GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Quantitatively Eased UE Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quantitatively Eased UE Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantitatively Eased UE Diary

Up D’Nile without a paddle – heading for that well known creek

Around the turn of the century I went through a messy divorce, had problems with a downturn in business profitability and had a mid-life crisis – all around the same time.

To cut a long story short I ended up with very few assets and loads of debts, plus a total change of lifestyle as I cut back on work and spent more time at home trying to bring up 4 teenagers and reassess my life.

To be fair I’d had debt problems since the mid-90s and had been stuck in a revolving credit nightmare for years.

Before the divorce I’d looked into an IVA – but we had some equity in the house and the business was growing and I thought there was enough light up ahead.

Anyway, I found myself unable to service my debts and did what most people appear to do – I stopped opening the letters.

After a while I decided to make a token payment of about £ 30 per month to each account – no pro-rata split as I didn’t really know how much I owed (it was close to 6 figures).

I was surprised by how many then sent me paying in slips along with requests for a breakdown of my finances – of course a few kept sending threatening letters.

I ignored these requests and just paid everybody the same amount for the next 6 years or so, missing the odd month or 2 when things got too tight.

Very few sent me statements and the occasional DCA letters made me think than even fewer were adding interest or charges.

Then I became aware of the people claiming back their bank charges and thought that it might be worth looking into – but I didn’t bother as I kept reading about a 6 year limit.

Eventually I cut the monthly payments down to a few pounds per month each. Very few of them complained. Many even kept offering special 50% off deals if I settled today.

Then in Q2 of 2009 after reading lots of forum items about unenforceability (a lot of I them written by Niddy) I decided to write to everybody asking for a copy of my credit agreements.

What an eye opener that was!

I couldn’t believe that a simple couple of polite paragraphs would start to get me back in the black.

I knew that my credit report was bad news as I’d recently tried to apply for a business loan with RBS (to get over a cash-flow problem due to late payers) only to be told that they couldn’t lend me anything as I had failed a credit check – I pointed out the irony that RBS had also found itself short of funds and needing to be bailed out by the tax payer (which included me and the person I was speaking to) and that Mr Brown was telling us that the best way out of debt was to spend your way out (or did that only apply to countries).

So I decided that I wouldn’t bother paying anybody anything else until they proved that their credit agreement was valid.

I haven’t paid a penny to anybody since.

Whilst my story may be uplifting for some, please think about what you’re going to do and make your own decisions – but whatever you decide to do make a start by opening the envelopes.

Take a good look at Niddy’s templates they cover most situations.

If you’re getting threatening phone calls consider changing your phone number – the kids do it all the time and it’s a good excuse to contact your real friends. Send a letter to the DCA telling them that you’re only going to correspond by letter and for them to remove your phone number from their database and that they don’t have your permission to send any callers onto your property.

No matter how bad you feel just remember that there are millions of people that don’t even have clean drinking water and sanitation.

In the next couple of posts I’ll give you an overview of where I am with everybody.
    Quotes from the Bank of England website about 'Quantitative Easing'.
    Instead of lowering Bank Rate to increase the amount of money in the economy, the Bank supplies extra money directly ...
    This does not involve printing more banknotes. Instead the Bank pays for these assets by creating money electronically and crediting the accounts of ...

How to I apply to be Quantitatively Eased?

My UE diary is showthread.php?t=640

Re: Quantitatively Eased UE Diary

Most of my credit cards and bank accounts were opened from the early-80s to the late-90s, so I’m not surprised that some lenders can’t find the original paperwork (I only have copies of few myself).

I’ll put more details when I have time – most have been inactive for the last 18 months

This is a list of lenders – type of borrowing – and outstanding balance

Abbey National – bank account – £ 3k
    CCA request sent to Wescot – no reply

Abbey National – credit card – £ 4k
    CCA sent to Equidebt – no reply

Abbey National – personal loan – £ 10k
    CCA sent to Credit Ancillary Services – cheque returned to me
    Abbey National sent an unreadable copy of agreement plus an extra page of newly typed T&Cs

Bank of Scotland – Texaco Global – credit card – £ 5k
    CCA request sent to EOS Solutions – cheque returned to me

Barclaycard – credit card – £ 8k
    CCA sent to Intrum Justitia – wrote back still looking for original agreement
    2006 Default Notice from when debit was sold

Barclaycard – credit card – £ 5k
    CCA sent to Cabot Financial – wrote back still looking for original agreement
    2006 Default Notice from when debit was sold

