1 is the LAN address of your router):

Code:
      > ping 192.168.1.1 -t
      You'll see something like this (Press CTRL and 'C' to stop it):

Code:
      C:\Windows\System32>ping 192.168.1.254 -t

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
      If the connection between the device and the router gets flaky then the response time will increase. Timeouts or anything > ~60ms is likely to start causing you problems. Might be worth checking each of the above channels and seeing which one gives the lowest response time.
      Did this and got a few around 20ms when on mixed b/g/n mode and then when i changed it to n only highest was 5ms

Wireless channel has been 13 since intial setup of the router also moved it from mixed b/g/n to n only and have only noticed a few WLAN drops but not any WAN drops.

Having suggested this, it's still not going to stop your actual Internet connection from dropping. That's a separate issue entirely.

There has now been no WAN drops in over 53 hours although still suffering with various WLAN drops (predominately in evening hours)
      Hope some of that helps.

Best regards,
      Please see updated response above
      Last edited by kilasuit; 8 November 2012, 11:45.
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

What happens if you disable wireless N connectivity but leave b/g (presuming the router supports it)? Might also be worth having a look to see if there's an option for extending the duration of the DHCP lease.

Are the WLAN drops specific to a certain device or do they affect all devices on the network?

Would certainly be helpful to try another router if you're able to source one from somewhere (you're right about the deferred contract with the devices we send out, unless they're a replacement for a faulty model).

Must admit, I've not witnessed the simultaneous WAN/WLAN disconnections before and have been through a fair few routers myself.

Best regards,

Comment

I had been suffering for months with a similar problem, ie. wired router drops connection and reboots itself; the router in question was a Zyxel. When the connection dropped, the wireless signal was still being transmitted from the router, but the broadband was down. The router was replaced by my isp with another Zyxel, but still the problem persisted.

I had changed filters several times, had my bb speed upgraded (free of charge); had the profile upped (whatever that means) and had BT out to test the line but the problem continued.

Finally this week one of the really senior bods was referred onto my case and advised me that the router was now having incompatibilities with the exchange due to some upgrades on it. Not sure what it all means, however, my router was replaced with a Netgear, and the problem seems to have been solved.

Certainly, I have had no drops since, and I've had the new router two days. Previously I'd have anything up to 10 drops a day.

Your problem does sound quite similar to mine. My isp replaced my routers free of charge and provided new filter etc. I've been with them 3 years, so definitely out of contract period and out of warranty on the router. I suppose they are just more helpful than some? But considering you pay them £xx pounds per month, surely it is in their interest to help you stay connected.
          Last edited by diddlydee; 8 November 2012, 15:57.
          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I'm not convinced it is the router that's to blame (although it's certainly possible). It could be proved one way or another by kilasuit sourcing another router from somewhere (or trying theirs on another connection).

We could send one but there are contractual considerations so it's not really worth it unless the evidence suggests that it is the DLink that's at fault.

Worth bearing in mind that it's not our router that's being used at the moment (although I recognise we did send one at some point).

kilasuit's connection has been up for over two days whereas you've said:

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
            When the connection dropped, the wireless signal was still being transmitted from the router, but the broadband was down.
            If it was just the WAN connection that was dropping then it would be a relatively simple problem to approach. It's the random WLAN dropouts that are the tricky bit.

Best regards,

Comment

Well been out since 4 came back to completely no way of connecting to router, even ethernet had become unresponsive.

The LED for the internet was off too so was yet another disconnection

Reconnected now but lost 900k in dl speed.

At least i wont be having to put up with this for too long.
              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

The disconnection yesterday may well have been something to do with this.

If you can provide me with a recent support ticket reference or your username then I wouldn't mind taking a look at things here to see if it is that which caused the problem and if there's anything else that I can do.

Must admit, the fact that ethernet was unresponsive does suggest that the router could be playing up.

Best regards,

Comment

My plusnet username is kilasuit90

I think it's a case of when the WAN connection goes down that leaves the router in a bit if a spaz mode. I have found that its been gradually worse thou.

I think next time I see an Openreach engineer by my house ill ask about my line and when/if its gonna be upgraded to fibre and also whether I'm on a separate line as its a new build (ie new cabinet)

Comment

Thanks, the line was upgraded to ADSL2+ on the 31st October.

I can see the PPP drops this side too:

Code:
                    Session StartedSession EndedSession Duration
                    02:50 09/Nov/2012N/A  12:0:39  (on going)
                    20:39 08/Nov/201202:45 09/Nov/2012  6:5:54 
                    06:01 06/Nov/201219:22 08/Nov/2012 2 Days, 13:21:4 
                    06:01 06/Nov/201206:01 06/Nov/2012  0:0:6 
                    17:43 05/Nov/201205:55 06/Nov/2012  12:12:37 
                    15:20 05/Nov/201217:40 05/Nov/2012  2:20:1 
                    00:46 04/Nov/201213:30 05/Nov/2012 One Day, 12:43:30 
                    00:46 04/Nov/201200:46 04/Nov/2012  0:0:0 
                    10:09 03/Nov/201200:27 04/Nov/2012  14:18:43 
                    10:09 03/Nov/201210:09 03/Nov/2012  0:0:0 
                    10:06 03/Nov/201210:09 03/Nov/2012  0:2:8 
                    10:06 03/Nov/201210:06 03/Nov/2012  0:0:9 
                    16:24 01/Nov/201210:03 03/Nov/2012 One Day, 17:39:2
                    It's causing your line profile to fluctuate due to the varying sync speeds each time it reconnects.

The line is pretty long looking at your downstream attenuation which won't be helping.

I can give one of the faults guys a nudge and see if we can get it raised, and get an engineer out.

Given the intermittent nature of the fault it make take some perseverance though and require multiple visits.

I guess it's either that or put up with it until you move

Best regards,

Comment

been found that there is a fault so now have to arrange an engineer out to sort it.

Note in most recent response there is a mention that the guy was requested to look into this by yourself BPullen so many thanks at getting this escalated for me.

Comment

engineer booked for 8-1 2moro

hopefully will be all sorted this time 2moro

Comment

Good luck kila, I hope it all works out for you.
                          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Plusnet found a high resistance fault yesterday but Openreach engineer has found nothing wrong with the line at all.

So back to square one it seems.

Comment

Guessing this wasn't you intentionally disconnecting/reconnecting then?

Code:
                              Session Started  Session Ended  Session Duration
                              09:58 12/Nov/2012  N/A  2:32:1  (on going)
                              10:46 11/Nov/2012  00:57 12/Nov/2012  
                              14:10:43 11:04 10/Nov/2012  05:07 11/Nov/2012  18:2:54
                              As mentioned up there ^^^:

Given the intermittent nature of the fault it make take some perseverance though and require multiple visits.
                              If you want us to keep pushing then feel free to comment on your open support ticket explaining that the problem persists. I'd probably wait for a few more disconnections though before you do (there have only been two I can see so far).

Thanks, the line was upgraded to ADSL2+ on the 31st October.
                              Just to clarify, the line was already ADSL2+ provisioned. It was an order to uncap your upload speed that completed on the 31st.

Best regards,
                              Last edited by bobpullen; 12 November 2012, 12:40.

Comment

Bob

Just like to say thanks for the effort you're putting in here especially as you also have a FT job to consider, we really appreciate the time and effort you're committing to our forum members.

Niddy
                                Forum Administrator
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X