GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help for a fool - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for a fool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a fool

Hi

I'm not sure where to start as I'm obviously new here. Also forgive me if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

Basically I've been a complete idiot with my credit card and I need some help/advice as what to do next.

I have a Lloyds TSB credit card which I haven't used since roughly 2004 and I owe about £2000. My problem is I'm not doing anything about it and I haven't done for years!!
    Due to various reasons, one being I suffer with depression, I tend to just ignore things and think they will go away. I have NEVER spoken to the bank about this and I also ignore every letter I get!

I can't use the phone as I get all worked up and start panicking so I was wondering if some sort of letter or email to Lloyds would help? This is where I need help...I have no idea where to start or what to even ask for or suggest in a letter.

Sorry for being a complete fool, but I would really appreciate some advice.

Cheers!

Re: Help for a fool

Hi and Welcome

Are you paying this ?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi wonganumpty and welcome over here!

First of all, is this the only debt you have?

Can you give us the following information so that we can see what we're dealing with?

• Type of account (credit card/loan)

• Date commenced (ideally before Apr 2007)

• Approx balance

• Date last paid (approximate date you last made a FULL payment)

• Are you on arrangement or not paying

• Status (default/in arrears/up-to-date)

• Account owner (who is writing to you, a DCA or the lender)

If you have more than one debt, then do this for each debt in a separate post on this thread.

BTW - you're not a fool - you've come to the right place for help
      Last edited by Pixie; 30 April 2012, 07:18.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Wonganumpty glad you found your way here...

Don't beat yourself up about getting into dificulties. It happens to the best of us, and depression is known to cause bouts of overspending.

You'll get lots of support on here.

Do you still have the last letter they sent you? If so, what did it say..we need to know the state of play so we can help.

Can you remember the last time you paid anything? We need to establish whether it's Statute Barred..

Shep x

Comment

Thanks both, but please be gentle with me.

Hope this makes sense??

• Type of account : Lloyds credit card

• Date commenced : no idea

• Approx balance : £2000

• Date last paid : no idea

• Are you on arrangement or not paying : this is the complicated bit. I was paying...many years ago. I have no idea when i stopped paying regular, but sure it was over 5years ago. Then i would only make random payments. Also I have no proof of this as i have destroyed the statements etc, but i think Lloyds were taking money out of my bank account when i previously missed payments.

• Account owner : letters are from Lloyds collections centre

Comment

I wouldn't pay them anything.

Send them Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | CCA Request, signed digitally (ie using a handwriting font on your computer) and enclosing an unsigned £1 Postal Order, sending it Recorded Delivery. Let us know what you receive back.

Your credit rating will be trashed for 6 years but, if you've not been making regular payments it will be trashed anyway.

Do you bank with Lloyds TSB? If so, open a new bank account with another bank that you don't have any financial link to ( The Coop are good)

Comment

I agree with Pixie,
              That request letter is for a copy of your credit card agreement, and they should also send a statement of account so you can see where you are with it.

The aim is to find out whether they have the right to demand money from you, ie do they have a copy of the agreement, (many don't) and if they do, is it actually enforceable, ie drafted correctly.

Have a read around the forum too, it's a very friendly place, and...we're always gentle!

Just shout if there's anything you're not sure about,

Shep x

Comment

Can I just point out - why send off a CCA at this stage? The OP clearly says he's not paid in many years so I would be biting at SB and thus would ignore all letters.

If they do happen to get nasty in the months to come then fine, we'll then deal with that as and when but for now, assuming no payments have been made for "years" I would most definitely not be sending a CCA.

Why bother? Just see what they do, keep us updated and sit tight - they won't do much for £2k.....
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  Can I just point out - why send off a CCA at this stage? The OP clearly says he's not paid in many years so I would be biting at SB and thus would ignore all letters.

If they do happen to get nasty in the months to come then fine, we'll then deal with that as and when but for now, assuming no payments have been made for "years" I would most definitely not be sending a CCA.

Why bother? Just see what they do, keep us updated and sit tight - they won't do much for £2k.....
                  Niddy, I think the OP has been making some payments, just not regular ones.

Originally posted by wonganumpty View Post

[*]Are you on arrangement or not paying : this is the complicated bit. I was paying...many years ago. I have no idea when i stopped paying regular, but sure it was over 5years ago. Then i would only make random payments. Also I have no proof of this as i have destroyed the statements etc, but i think Lloyds were taking money out of my bank account when i previously missed payments.

Comment

Thanks Pixie

Still before sending cca we need more info otherwise best advice is to ignore and await their next letter - see what they do....

The uncertainty of last payment date is what's worrying me as it could be SB and this is a fishing excercise.

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Just to clarify; normally yea a cca would be fine but it's the confusion involved that's making me think the dca are fishing...

Comment

I agree that we need to know the last payment date but the OP seems uncertain when that was.

As LTSB are 'only' demanding £121.75, would that indicate that OP isn't too far behind with payments?

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, but i'm still scared as what to do next??

Comment

No being scared, have you any idea when you last paid?
                            was it recently?
                            how much is the total debt?

We are asking this because the amount they are demanding isn't a great deal, so it would help if we were clear on this.

Comment

No need to be scared wonganumpty, they're not going to do anything drastic for £120 or even for £2000.

As the others have said, we really need to know when you last paid as that will determine with path we think you should take.

Comment

Working...
                              X