GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Campaigners in USA buy individuals' debts for pennies and write them off - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaigners in USA buy individuals' debts for pennies and write them off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaigners in USA buy individuals' debts for pennies and write them off

Campaigners in USA buy individuals' debts for pennies and write them off
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Campaigners in USA buy individuals' debts for pennies and write them off

Well done to them!
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Pity we can't do it here. I would gladly donate to help out those that realy need it,

Comment

Its an interesting discussion...........

If an original creditor is able to sell a debt onto a 'debt purchasing firm' then why is it not possible to just accept a F&F offer of the same amount?

Or what would stop a collection of private individuals from setting up a company and then 'purchasing' their debt from the original creditors.
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

if it was bought at £1 and settled at £2 its still profit
          I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

It would be good to see some legislation that said that the loan had to be offered to the debtor at the same price it was sold to the DCA before the deal was done.

Or perhaps to one of the debt charities, who would then reclaim it in installments from the debtor without any profit or interest. Perhaps CCCS

Comment

An additional thought, wouldn't this put DCAs out of business ?

Wouldn't that be a shame?

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                It would be good to see some legislation that said that the loan had to be offered to the debtor at the same price it was sold to the DCA before the deal was done.

Or perhaps to one of the debt charities, who would then reclaim it in installments from the debtor without any profit or interest. Perhaps CCCS
                It's big business dca

Comment

If you can obtain a CCL, register a company, and tender the banks to buy bad debt, then theres no reason why you couldnt accept F & F's as low as £2.

What you couldnt do, is buy a debt for £5 and accept a F & F for £2 as that would be a loss, and a company wouldnt be able to trade at a loss for very long!

Comment

I would like to know the nitty gritty about how these DCA's actually buy the debt.
                    The creditor obviously takes it off his balance sheet and writes it off his profit and loss against tax and then sells?

What exactly is he selling, I am sure it is all perfectly above board i just need someone to explain it to me.

From reading my regular free copy of credit today over the years, I get the idea that the whole relationship is more than a little incestuous, a lot of people selling stuff that they don't really own, to other people who turn out to be themselves, in the guise of another company.
                    A person less afraid of a suit for litigation may almost say it was money laundering but I could not possibly comment.

What we would need is someone who works for one of these DCA's to be converted to the "light side", sort of a Darth Vader in reverse, someone who could clue us in , on how it works and maybe open the door to spoil their little game.
                    Last edited by gravytrain; 11 November 2012, 18:08. Reason: spelling

Comment

How they sell debt, is probably no different to how you are lent money.

An agreement is drawn, one is paid, the other owns the rights.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                        How they sell debt, is probably no different to how you are lent money.

An agreement is drawn, one is paid, the other owns the rights.

You would think, but what they are selling is equity,
                        When you took out your loan you got a sum of money, all that changes hands here is the promise of repayment, the actual loss has been written off against tax.

Comment

Actually, its no different.

When you agree to a loan, the agreement becomes equity. The money is drawn in to existance once you sign that agreement.

Some numbers are added to your account, you arnt actually given physical cash, and no one actually loses money and hands it over to you.

You assume it is, because you can draw on it, but thats from the bank, who gives you the money based on the numbers shown in your account.

Banks, lend 10 times or even more, to the value of deposits, its called fractional reserve.

What you repay, is the only thing physical about it, and the agreement is only a promise to repay the debt you signed up to agree to.

EDIT: bad debts, are actually listed on balance sheets, balance sheets are assets over liabilities. even that in itself is not physical money, any accountant will tell you that.
                          Last edited by SXGuy; 11 November 2012, 20:51.

Comment

No when i get a loan i like the cash

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                              Actually, its no different.

When you agree to a loan, the agreement becomes equity. The money is drawn in to existance once you sign that agreement.

Some numbers are added to your account, you arnt actually given physical cash, and no one actually loses money and hands it over to you.

You assume it is, because you can draw on it, but thats from the bank, who gives you the money based on the numbers shown in your account.

Banks, lend 10 times or even more, to the value of deposits, its called fractional reserve.

What you repay, is the only thing physical about it, and the agreement is only a promise to repay the debt you signed up to agree to.

EDIT: bad debts, are actually listed on balance sheets, balance sheets are assets over liabilities. even that in itself is not physical money, any accountant will tell you that.
                              Sorry rude reply.
                              Last edited by gravytrain; 11 November 2012, 21:18. Reason: see above

Comment

Working...
                              X