Barclayloan – personal loan - £ 4k
    CCA sent to Barclays – wrote back saying they couldn't match the account number with my name

Co-operative Bank – credit card – £ 11k

Co-operative Bank – flexi loan – £ 6k

Forward Trust – First Direct – HFC Bank – personal loan – £ 1k
    CCA sent to TBI Financial – wrote back still looking for original agreement

GE Capital – First National – Tricity Finance – personal loan (1 year interest free) – £ 6k
    CCA sent to Aktiv Kapital – wrote back still looking for original agreement

GM Card – HFC Bank – credit card – £ 7k
    CCA sent to Wescot – no reply

HSBC – credit card – £ 4k
    CCA sent to HSBC – sent pages of newly typed T&Cs

MBNA – credit card – £ 7k
    CCA sent to Link Financial – wrote back still looking for original agreement

That’s £ 80k in 14 accounts (I think half of it is late payment charges and excess interest) which was being paid off at £ 420 per month and would have taken another 16 years if I hadn't reduced the payments to just £ 500 per year which would have paid them off in 2160 if I carried on paying them even after my 200th birthday.
    Instead of lowering Bank Rate to increase the amount of money in the economy, the Bank supplies extra money directly ...
    This does not involve printing more banknotes. Instead the Bank pays for these assets by creating money electronically and crediting the accounts of ...

Comment

Hiya

Sorry for the delay - basically, if you lay out each debt as follows: ---> viewtopic.php?p=6789#p6789

We'll be able to work through each for you, obviously you should do this pending your CCA requests but do not chase theose that have not responded, just leave them to default your request as this makes the account UE until they do respond.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

No problem - most accounts have been in limbo for 18 months, as most CCA requests were either ignored or they said they were still looking for the original credit agreement

Only the 2 Barclaycard defaults appear on the CRAs
        I don't have any actual paperwork about these DNs
        Thinking about my very limited options to see if they can be removed
        viewtopic.php?f=55&t=806

I presume that if the other accounts issued DNs then they have already passed the 6 year mark and disappeared
        but it is strange that I don't have any paperwork that clear state "This is a DN" even though I have lots of "If you do not pay we will issue a DN" letters over the years

Can a CRA report on the status of an account after the 6 year DN has expired?

Comment

Originally posted by Quantitatively Eased
          No problem - most accounts have been in limbo for 18 months, as most CCA requests were either ignored or they said they were still looking for the original credit agreement
          Ahh, so you're playing the no news is good news game and just ignoring them yea?

Only the 2 Barclaycard defaults appear on the CRAs / I don't have any actual paperwork about these DNs
          They do not need to send copies, a system note confirming one was automatically sent would suffice - prior to arguing DN's we suggest a SAR (Advanced) however in this case, i'd save your energy.

Thinking about my very limited options to see if they can be removed
          viewtopic.php?f=55&t=806
          Not checked thread yet, I will do later and comment accordingly on it. However i'd not worry about default removal, it is a waste of energy when you know you have the risk of other debts coming back anyway! i.e. if a lender issues a ccj etc

I presume that if the other accounts issued DNs then they have already passed the 6 year mark and disappeared
          Not necessarily, not all lenders use CRA's......

but it is strange that I don't have any paperwork that clear state "This is a DN" even though I have lots of "If you do not pay we will issue a DN" letters over the years
          Maybe you were not defaulted? Sleeping dogs and all that....... hh

Can a CRA report on the status of an account after the 6 year DN has expired?
          Not unless the account was still active! However after it has run its worse course then it should be gone, forever. Lets assume you got defaulted in 2005 and made payments after this to clear the debt - in 2011 the default and whole entry would be wiped, regardless of the fact there is a blanace outstanding.

Default / Termination is the official closure of the account so 6 years later it would be wiped forever from CRA's - unless they got a CCJ.......

Make sense?
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

[quote=Never-In-Doubt]
            Originally posted by "Quantitatively Eased":1onemzvg
            Ahh, so you're playing the no news is good news game and just ignoring them yea?

Maybe you were not defaulted? Sleeping dogs and all that....... hh
            [/quote:1onemzvg]

Yes let sleeping DCAs lie, they've got lots of practice

I don't see the point in poking them unless I've got a sharp enough stick 8->

Comment

lol, I agree mate - just sit tight for the moment and see what happens yea?

Comment

Working...
              X