GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Santander car loan - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santander car loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander car loan

I have a motor loan with Santander. Originally GE money. Used it purchase a car from the car shop in November 2008. its for 5 year term so I'm just under half way through (half way in May).

I want to give them (Santander) the keys and walk away from the loan.

Unfortunately the contract states that I have to pay a cash lump sum if terminating early. There's no mention of any return of goods for termination payment, just cash settlement.

On my wife's car loan with Black Horse it clearly states that she can, if she wants, hand the car over in settlement once half the repayments have been made.

With my motor loan this does not appear to be possible.

Does anyone any experience of this? Does the contract HAVE to stipulate that return of goods is permissible?

Re: Santander car loan

The only way return of goods is permissable is if you get repo'd but your criedt will suffer.

May I ask why you want to end the contract? Do you still need a car? Somtimes dealerships will sell a car for you or buyyour car and clear the finance.

Comment

The equity in nthe car is less than the finance, by £1.5K & thats the problem I have.

I want to get rid of the car to save money on the finance and insurance. we can get by as a 1 car family.

Comment

Have a mooch here mate: ---> http://www.financingyourcar.org.uk/c...dcarguides.riv

I was sure so long as 50% was paid then you can hand in the keys and the car and walk away....?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
          Does anyone any experience of this? Does the contract HAVE to stipulate that return of goods is permissible?
          Its written into the CCA matey.....
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            Its written into the CCA matey.....
            ooh thats interesting...is their CCA kosha then?

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Have a mooch here mate: ---> http://www.financingyourcar.org.uk/c...dcarguides.riv

I was sure so long as 50% was paid then you can hand in the keys and the car and walk away....?
              the link doesn't really answer the question about whether Sabtander are obliged or can consider taking the car back in full or part repayment.

CCA to follow...

Comment

here's the CCA and T&C.

Any comment?

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/4abb6f9b.jpg
                http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...0f02b48c-1.jpg
                http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/9966f9ed.jpg
                http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/82c3bcb1.jpg
                Last edited by The Debt Star; 22 January 2011, 17:24.

Comment

Link 1 at the bottom states "you have no right to cancel this agreement under the cca1974".

However, the cca itself supersedes their terms as to grant credit this way surely it must comply with cca or it's an unregulated product meaning they can't take you to court for a ccj lol. Itd be a civil and expensive case.

Nah, let me look into this tmw. I'll update through the night with the legislation for you.

Comment

ps when I say cca I mean consumer credit act 1974 - not an agreement lol.

Comment

Just a quick query - Page 1 - why is there two differing interest rates?

Not to up on Car loans so may be simple answer....
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

One is the rate for finance (interest rate) the other is under the ppi bracket which was slightly higher. It wasn't applicable of course as no ppi taken.

The admin fee is rated separately as it was added to the loan as separate finance at 7%.

Comment

Hi I just wanted to say my husband is a car salesman and generally (now MB uses a different finance company) but he did say to look through because generally there is a clause that says you can hand in your keys

ONCE you are half way through your contract minimum

If you hand your keys back now technically they would auction your car and lets say you had 3k left on it for finance at auction if it made more youd get the more... if it made less youd still owe

Hope this helps Its handy having an FSA approved guy in the motor industry

If you need any further help pending on the type of car it is pm me

Comment

BTW if you hand your car in you will get marked with a VT (voluntary termination) all though this is NOT suppose to go against you... in the real world it does.

My husband is just reading your agreement now he will tell you exactly what will happen give him a few .....slow reader.

Comment

Jen the clause regards to handing keys back is the legislation written into cca1974 that I mentioned. As I say, their contract can say anything but you know what? The cca1974 supersedes it. Lol

It'd be interesting to see what other errors mr BR will find, handy to have around. Does he want a job lol. Yea right, you pair on here would be a nightmare haha

Comment

Working...
                              X